not sure what to get - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 15-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Regular
Default not sure what to get

Hi

I'm lee and i'm a newbie to this forum. I'm looking to get a new pet as i've had the usual pets throughout my life and want something different. So far i've had cats, dogs, tropical and marine fish tanks, gerbils, hamsters, rats and Giant Land Snails, i also used to help my uncle with his garter snakes.

I'm not sure what to get now. I'm undecided whether to get a beardie, gecko, snake (something small to start with like a corn or garter) or maybe an emperor scorpion.

I have 3 kids (ages 3, 8 & 10) and i want to get them involved as i loved all the animals i've ever had and it's educational for them rather than spending time infront of the TV or playing games on the computer.

I would love a pacman / bullfrog but the wife has said a definite no to any frog (weird, she doesn't mind spiders but wont go near a frog).

I have enough room to house all of the above but not sure what would be best to start with. Just looking for some advice. I usually get a nice bonus from work at christmas so not looking to get something straight away as i want to do as much research before getting something.

Thanks in advance
Advertisement

Old 15-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Forum Citizen

Probably a Leo. They can become really tame, are easy to care for, have great personalities and come in loads of different colour morphs!
sethiman likes this.
Old 15-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Regular

sorry for my ignorance but what is a leo?
Advertisement

Old 15-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Regular
Cool

Leopard gecko! (Leo) they're awesome, I've got the one at the moment, they're really easy to care for and as this will be your first lizard, they are quite tolerant of their surroundings. So it doesn't matter if you forget to feed one night, or their temperature drops by a couple of degrees. You don't really have to worry. As long as you get on top of anything that goes wrong fairly wuick you should be fine.

And as long as you tame him or her, it will be great with kids!
sethiman likes this.
Old 15-11-2012, 11:23 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee331 View Post
sorry for my ignorance but what is a leo?
That would be a leopard gecko personally I would go for a snake, as lizards would most likely be a look but don't touch pet for your youngest child whereas with a snake they can stroke them. Corns are great, they were my first snake. Hatchlings will be quite small to start off with so if you're looking for something the children can interact with then an older one may be a good choice. That being said if the kids are just going to watch them then there's no reason to not get a lizard either There are a couple of shows coming up depending on where you are in the country, the Doncaster show on Sunday and the CREAKS show in Kidderminster on the 2nd of December. These are great places to pop along and look at all the different species and chat to breeders to get a good idea of what you might like in the future as well as just being a great day out.

DEED NOT BREED! SAY NO TO BSL!

The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world, but it WILL change the world for that one animal.
Old 15-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Regular

thanks, i'll take a look at them. I see a lot of terminology and acronyms and its like another language. I guess i'll get it one day
Old 16-11-2012, 01:05 AM
Postaholic Member
Reviews: 7
Send a message via MSN to Ophexis

With the ages of your children and your wish to get them involved, I'd consider a bearded dragon to be honest. They are diurnal so will be awake and ready to come out for some attention when your kids are up, and can be full of personality! They can seem to really enjoy interaction if treated well.
Leopard geckos are also a good choice as they're pretty sturdy and can grow to be rather tame. They are also a good size for small child hands.

0.1.0 H. Caudicinctus - "Panya"
0.1.0 R. Auriculatus "Lotus"
1.1.0 F. Catus - "Dudley" and "Kitten"
1.1.0 C. lupus familiaris - "Jazzy" and "Gizmo"

Sleep well Toby, you will always be my special boy 15/08/2010, 5:15pm
Old 16-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Super Citizen

Most reptile shops will have Beardies, Leos and corns. Why not take your kids and see what excities them. If you want them to be involved in makes sense to involve them from the start.

All the above are good choices for kids to be involved in my opinion.

If your wife is not too keen on the frog idea you might want to check how she is about live crickets in the house chirping away all night and frozen mice in her freezer.
Old 16-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee331 View Post
Hi

I'm lee and i'm a newbie to this forum. I'm looking to get a new pet as i've had the usual pets throughout my life and want something different. So far i've had cats, dogs, tropical and marine fish tanks, gerbils, hamsters, rats and Giant Land Snails, i also used to help my uncle with his garter snakes.

I'm not sure what to get now. I'm undecided whether to get a beardie, gecko, snake (something small to start with like a corn or garter) or maybe an emperor scorpion.

I have 3 kids (ages 3, 8 & 10) and i want to get them involved as i loved all the animals i've ever had and it's educational for them rather than spending time infront of the TV or playing games on the computer.

I would love a pacman / bullfrog but the wife has said a definite no to any frog (weird, she doesn't mind spiders but wont go near a frog).

I have enough room to house all of the above but not sure what would be best to start with. Just looking for some advice. I usually get a nice bonus from work at christmas so not looking to get something straight away as i want to do as much research before getting something.

Thanks in advance
Firstly welcome lee. All the above are a good place to start the only one i havent is a leo altho i will be looking to change that soon. However if you want the kids involved i would rule out the scorpian. Ive had one she a very tempromental and moody old girl. I took quite a few nips from her. Fortunatly she gave enough warning before she used her stinger so i avioded that one but kids may not. However my recommendation based on personal experiences would be a beardie very lively, very friendly and to be fair even in the incredibly rare circumstance that they wanted to cause harm they arent really capable of it. My nephewd love coming round to my house to see the zoo but most of the animals they will steer well clear of but they love the beardy and he can come out and i just leave him to run around the house for a couple of hours great character fantastic temperament very hardy and once youve got the set up sorted very easy to care for.
Good luck whatever your endeavour
Old 16-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revobuzz View Post
Most reptile shops will have Beardies, Leos and corns. Why not take your kids and see what excities them. If you want them to be involved in makes sense to involve them from the start.

All the above are good choices for kids to be involved in my opinion.

If your wife is not too keen on the frog idea you might want to check how she is about live crickets in the house chirping away all night and frozen mice in her freezer.
The wife is fine with crickets and mice (she used to hold the rats, gerbils and hamsters we had). I have spare space in the freezer and i do most of the cooking so no problem with her going in the freezer.

There is a good reptile shop in northampton, so i might pop down there with the kids at the weekend and see what they like the most. Our neighbour has 4 corn snakes and they have been round to see them several times. A friend also has loads of exotics and they've seen them a few times too.