Advice on when to change food sizes - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 30-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Egg
Default Advice on when to change food sizes

Hi guys new here so take it easy on me

I have a 4-5month old ball python female. It is my first snake and before I got her I did extensive research into how to care for her. Reading a lot of advice from here and in a few books. So I am new and still learning!

Now this is my issue. I have been feeding her every 4 days on rat pups. She has never refused to take the food (thankfully) so feeding has never been an issue. In truth she is a lovely snake. I have never seen any form of aggression at all and she is as friendly as friendly get's. Very active and sociable. Very curious about everything! Just perfect.

So I went into the pet shop to collect more food for her when I started talking to the assistant. I asked when I should start thinking about upping the food size. I explained the size and knew that it should roughly be the same width as her belly. His advice was to now go to rat fluffs.
He went off and came back with a pack of 10 rat fluffs. Now these are the first time I have seen them and on first look I thought they looked quite big. I asked was he sure and he said yes.

She had her first feed on the rat fluff yesterday and there were no issues. However have to be honest and say as she was swallowing it it looked as though she was stretched as far as she could go!

Today she came out of her hide and went for some water so I could monitor her and she looked like we probably do after our xmas lunch! Was very slow and jabba the hut esque! So is hard to tell if she is ok really. She wanted to come out so I took a picture quickly.

So really what I want to know is if I am doing the right thing as the jump in size seems quite a bit to me. I don't want to keep feeding her these fluffs if she is not supposed to be on them yet. I have included some photos so you can get a better idea for size but sorry for the quality in them my camera is not great!

Pre-eating fluff

After fluff

And this is the size jump of the food so you know what I mean

So any advice would be great, cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Egg

If you're comfortable with the fluff being the same width as her stomach then she will have no problems whatsoever.

If it is too large you'll know about it when you have a lovely smelling regurge to clean up. Nomnomnomnom!

I think another rule of thumb is feeding them 10% of their body weight in prey, so if you know her weight you can use that to decide what size prey to give.

0.1.0 Royal (Python regius) - Millie
Old 30-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Egg

Thanks for the advice

Should I move feeding from every 4 days to once a week now then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midion View Post
Thanks for the advice

Should I move feeding from every 4 days to once a week now then?
I would, then when she's bigger increase it to every 5 days then look at upping prey size again ect.

0.1.0 Royal (Python regius) - Millie
Old 30-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Super Citizen

if you are going to start feeding that size of prey item to such a small snake i would either go with a smaller prey item and still feed every 7 days if you are going to feed that size prey item i would go to at least 7 to 10 days
1.1.0 CB16 Kingpin/Butter woma royal python
1.2.0 CB14/CB13 Fire/Pastel/Normal royal python
0.1.0 CB13 Yellow Rat X
0.2.0 CB11 Whites tree frog / CB17 Pied Yemen's
2.0.0 CB11/CB16 Brazilian Black/Pube Hair
Old 30-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Egg

Hey thanks for the reply!

Not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying I should feed her a rat pup every 7 days or the fluff every 7 days?

What smaller prey are there? I would prefer to keep her on rats as have heard many stories about how difficult it is to switch them from mice to rats.

Thanks again.
Old 30-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Hey thanks for the reply!

Not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying I should feed her a rat pup every 7 days or the fluff every 7 days?

What smaller prey are there? I would prefer to keep her on rats as have heard many stories about how difficult it is to switch them from mice to rats.

Thanks again.
they are bigger than the ones with no fur on in your pic above some call em chubs or fluffs its like they have like mole skin on them you will find them in any rep shop or online rep food shop what i ment if your going to feed the larger prey item in your pic i would go for 7 to 10 days oh they are still rats
0.1.0 CB13 Yellow Rat X
Old 30-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Egg

Ah I see!

Is the bigger prey in my photo not a rat fluff then? I thought at the time when I was buying them that they looked too big to be fluffs as I sort of assumed that fluffs would be slightly bigger then the pups but with fur. So i'm wondering if the guy sold me the wrong ones?

Cheers again.
Old 30-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Ah I see!

Is the bigger prey in my photo not a rat fluff then? I thought at the time when I was buying them that they looked too big to be fluffs as I sort of assumed that fluffs would be slightly bigger then the pups but with fur. So i'm wondering if the guy sold me the wrong ones?

Cheers again.
the one in your pic looks like a weaner to me a fluff or chub is bigger then your little one in the pic but has a look of mole skin too it they can be quite big
0.1.0 CB13 Yellow Rat X

Tags
ball python , food size , snake