Corn Snake feeding advice - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 01-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouija View Post
I measured him yesterday and he is just over 14" long.

My Boyfriend & I are arguing about this - he thinks he is fine on Pinkies, I think he could do with a bigger mouse.
Try two pinkies, if he does them no problem too, start him on fuzzies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Super Regular

I would up his food if it was me, going by his size and age he can eat larger, there isn't too much difference in size to be honest to the next size up so wont be a huge jump for him.

Hope he knows ladies always have the last word :P
Old 01-12-2012, 05:53 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
I measured him yesterday and he is just over 14" long.

My Boyfriend & I are arguing about this - he thinks he is fine on Pinkies, I think he could do with a bigger mouse.
Looking at their girth is better for judging food size, they can easily manage something 1.5x as big as their widest point as a general guideline, although they can still do bigger than that! So I'm sure yours will be ready for fluffs at least, pinks sound too small
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Regular

In the end my Boyfriend rang up the Reptile shop & they told him not to move him up food sizes until he had finished the 3 pinkies that came with in the set up. He has two more to go then we will be going back to get more so we can ask them then if he should be on bigger mice.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
In the end my Boyfriend rang up the Reptile shop & they told him not to move him up food sizes until he had finished the 3 pinkies that came with in the set up. He has two more to go then we will be going back to get more so we can ask them then if he should be on bigger mice.
If he can manage 2/3 in one go, he can manage the next size up. Don't be scared to try bigger food, if it's too big they'll leave it. Snakes know if they can manage it or not
Old 04-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Super Citizen

Mine is 8 months and on medium mice takes then with no probs at all!id just up it to fluffs
Old 04-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Forum Citizen

no offence but why did you come on forum asking a question when you are just ignoring us. pet shops dont always no best... you are talking to people with snakes and in some cases kept snakes from young for years..

if you have such a great pet shop then follow thier instruction, but you could end up with a snake with stunted growth :/ or stuck on tiny mice for life.. best to get them on nice big mince so that they get plenty of goodness.

but its up to you.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Super Regular

The rule of thumb is always offer a food item a little bigger than the thickest part of the snakes body, regardless of what species you keep. A reputable pet store will always allow you to see the difference in mice sizes before you make your choice. Hope this helps
1.2.0 bearded dragons
1.0.0 yemen chameleon
if you shut up and listen you might learn something....providing i get it right, otherwise i'm just filling your head with crap [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/CENTER]
Old 04-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduff13 View Post
no offence but why did you come on forum asking a question when you are just ignoring us. pet shops dont always no best... you are talking to people with snakes and in some cases kept snakes from young for years..

if you have such a great pet shop then follow thier instruction, but you could end up with a snake with stunted growth :/ or stuck on tiny mice for life.. best to get them on nice big mince so that they get plenty of goodness.

but its up to you.
I'm not ignoring your''s or anyone's advice!!! Where did you get that from?!
Just because my boyfriend phoned the Reptile shop as well doesn't mean I'm not listening to what people say on here. That is a really dumb thing to say!

My Boyfriend is a worrier and I don't want him to keep phoning the shop over every little thing that's why I posted on here ...but he still phoned them anyway.

Last edited by Ouija; 04-12-2012 at 01:18 PM..
Old 04-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Regular

In any case he only has one pinkie left and we are going to get him more food this weekend. So we are going to get him the fluffs then & try him on them on his next fed. The reptile shop only said to let him finish the three in his starter kit before moving him up not to keep him on them forever.........