New Beardy keeper! - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 20-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Regular

Brilliant!!, thank you

And well thats now all changed again! I don't think he's too happy! i've just go in from work and he's got a jet black beard and is even black on his back.. so i don't think he likes me very much!

He's been "nipping" her on her head and beard/neck area

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-11-2012, 11:14 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienC View Post
Brilliant!!, thank you

And well thats now all changed again! I don't think he's too happy! i've just go in from work and he's got a jet black beard and is even black on his back.. so i don't think he likes me very much!

He's been "nipping" her on her head and beard/neck area

thanks
As said that's most definitely breeding behaviour. Either they will mate and you'll have more work and worries on your hands or the female will be against the idea and will be constantly stressed and they could end up fighting. So you'll possibly have eggs and a comstantly harassed and depleted female or worse. Really they need splitting up ASAP, may be best to give on up if you haven't the space to split as you're already considering.

Old 20-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Regular

I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place here!!

I don't want to give them up what so ever!! but of course I want what is best for them! And I'd also like to see if I could get a clutch of eggs from lilo and see what comes from that!

But after that i think i may split them?

Does anybody have any pictures as to what the eggs will look like etc?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-11-2012, 11:33 PM
5 Star Member

There are some photos in the breeding section.

If you are going to split them up do it before she has the eggs. If she's with the male when trying to lay she may get so stressed that she'll retain them, then there's the possibility of her becoming egg bound or scepticaemic.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 20-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Regular

Right! i fully understand! maybe it's time to swallow my pride!

Will there be people on here that would be willing to re-home him?? as I don't really want him moving again after me... he's been through enough! and I want to make sure he is really looked after!!
Old 20-11-2012, 11:37 PM
5 Star Member

Well it's up to you but personally I really wouldn't recommend breeding. If you haven't the space for a second viv to split them up then you definitely won't have space to house the babies, your talking 5 babies per 4x2x2 viv and easily 25 babies plus per clutch, maybe more. Of course you don't have to incubate all the eggs but your still talking at least one other viv. Your priority should really be on separating them before you even consider breeding, one thing at a time, don't attempt to run before you can walk and all that jazz! Keeping a pair together constantly in a situation like yours will not end well. Even experienced keepers can struggle when attempting to cohabit beardies. Some can work in the correct situation (female pairs) with the right setup but yours clearly aren't and keeping them like this will only end badly. Sorry to be blunt but its the honest most likely conclusion.
piebaldlover likes this.

Last edited by tomcannon; 20-11-2012 at 11:41 PM..
Old 20-11-2012, 11:39 PM
5 Star Member

Good to see you agree! Try putting up an advert in the classifies rehoming section, I'm sure you'll get some interest if people are near you, just be sure to check them out so you know he'll have a happy life. You've decided to keep the female then!?

Old 20-11-2012, 11:45 PM
5 Star Member

As Tom said, there's a rehoming section - put a small fee on as some people will just look for a freebie then sell on. Also checking their previous posts isn't such a bad idea, then you'll be able to differentiate between the people who care and know about the animals and one who kills everything within a year.

Cohabiting is a lot more difficult then people make out, it's not your fault that it didn't work

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 20-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Regular

Thanks for all your help guys! It means a lot! I think it's safe to say we've hopefully Saved one beardy possibly 2 from being badly hurt!

Yeah Tom, i've decided to keep Lilo she's nice and gentle! extremely tame! and perfect for me for the moment! where as Stitch is a bit angrier! and with me being a complete novice i don't have the skills required to train him to be the loving beardy he can be!

It sucks so bad! i don't want to split them what so ever!!
Old 21-11-2012, 12:05 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienC View Post
Thanks for all your help guys! It means a lot! I think it's safe to say we've hopefully Saved one beardy possibly 2 from being badly hurt!

Yeah Tom, i've decided to keep Lilo she's nice and gentle! extremely tame! and perfect for me for the moment! where as Stitch is a bit angrier! and with me being a complete novice i don't have the skills required to train him to be the loving beardy he can be!

It sucks so bad! i don't want to split them what so ever!!
I've been in the same situation although I kind of knew they'd need splitting when I rehomed them but you're right it isn't nice. If it makes you feel any better I don't regret it in the slightest as I look at my boy now and he seems so healthy and happy. I also happened to meet the women I rehomed the female to today (which was a surprise!), the beardy is doing great so that's nice to hear.

Tags
bearded