crixs dead - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 29-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Forum Citizen
Default crixs dead

Hi i am starting to have a problem with the brown crixs i have for my cresties.
I put some in the viv last night and they are dead this morning .They have hydro balls and veg in the cricket keeper which is kept in a warm dry place under the sink had no problems till now.
The only thing that is different is the temp and humidity in the viv last night saw it drop too 17c and 51% (outside hit -2c )thats with a small heat mat 8watt and a 15watt night glow and they were sprayed before i went too sleep. The cresties normal night temp has been around 19c>20c.
I am going too fit another small heat mat 8watt before tonight I have unless someone has any other advice, as need to get this right

I am in process of doing them and getting all the bits for a new viv so help on the cheap and easy for this viv and make sure i have the right stuff in the next one

Last edited by wezza309; 29-11-2012 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Forum Citizen

what species are the crickets, are the the old brown crickets or are they silents?

browns, the common house cricket, are a bit volitile when they have a change in temperature, i reconmend warming them up very slowly dont keep them cold.

if they are silents then im not sure because they are usually hardier

pluss find out how old they are? are they adults? or babys, how long have they been in the shop for.

what do you feed them etc.
Old 29-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Forum Citizen

i feed them veg with some repahy clacium plus sprinked on top and they are silent they are 5 days old my gf has a pet supply shop and they where fresh too her and had no complants the ones in the keeper are still ok
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Forum Citizen

oh they are standard in size
Old 29-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Forum Citizen

standard are about 4-5 weeks old, so they should be dying especially if fresh to her shop. i would suggest if the room they were kept in gets to -2 then you should find somewhere warmed to keep them, so they are not getting too cold,really anything under 16c can start to kill crickets, -2 is like putting them in a fridge,
think about what it feels like if you come in doors when its -2 outside then put your hands on a radiator, it hurts, so this same thing stresses the crickets and can cause them to die.

i also reconmend buying some bug grub or fish food or crush up some dog food in a coffee grinder

i work for a insect farm so i no quite abit about live food product, i probably work for you girlsfriends supplier
Old 29-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Forum Citizen

will do the food
i do have the repashy bug burgers but they never seem that interested seem to love veg but not tried dog food or fish food
as for the temp i ment out side it got too -2c by me for the 1st time in the house where they are i think it would be about 17c its only sice feb been into reps so not had cold weather yet
Old 29-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Forum Citizen

well i use fish food, koi food is good because its high in fat and protien, and i sprinkle it in my tubs along with a little bit of apple or some other fruit/ veg every couple of days but fish food most or every day. i have very few deaths and i actualy use alot of brown crickets too. maybe it was just a bad tub, it does happen, i have had crickets that die in the tub over night but then i have lost a tub down the back of a unit, found it a month later and some were still alive :O
Old 29-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Postaholic Member

i'm no good with crickets myself. They used to stay alive for me but the last 6 lots i bought didn't last long at all even though i've kept them the same way for a few years now so i gave up keeping them around 6 months ago and started breeding turkistan roaches which my crestie (and spiders) absolutely go nuts for. Easy as anything to breed and keep, don't die if temp changes, keep them warm and dry to breed, cool them down a bit when you don't want to be inundated with hatchlings, eat anything and don't die if you forget to give them water for a night or 2. i feed mine crushed dog/cat biscuits/mixed salad leaves/veg etc. The only thing is i put them in a tub for him to eat them in otherwise they run round too fast for him to catch. i got mine from ebay and have always got a steady supply of food

Artisan Reptiles - Facebook
-------------------------------------------
Lover & keeper of Boa Constrictor - Morphs/Commons/Dwarfs/BCI/BCC/BCA
plus
various Day, Satanic Leaftailed, Leachianus, other Gecko species
&
Western Hognose among other beautiful creatures!

Tags
dead crickets , temp dropping