Help! new gecko owner really needs some advice... - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 22-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Postaholic Member
Reviews: 7
Send a message via MSN to Ophexis

Okay, the Exo is far too small for the leopard gecko I'm afraid. They want an absolute minimum of a 2ft x 1ft enclosure to maximise on floor space. They are not arboreal cretures so the height is not great for him. It'll be alright in the short term while you find something more suitable for him but he really needs something bigger Even turning the Exo on it's side would help a little if you haven't done so already
How are you measuring your temperatures, and where from? They are too cool. Bump the heat up to 90-92*F and it may encourage him to eat. Being too cool he probably cannot digest his food properly and could contribute to the weight loss.
If he's having problems with his eyes I would remove the sand substrate and keep the environment sterile - kitchen towel is great for this as it can be changed easily and kept clean.

Good on you for finding a vet - I hope you can make an appointment soon and get to the bottom of this

0.1.0 H. Caudicinctus - "Panya"
0.1.0 R. Auriculatus "Lotus"
1.1.0 F. Catus - "Dudley" and "Kitten"
1.1.0 C. lupus familiaris - "Jazzy" and "Gizmo"

Sleep well Toby, you will always be my special boy 15/08/2010, 5:15pm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Ultra Citizen

where abouts is the shop you mention?
i know we're not alowwed to name and shame, but just the general area, or pm me maybe.

did you ask why they only sold males?
how big was the viv that had the eight in?

if hes coming up for a shed than make sure his moist hide is moist(obviously lol)
if you havent got one, i suggest getting a small pot or tub, like a cricket tub, cut a hold in in and put some moss in it.

hopefully after he's shed, you may be able to have a better look at him,
and as describe if he's not eating/eaten mash up some crickets or mealworms and put some on his nose

good luck with the little fella

Daz
Old 22-11-2012, 02:02 PM
5 Star Member

That size tank isn't great but it will do for now. Personally, as he's ill i would change the substrate to kitchen roll, this will also help with the temperatures which are too low. Up the hot side to around 90-95f. You should really give him a moist hide, problem with his eyes could be shedding related, just use a cricket box with an entrance cut out filled with damp kitchen roll. Try to keep the area he's in quiet and disturb him as little as possible, think vets is the only option now

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-11-2012, 02:05 PM
5 Star Member

Ah I got beaten to it, Bloody iPod :/

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 22-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Egg

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.

My mistake, it's actually the 45x45x45 Exo Terra tank that I have. I did think at the time that the dimensions I originally gave sounded a bit small!

I have those digital thermometers, think they're from Exo Terra too, which measure both ends. I'll turn up the temperature on the heat pad to start with.

I'll sort out a moist hide too. I do have a home made one from an ice cream tub in my larger tank. I'll also sort out the substrate as advised.

I must be doing something right with other healthy gecko as he's been perfectly happy. He probably now appreciates the place to himself!

Last edited by bubbles1505; 22-11-2012 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: added more info

Tags
advice , leopard gecko , new owner