Hi im new here... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice


  #1 (permalink)  
Old 18-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Super Regular
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Harlow
Posts: 223
Default Hi im new here...

Hello Everyone,

My name is Alan. I've been lurking here for quite a while just signed up for an account so i can join the fun.

I've wanted a snake ever since I was about 12 however my Mum would never allow it I'm now 26 (well on the 24th of november I will be.) and I am all moved out living with my lovely wife, who after a year of nagging on my part has finally agreed that I can get my pet snake yay! So I've been researching long and hard and I have spent a lot of time reading and I think I've decided on a royal/ball python (seems like the uk prefer royal and yanks prefer ball?)

So after my research I understand it's not unusual for these guys to go off their food, however every advert I've read always says good feeder etc... So is it something that only effects adult royals? (most of the ads I've read are for CB12 snakes.) or is it always a case of "If my snake is not feeding I'm doing something wrong" or are all these adverts not 100% true or is the whole not eating thing just over hyped on the internet?

This leads me on to my next point how long without food is too long? For instance if I was to get one of these guys and my snake goes off of food when should I start to worry? I watched a breeders video on youtube saying that a particular snake had gone off her food for 4 months! (amazing anything can live that long without eating!) The guy didn't seem particularly bothered about it it was more like a flippant remark.

I think I've also decided on housing the little guy or girl in a RUB at least for a while I know there is the whole viv versus RUB debate but judging from pretty much every video I've watched and post I've read, the overwhelming vibe is RUB>viv for these guys, (I'm not anti viv btw I'd rather have a viv they look nicer lol.) I just want to do what is best for the snake.

The wife works in a bar, and theres a guy she knows that breeds all kinds of exotics. He seems like a really top notch bloke so I might have a polite word and ask if I could borrow one of his royals for a while to see how it would suit me makes more sense than having to re-home something that i can't handle.

Anyway sorry for the wall of text just thought I'd say hi and get a few pointers.

-Alan

Last edited by NezA; 18-11-2012 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 18-11-2012, 12:06 PM
snakesandscales's Avatar
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In the reptile room
Posts: 479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NezA View Post
Hello Everyone,

My name is Alan. I've been lurking here for quite a while just signed up for an account so i can join the fun.

I've wanted a snake ever since I was about 12 however my Mum would never allow it I'm now 26 (well on the 24th of november I will be.) and I am all moved out living with my lovely wife, who after a year of nagging on my part has finally agreed that I can get my pet snake yay! So I've been researching long and hard and I have spent a lot of time reading and I think I've decided on a royal/ball python (seems like the uk prefer royal and yanks prefer ball?)

So after my research I understand it's not unusual for these guys to go off their food, however every advert I've read always says good feeder etc... So is it something that only effects adult royals? (most of the ads I've read are for CB12 snakes.) or is it always a case of "If my snake is not feeding I'm doing something wrong" or are all these adverts not 100% true or is the whole not eating thing just over hyped on the internet?

This leads me on to my next point how long without food is too long? For instance if I was to get one of these guys and my snake goes off of food when should I start to worry? I watched a breeders video on youtube saying that a particular snake had gone off her food for 4 months! (amazing anything can live that long without eating!) The guy didn't seem particularly bothered about it it was more like a flippant remark.

I think I've also decided on housing the little guy or girl in a RUB at least for a while I know there is the whole viv versus RUB debate but judging from pretty much every video I've watched and post I've read, the overwhelming vibe is RUB>viv for these guys, (I'm not anti viv btw I'd rather have a viv they look nicer lol.) I just want to do what is best for the snake.

The wife works in a bar, and theres a guy she knows that breeds all kinds of exotics. He seems like a really top notch bloke so I might have a polite word and ask if I could borrow one of his royals for a while to see how it would suit me makes more sense than having to re-home something that i can't handle.

Anyway sorry for the wall of text just thought I'd say hi and get a few pointers.

