Which Chameleon? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Egg
Default Which Chameleon?

I am interested in adding to my reptile collection this Christmas by getting a chameleon. I love the way that these animals look, move and catch their prey and I have been looking to get one for sometime.
The problem is that I have no idea which species that I should start with. I have done loads of research on panther chameleons and veiled chameleons and I think I will be getting either one of those two.
However, there are lots of varying care sheets and opinions on both these chameleons and I am unsure as to which one would be more suited to me.
What I really need to know is
-Which one of the two usually has a better temperament?
-Which one is more expensive to maintain (in terms of feeding)?
-And, generally which one is easier to maintain (for a starter to chameleons).

Any help (from experience or just knowledge of the species) that you can give me would be brilliant and much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Premier Citizen

i have a female veiled chameleon they are fairly easy to keep

however if i had the choice i would of got a male as with females you have egg problems sometimes

as for handling mine hates being picked up but once out of viv she settles down

Old 06-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Super Regular

i have a large male yemen, he's great, will take food out of my hand, loves being misted, will drink from the mister directley as well if given the chance.
he's a grumpy sod though!! will come out but it has to be on his terms!!...i think this is a similar story with most yemens!....great pets,can be handled but would prefer not to be!
would recommend one of these definately!!
Ron Magpie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Ultra Citizen

To answer your 3 questions
- generally, panther are more friendly than veileds but often they have individual personalitys so no guarantees. Both should not be handled lots
- exactly the same cost to own in terms of food, supplements, set up ect. A breeder would sell A veiled baby for about £30 and a panther cost would as little as £60 )ur this would be from a bedroom breeder and which you would not know its true locale and not be as nice looking, if you want quality you would need to pay £100+
- very similar to look after, both pretty much as hardy as each other.....

BTW, also in south Wales, which part of south Wales you in?

Last edited by jojothefirst; 06-12-2012 at 12:16 PM..
Old 06-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Egg

Thanks everybody for the info, its very much appreciated and you've all helped me a lot

And, I live in Port Talbot
Old 06-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomwbk1997 View Post
Thanks everybody for the info, its very much appreciated and you've all helped me a lot

And, I live in Port Talbot
If you do decide to get a panther and a quality panther, the 2 best breeders on here are Muji and chameleoco. Muji (ChameleonWorldMuji) are in oxfordshire which is about 100 miles from me and is where I got my 2 panthers from, have a look at there websites.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Regular
Default Costs

Sorry to jump on the end of this tread but I'm looking at getting my first reptile and was looking at the Panther.
How much is a setup, what size is best and how much monthly do they costs to keep?

Also how and and where do you keep the live food as this is going to be an issue with the mrs
Old 07-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrena View Post
Sorry to jump on the end of this tread but I'm looking at getting my first reptile and was looking at the Panther.
How much is a setup, what size is best and how much monthly do they costs to keep?

Also how and and where do you keep the live food as this is going to be an issue with the mrs
might be best to start a new thread

i keep my livefood in plastic fish tanks from Wilkinsons cricket keepers are a waste of place

Old 07-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Egg

Yeah, I will have a look at those websites. Cheers!!

oh btw, another thing I forgot

How many crickets/locusts does a Veiled Chameleon eat daily?

Cheers again for the info
Old 09-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Egg

Just to let you guys know I've reserved a baby male veiled chameleon ready for christmas from my local reptile shop reggae reptiles (which i've bought all my animals from and they are fantastic!)

I thought that I'd start with a veiled and maybe get a panther in the future!

I'll put some pictures up on here of him when I get him, if i can work out how to....

Thanks for all you advice!

Cheers

Tom
Ron Magpie likes this.