Where have my babies gone :( - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 27-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Egg
Default Where have my babies gone :(

Hello everyone

Total noob here and looking for some help if you dont mind

We got 3 giant African snail babies off my cousin a few months ago and all was well and they were sliming around their tank and eating etc and we could see they were growing ... Its recently got cold and so thought it normal when didnt see them moving about so much ... Well today I clean the small tank out and pick them up and their shells are empty

What err where umm hello , where did they go ??? On cleaning the tank 2 earwigs were found amongst the soil , did they eat them ?

They were small , a little smaller than my little finger nail but I dont know what else could of happened to them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixidust View Post
Hello everyone

Total noob here and looking for some help if you dont mind

We got 3 giant African snail babies off my cousin a few months ago and all was well and they were sliming around their tank and eating etc and we could see they were growing ... Its recently got cold and so thought it normal when didnt see them moving about so much ... Well today I clean the small tank out and pick them up and their shells are empty

What err where umm hello , where did they go ??? On cleaning the tank 2 earwigs were found amongst the soil , did they eat them ?

They were small , a little smaller than my little finger nail but I dont know what else could of happened to them
I know nothing of snails but wow.....id be very interested to find out what happened in "the case of the vanishing snails"....i feel like im in an episode of murder she wrote!

Artisan Reptiles - Facebook
-------------------------------------------
Lover & keeper of Boa Constrictor - Morphs/Commons/Dwarfs/BCI/BCC/BCA
plus
various Day, Satanic Leaftailed, Leachianus, other Gecko species
&
Western Hognose among other beautiful creatures!
Old 27-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Super Regular

They got too cold and died...
1 M 1 F Boa Constrictor, 1 M 1 F Mexican Black KS - Coal+Raven,1 F Normal Corn Snake - Niagra,1 M Veiled Chameleon-Rango,1 F Red Footed Tortoise - Michelle<3, 1 Anery Corn Snake, 1 Red Silver Stripe Millipede,1 M Royal Python, 1 Sulcata Tortoise, 1 Soft Shelled turtle Also a few scorpions and various species and numbers of snails
Plus the Bf's including, Retics, Carpets, Burms, Blood Pyton, King Rat and frogs
R.I.P
Toby The Water Dragon. Without you none of the above would be here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Egg

If they had died wouldnt there be something left ? the shells are cleaned and empty .. they were fine and dandy last week , still eating just not so active which i put down to the chilly weather coming in

Im sad , me and my girls had one each and were looking forward to watching them grow into slimy beasts
Old 27-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 20

When it gets to cold they can go into hibernation and retreat into their shell. if they dont warm up again they can also die. Are the shells actually empty or have they just retreaded into the deap dark depths.

jay

Keeper of all things pygmy

Staffordshire Exotics Society
Last Sunday of the month
Come along if you are in the area
Next meetings 31st March and 28th April

Old 27-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Regular

That happened to my snails. The boiler went out in our house when I wasn't there....... and they never came back out of their shells.
Old 27-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Premier Citizen

Can't help but feel the earwigs may have finished them off. They probably went into hibernation due to low temperatures or lack of moisture, they do need to be kept quite damp. What were you using as substrate for them? Where did you get the substrate from?
G. Pulchripes , C. Cyaneopubescens, B. Vagans, B. Albopilosum, B. boehmei, L. parahybana, P. Lugardi, E. Pachypus, G. Rosea.
4 Achatina Fulica (Giant African Land Snails)

Border collie x, 2 Cats, 17 Goldfish.
Fed up with being called mate and he . I am a lady, so play nice
Old 01-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Hatchling

Like everyone else said they probably got too cold and possibly the earwigs finished them.. strange though. Did you ever find them?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Regular

I have gals but in the winter they bury themselves to hibernate check ur substrate an ul find them
Old 10-12-2012, 02:18 AM
Regular

I have GALS, and keep mine in a heated tank - sounds like the earwigs were doing some tidying up for you.

Many people don't bother with heat mats for snails, but I like to see them moving about - ok, the warmer they are the more they eat, but the more they eat the bigger and quicker they will grow.

Sorry to hear that yours have not made it, would seriously think about getting a heat mat should you think about getting some more, also the coco blocks are really good for keeping moisture in and easy to store
1.2.0 Corn snakes: Marmite, Bovrilina & Oxo
0.1.0 Hog Island Boa: Bisto, 0.0.1 Bosc monitor: Colman and 1.0.0 husband

Tags
snails