-Alan


Some royals go their entire lives without a major feeding issue. All snakes miss a feed or two once in their lifetime. They have too much of a bad reputation IMO. Ofcourse some will be awful feeders, but thats just something to get around. If its a reputable breeder, then you should trust the ad. If you would like to know some good breeders in the hobby give me a shout and I can point you in the direction of some fantastic people.

How long is too long? How long is a piece of string? Depends on the age, weight, health etc of the animal.

RUB's are fine. So are vivs. I too, am well aware of the debates over it. I just hand-built a bunch of display cages into an old wardrobe. I like so be able to see my snakes chilling and behaving how snakes do. When I hatch babies I have a rack and I've used RUB's too and will continue to do so. There are pros and cons of both and its really down to personal preference and interest really. I mean, its more economically feasible for a breeder to put his snakes in RUB's and racks compared to a keeper like myself who likes to see my snakes more clearly and often. As I said, I use RUB's too, but less commonly that a breeder or someone like that would.

As long as you provide the critter with proper temps and conditions then your fine.

Hope this helped!

Your not the only one whom posts walls of text!

Andy
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 18-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Regular
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Here, there and everywhere
Posts: 147
Default

i dont own a royal but my mate does and its a funny wee thing. anyway just wanted to wish you all the best.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 18-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cannock, Staffordshire
Posts: 410
Default Hi

First up Alan welcome to the forum.

I have a royal that I brought as a hatchling and she feeds pretty much all the time. She has on occasion fasted the longest being for around two months, but in general she eats well.

Royals as wth all snakes can go off there food and some can be fussy eaters all their lives, but I think they have a stigma attached to them that they are bad feeders and in general I'm not sure if this is true. You only have to look at all the people that own them, if they are such bad feeders and a hassle they would not be so popular.

They are fairly easy snakes to keep provided they are kept at the right temperature, have hides to shy away etc.

There are many people on this forum who would help if you had any trouble or questions with the husbandry.

Hope this helps
__________________
Morelia viridis 1.0.0 (Abu)
Corallus hortulanus 1.0.1 (Charon & Darth Maul)
Python regius 0.1.0 (Pricilla)
Gongylophis colubrinus 1.0.0 (Bertie)

My Reptile Pictures Post @ http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...l#post10328934

See My Reptiles @ http://s784.photobucket.com/user/dar...ry/My%20Snakes
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Banned
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Berkshire
Posts: 336
Default

All types of snake can be "bad" feeders. If you give a royal/ball( i prefer ball) the right enviroment etc it will feed as it should. Normally when small they will feed with gutso until they get to near adult when a lot of females will fast for a while. Males will fast as adults at breeding time, but it is just what they do, they are not bad feeders you just need to understand them.They can be easily stressed and folk can make them go off their food more by continuously trying different stuff all the time. You just need to be patient with them,let them do their thing all the time they are in good shape and not looking unhealthy.You would be better off getting one a few months or more old and about 300g and an established feeder as some can be a pain when hatchlings.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2012, 01:42 AM
Super Regular
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Harlow
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by langerspies View Post
All types of snake can be "bad" feeders. If you give a royal/ball( i prefer ball) the right enviroment etc it will feed as it should. Normally when small they will feed with gutso until they get to near adult when a lot of females will fast for a while. Males will fast as adults at breeding time, but it is just what they do, they are not bad feeders you just need to understand them.They can be easily stressed and folk can make them go off their food more by continuously trying different stuff all the time. You just need to be patient with them,let them do their thing all the time they are in good shape and not looking unhealthy.You would be better off getting one a few months or more old and about 300g and an established feeder as some can be a pain when hatchlings.
Thanks for the replies everyone. When you say trying different stuff all the time do you mean moving them around too much messing with their surroundings and stuff? Or do you mean too many changes with diet? Is it just a case of if it aint broke don't try and fix it?

I was definitely thinking somewhere around the 300g mark would be good still plenty of growth to go

And lastly can anyone recommend a good heat mat and thermostat combo for say a 12 litre RUB i want to buy all the bits before I start looking at snakes, I'm the sort of guy if I see one I like I will just buy it then and there! So I want to make sure I have all the bits I need before I start looking.

