bearded dragon not eating - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 24-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Regular

thanks for the advice from you all i will try it all hopefully my next post will be more positive xxxxxxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to AuntyLizard Send a message via Skype™ to AuntyLizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgorst View Post
She really needs a better UVB, coil bulbs aren't suitable especially for beardies. 12% T5 tubes are the best option. What percentage does she have at the moment?

Without proper UVB she won't be able to synthesise D3, that means any calcium you give her will do nothing - this is the main cause of MBD, and can also cause loss of appetite. Her trying to get as close as she can to the UV bulb is a sign that she's not getting enough, in getting too close she can seriously damage her eyes. I can pretty much guarantee that when you change to T5's you will see a huge change in her.

You can also up your temperatures a few degrees.
I never used UV bulbs with my beardies, although I do use one with my tort.. I assume tubes are better because they go the length of the viv.. Also younger beardies need to get closer to their uv.. When I breed beardies mine would hang just over half way down the viv..

As she seems to spend a lot of time up by the uv bulb then I would expect that she is trying to utilise it as much as possible I would recommend trying a UV tube.

Liz
parents of kiki likes this.

It's good friends that walk beside you through the good times and carry you through the bad.
Old 24-11-2012, 02:22 PM
5 Star Member

Lighting Guide for all Reptiles from Arcadia < This is a really useful resource to help you figure out what you need, if you get confused PM Arcadiajohn on here, he's always helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunty_Lizard View Post
I never used UV bulbs with my beardies, although I do use one with my tort.. I assume tubes are better because they go the length of the viv.. Also younger beardies need to get closer to their uv.. When I breed beardies mine would hang just over half way down the viv..

As she seems to spend a lot of time up by the uv bulb then I would expect that she is trying to utilise it as much as possible I would recommend trying a UV tube.

Liz
I'm very surprised you say that, it's considered standard care for a beardy to have a high percentage UVB available during the day. Tubes are better because they emit far more UVB and yes, exposure is increased due to the size. T5's are extremely good, emit the most UVB over the longest period and don't emit dangerous UVC as far as I know (unlike any UVB bulbs/tubes from brands like exo terra etc). Hanging the UVB bulb halfway down the viv is considered bad too due to the eye damage and unnatural position (think it causes something like photo-kerato-conjuctivitis)

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/

Last edited by vgorst; 24-11-2012 at 02:28 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Regular

it is a reptiglo 10.0 uvb exo terra bulb that i have in there now
Old 24-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgorst View Post
Lighting Guide for all Reptiles from Arcadia < This is a really useful resource to help you figure out what you need, if you get confused PM Arcadiajohn on here, he's always helpful

I'm very surprised you say that, it's considered standard care for a beardy to have a high percentage UVB available during the day. Tubes are better because they emit far more UVB and yes, exposure is increased due to the size. T5's are extremely good, emit the most UVB over the longest period and don't emit dangerous UVC as far as I know (unlike any UVB bulbs/tubes from brands like exo terra etc). Hanging the UVB bulb halfway down the viv is considered bad too due to the eye damage and unnatural position (think it causes something like photo-kerato-conjuctivitis)
I meant UV Bulbs not uv tubes lol.. I always used tubes for my beardies babies or older ones.. Whoops I guess that did look like I said I didn't used uv at all.. I was trying to find a pic of how I used to set up my vivs for my babies/juvies.. But they are on the external hard drive and I can't get access to it at the moment.

Liz x

It's good friends that walk beside you through the good times and carry you through the bad.
Old 24-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Premier Member

Yeah your right they can get an eye condition but, younger beardies need to be closer to the uv.. I never had a problem with my babies and eye problems.

Liz

Old 24-11-2012, 02:39 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunty_Lizard View Post
I meant UV Bulbs not uv tubes lol.. I always used tubes for my beardies babies or older ones.. Whoops I guess that did look like I said I didn't used uv at all.. I was trying to find a pic of how I used to set up my vivs for my babies/juvies.. But they are on the external hard drive and I can't get access to it at the moment.

Liz x
Haha sorry, I must have mis-interpreted that! Tubes are definitely the way to go

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 24-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Regular

lol xxx so the bulb i have in is a reptiglo 10.0 uvb exo terra bulb that was in the viv when i bought it from the reptile shop barking mad pets barnes hill bham great bloke very helpful all his beardie set ups in the shop are the same
Old 24-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Regular

so now i,m confused you two lol xx
Old 24-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parents of kiki View Post
so now i,m confused you two lol xx
I have never used a uv bulb I always used tubes.. When baby beardies are younger they seem to need more uv to grow.. I always used to lower my tubes so they had what they needed as they grow then I would higher the uv bulb.. There is a lot of controversy as to if it is good for the beardies eyes but, I had never had a problem with the eyes as babies.. I did have a problem with one of mine as a adult but, it was thought to be nothing to do with the uv but, more an infection.

Just trying to get pic from my external hard drive to show you what I mean

Liz

Tags
young b drag not eating