At wits end! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 24-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Egg
Unhappy At wits end!

Hi everyone...nice to meet you (Cyber speaking off course)
I know this as been covered sooo many times but I really am at my wits end. I have a 7yr Corn Snake who as not eaten now for about 6 months. I have been to the Repvet who can find nothing wrong with him and there again this week. He was my sons and through bad sheds lost the tip of his tail maybe 3mm..vet said it looks fine. Then I sore mites on his mouse..treated him and his viv...sorted. His set up if good ufh mat in glass viv warm hide 30C controlled by therostat and digi thermometer, cool hide is 22C with humidity reading 40% to 50% (sometimes I use moss). He has two water containers, 1 larger for him to soak if required.Nothing as changed enviromentally etc...but he will not eat and as always been so constant. His skin feels quite scaley so I have been letting him soak, which he loves but then feels scaley agin a few days later..could this all be related? Sorry for being so long winded but just trying to paint the full picture...Any help so much appreciated thanks Mick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKRICK View Post
Hi everyone...nice to meet you (Cyber speaking off course)
I know this as been covered sooo many times but I really am at my wits end. I have a 7yr Corn Snake who as not eaten now for about 6 months. I have been to the Repvet who can find nothing wrong with him and there again this week. He was my sons and through bad sheds lost the tip of his tail maybe 3mm..vet said it looks fine. Then I sore mites on his mouse..treated him and his viv...sorted. His set up if good ufh mat in glass viv warm hide 30C controlled by therostat and digi thermometer, cool hide is 22C with humidity reading 40% to 50% (sometimes I use moss). He has two water containers, 1 larger for him to soak if required.Nothing as changed enviromentally etc...but he will not eat and as always been so constant. His skin feels quite scaley so I have been letting him soak, which he loves but then feels scaley agin a few days later..could this all be related? Sorry for being so long winded but just trying to paint the full picture...Any help so much appreciated thanks Mick
Hi mick welcome to the forum,

What methods have you tried up to now feeding wise. i.e. how have you offered it/how OFTEN have you offered it?
set up sounds fine with temps at hot end etc. does he have plenty of cover - plastic plants and things to climb on and explore? do you handle him a lot?

Artisan Reptiles - Facebook
-------------------------------------------
Lover & keeper of Boa Constrictor - Morphs/Commons/Dwarfs/BCI/BCC/BCA
plus
various Day, Satanic Leaftailed, Leachianus, other Gecko species
&
Western Hognose among other beautiful creatures!
Old 25-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Egg

Hi Artizan, thanks for the reply, i have tried braining, warming putting him in container just with mouse tried chicks. I try every third day but nothing!. He has plenty of shelter and still manages to poo now and again!. I have always handled him most days for 15 mins or so, he is so chilled out! He as plenty of cover also got me baffled! Thanks Mick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKRICK View Post
Hi Artizan, thanks for the reply, i have tried braining, warming putting him in container just with mouse tried chicks. I try every third day but nothing!. He has plenty of shelter and still manages to poo now and again!. I have always handled him most days for 15 mins or so, he is so chilled out! He as plenty of cover also got me baffled! Thanks Mick
Hi mick,

I think the problem here may be either that hes in breeding mode and is looking for a female so has gone off his food or that youre handling while this none eating problem is going on and that youre offereing food too often and its stressing him out.
If its the breeding thing then you will just have to keep trying to feed him - i would say every 2 weeks until his fast is over.
If its not the breeding thing then i would stop handling him at all, only go in to change his water and spot clean etc and dont offer food so often because when snakes are off their food and you keep shoving it under their nose every few days...this can stress them out - which will just make them not want to eat even more...and if youre handling an already stressed snake everyday on top of that then he will carry on refusing.
I would leave him be as said for say a week, offer food in 7 days by your preferred method or the way he liked before he stopped feeding 6 months ago. maybe dip the head of mouse in near boiling water for a few seconds before offering to excite his heat sensors....if he doesnt strike first time-leave in overnight and throw away in morning....try again in 7 days but not any sooner and feed him in his own viv....and dont handle for the week before.
Hopefully this will be enough to settle him and kickstart his eating again aslong as hes not in breeding mode.

Good luck and come back if this doesnt work

Artisan Reptiles - Facebook
-------------------------------------------
Lover & keeper of Boa Constrictor - Morphs/Commons/Dwarfs/BCI/BCC/BCA
plus
various Day, Satanic Leaftailed, Leachianus, other Gecko species
&
Western Hognose among other beautiful creatures!
Old 25-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Egg

Thanks Artisan, yeh i think i disturb him to often, they become like yr kids and i hate the thought of neglecting him haha, drives my mrs potty, thanks once again and have a good day Mick
Artisan likes this.

Tags
mature corn will not eat!