New to reptiles: questions. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 25-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Egg
Exclamation New to reptiles: questions.

Hello.

Yesterday, I just got a Anerythristic Type A Corn Snake, my first reptile. I have some questions about it.

1. How can I tell if it is a boy or a girl? I think it's a boy, but I'm not sure.

2. What watt lighting should I use? How long should I leave it on, and when should it be on?

3. My snake is digging up the bedding and hiding underneath it. Is this bad?

4. Should I feed it 1 mouse a week, or 1 rat per 2 weeks?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-11-2012, 01:30 AM
5 Star Member

You will need to have someone experienced in probing snakes to probe it to know the sex.

Lighting is not required for corn snakes but you can put a low watt energy saving bulb in for viewing purposes, you will need to guard this. Most people use led strips for this, no heat or breakage risks.

Heating on a thermostat is required, a heat mat will be fine for a corn.

Have you provide the snake with various hides? There are required but it will often create it's own.

How old is the snake?

Feeding young snakes once a week will suffice, on any prey. Once they start to reach adult size and age once every 2-3 weeks on a jumbo mouse will be fine.
scotty667 likes this.

National Reptile Awareness Day
Old 26-11-2012, 03:05 AM
Egg

The snake is around 1 1/2 years, about an inch thick at it's thickest part.

(American here, lol)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Posting Deity
Reviews: 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Athravan

Quote:
1. How can I tell if it is a boy or a girl? I think it's a boy, but I'm not sure.
You'll need to get someone experienced with snakes to either pop or probe it. Based on your second post saying it's a year and a half old, almost certainly going to need probing - most reptile shops will offer this service.

Quote:
2. What watt lighting should I use? How long should I leave it on, and when should it be on?
Depends on your other heating methods as well. If you are just using it for light, then a small energy saving bulb used during your regular daytime hours should be fine. The problem with bulbs is that the snake can climb on them and potentially could burn themselves, so a light guard is pretty important. The snake doesn't need any light though, so not having one is fine, as long as your temperature is gained through some other way.

Quote:
3. My snake is digging up the bedding and hiding underneath it. Is this bad?
Nope, that's perfectly normal. Make sure there are two hides in the enclosure as well, one on the hot side, one on the cold side. Some will use the hides, others like to burrow, it's a fairly normal behaviour.

Quote:
4. Should I feed it 1 mouse a week, or 1 rat per 2 weeks?
I'd stick to whatever the previous owner was feeding it... if the snake is still growing, one food item every 2 weeks sounds a little on the low side, for a growing corn snake I'd still use one appropriately sized food item every 7 days, going up to 10 days as the snake reaches maturity.
kitti likes this.

Quickest responses via telephone to 02920 190291 or Facebook Message

Old 26-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athravan View Post
I'd stick to whatever the previous owner was feeding it... if the snake is still growing, one food item every 2 weeks sounds a little on the low side, for a growing corn snake I'd still use one appropriately sized food item every 7 days, going up to 10 days as the snake reaches maturity.
Thanks, the last owner was giving 1 rat per 2 weeks, but I'll feed him mice.

Tags
corn snake help