Many thanks,

-Alan
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Artisan's Avatar
Postaholic Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Apocalypse Central....
Posts: 13,305
Default

Hi and welcome

Not all royals go on starving sprees and the ones that do....do it for lots of different reasons be it breeding season/they're not feeling secure in their enclosures/wrong or incorrect husbandry etc
If you go for a baby then make sure its a reliable feeder before its sold to you and obviously its better to have your RUB set up and running for a week before you actually get it so that you are certain all temps etc are perfect so theres no messing about when the little guy is moved in to it and it can settle right in there.
Pack the rub out with lots of cover...i.e. hides/plants/cover so it will feel secure almost immediately after a few days of settling into its new surroundings and also avoid handling for a week or 2 to allow to settle well. Its not always important to leave all snakes to settle in, but you never know what type of character yours will have so its best to let it have this time to settle just incase it has a nervy/stressy personality (some arnt) i have and adult and a young baby - both males and they are both really confident and outgoing and have fed from day one and love to come out for handling, so much so that sometimes i open their viv or rub....they are happy to come out to me by themselves....so not all are stressy panic bags!
Royals are lovely snakes and mine are often out during the day too.
habistat are a good make of mat and stat....take a look on "surrey pet supplies" website....you wont find stuff much cheaper or you could try "ebay" for mats. if youre planning on 300g or there abouts...i would say get an 18ltr rub, its a better shape then a 12ltr and you can fit a bit more decor in there and a nice ceramic dog bowl (small) big enough for it to soak in if it needs to.
__________________
Promoting Quality Care Of Boas & Various Geckos
-------------------------------------------

Artisan Reptiles - Facebook
-------------------------------------------
Lover & keeper of Boa Constrictor - Morphs/Commons/Dwarfs/BCI/BCC/BCA
plus
various Day, Satanic Leaftailed, Leachianus, other Gecko species
&
Western Hognose among other beautiful creatures!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2012, 10:21 AM
sharpstrain's Avatar
RFUK Premium Membership
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 16,399
Default

Hi Alan

Welcome to RFUK - it is an odd place but really useful

Can I just ask why you have decided on a royal ? I know lots of people do and that of course is OK - but there are loads of different snakes out there and I just wondered if you have thought about a variety.

The reason that I am asking is that from your post I suspect you are likely to get and stick to one snake?

Have you looked at male boas (if size is an issue) - great snakes to handled and rarely have feeding problems
Kingsnakes/Milksnakes (lovely colouring and small)

There are so many others - Just worth a look before you finally decide
__________________
He played it left hand, but made it too far, became the special man





Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Regular
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: essex
Posts: 96
Default

hey alan
Im fairly new to the snake world as well, I own a lovely female royal and am picking up a male at the end of the month .
The snake world is very addictive so beware !!!!!
__________________
[SIGPIC] my pets ..
apple, lemon bumble bee royal python
cookie & minty, staff & greyhound
butch & sundance ,bearded dragons
chaz & dave ,budgies
sooty & sweep, polecats
thumper, rabbit
goldfish and gerbils
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Super Regular
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Harlow
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstrain View Post
Hi Alan

Welcome to RFUK - it is an odd place but really useful

Can I just ask why you have decided on a royal ? I know lots of people do and that of course is OK - but there are loads of different snakes out there and I just wondered if you have thought about a variety.

The reason that I am asking is that from your post I suspect you are likely to get and stick to one snake?

Have you looked at male boas (if size is an issue) - great snakes to handled and rarely have feeding problems
Kingsnakes/Milksnakes (lovely colouring and small)

There are so many others - Just worth a look before you finally decide
Oh no I doubt I will get just one lol going to start with one but I will no doubt get many more a boa would be next on my list

I'm actually seriously considering getting into breeding in the long run but that will be some way off lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
snake newbie

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:33 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)