New To Reptiles. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 17-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Egg
Red face New To Reptiles.

Hi, im a 22 year old male from Chorley, Lancashire

Im totally new to reptiles, and after a few months of revising about snakes, i think im ready to take the leap and purchase one, now, i would like to know if anyone knows of any shops in the lancashire area (with a website) that is cheap, and cheerful.

I have ordered a 3ft vivarium, heat matt, hide cave, water bowl, and temp sensor, now, im looking more at the beginner snakes (ball pythons and corn snakes).

I just want to know if i need a heat lamp, as my friend has a ball python and has only a heat matt under its hidecave, and he has had no problems with his snake atall? i just want to be sure that i have everything i need before i buy one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Ultra Citizen

Ceramic bulbs are a better way of heating snakes that are generally bigger and heavier than say corn snakes.

The best way to look at is a heat mat radiates heat to solid objects, so in theory the heat mat is not heating up the air viv but the object that is directly in contact with.

A large snake sitting on a heat mat will not get the benefit of being heated from above and around it, only the part that is in contact with the mat etc.

A ceramic bulb heats up the air in the viv which in turn warms the snake.

So big snakes = ceramic bulbs
small snakes = heat mats (although you can use ceramics if you wish)

Having said that I used to keep a royal on a heat and had no problems, but if I was going to get another royal i would set ip with a ceramic.

P.S a ceramic needs a different thermostat to a head mat.
Old 19-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Regular

hey
I have a royal and use red heat bulb mainly as means I can see her and sets a better overall temp for her 4ft viv .
I tend to find that once her basking spot/hide is the right temp the rest of the viv sorts itself out nicely.
beware though snakes are so addictive one is never enough
butch & sundance ,bearded dragons
chaz & dave ,budgies
sooty & sweep, polecats
thumper, rabbit
goldfish and gerbils
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpster View Post
Ceramic bulbs are a better way of heating snakes that are generally bigger and heavier than say corn snakes.

The best way to look at is a heat mat radiates heat to solid objects, so in theory the heat mat is not heating up the air viv but the object that is directly in contact with.

A large snake sitting on a heat mat will not get the benefit of being heated from above and around it, only the part that is in contact with the mat etc.

A ceramic bulb heats up the air in the viv which in turn warms the snake.

So big snakes = ceramic bulbs
small snakes = heat mats (although you can use ceramics if you wish)

Having said that I used to keep a royal on a heat and had no problems, but if I was going to get another royal i would set ip with a ceramic.

P.S a ceramic needs a different thermostat to a head mat.
Great answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by piebaldlover View Post
hey
I have a royal and use red heat bulb mainly as means I can see her and sets a better overall temp for her 4ft viv .
I tend to find that once her basking spot/hide is the right temp the rest of the viv sorts itself out nicely.
beware though snakes are so addictive one is never enough
It also means the snake is only warm when the bulb is on - for people like me where the viv is in my sitting room I don't want a bulb on for 18-24 hours a day. A ceramic is the best alternative to a mat IMO, with LED's for viewing if you so wish
piebaldlover likes this.
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Old 19-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Ultra Citizen

I would see if there are any breeders in your area , have an ask in snake section. Best to get from a good breeder be aware you are going to want more , reps soo addictive
Old 23-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Forum Citizen

Warrington pets and exotics have a wicked selection mate as do Reptilia in ossett Yorkshire. Triple 8 are good and blue reptile are also brilliant but they aren't local to you. Warrington pets its the nuts though.
Old 23-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Forum Citizen

Breeders are prolly the best option though If you have a species in mind.

Tags
ball python , beginner , corn snake , snake