HELP!! 2 yr old male and female beardie in 4ft viv. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 13-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Egg
Question HELP!! 2 yr old male and female beardie in 4ft viv.

Firstly let me say....this is an edit....we are now having a baby instead....male and female bit ambitious as first timers i think lol.....Hi there, we have just agreed to adopt a 2yr old male and female beardie. They are in a 4ft viv on a cabinet. Everything is there to keep them apparently.

They are for my son who is 10.....but i obviously need to know how to keep them too. We have bought a couple of books and read various websites/forums etc..... wow..loads of diff info!!

HELP! Whats right and whats wrong...can you help us with some general info, dos and dont?

Food recommendations, temps, etc?

Many thanks in anticipation.

ps....ive read various threads on here and lots of conflicting advice, so really not sure where to go with this

Last edited by Oatesthedestroyer; 13-12-2012 at 10:43 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Regular

Hey,

Bearded Dragon's are great! Enjoy!

There are a couple of good care sheets, that might be worth looking at.
It also may help if you to ask specific questions.
Or someone who knows more might be able to do a simple info bit as I am still learning and will probably miss stuff out.

The other point that may be mentioned is about housing beardie's together. Not always a popular choice.

Also
Oatesthedestroyer likes this.
Old 13-12-2012, 10:39 PM
5 Star Member

Eeek, there's a fair amount to get through! You're right there is so much conflicting advice (even people on here don't always agree with each other). There are some ok care sheets on here so take a look (in the lizard section on care sheets).

Housing - Really there should be one dragon to a 4x2ft viv. Housing a male and female together often ends in disaster (or at least expensive vet bills!). They will inevitably breed, this means unwanted clutches (there's far too many beardies around as it is); a very weak female after laying said clutches and having the male to fight off; possible egg-binding of the female; illness; possible dominance where one will get the best food, heating and hides etc (often results in injuries or a very 'depressed' dragon). I could go on, basically if you get them prepare to separate them! A spare setup never hurts.

Temperatures: Basking spot (directly under the lamp where the beardies bask) 105-115F. You're aiming for them to bask for 5-10 minutes at a time. Warm end (measured against the side wall of the hot end) around 90F and the cold end (measured against the side wall of the cool end) around 75F. Any heat sources should be connected to a thermostat, this will reduce fire risk, reduce overheating and save electricity. Temperatures should be measured by digital thermometers (analogue/dial ones are useless!). Contrary to popular belief, the cold end is as (if not more) important than the basking end - they need to be able to cool down and escape UVB exposure.

Try to provide 'layers' under the basking spot - this will allow them to choose the height and temperature at which they want to bask.

At night all heating can be turned off - they require a cool temperature at night to enable their bodies to relax and switch off. They can cope with cold temperatures easily.

UVB - high percentage (10-12%) UVB tube that's around 3/4 - 2/3 the length of the viv starting from the hot end. There's a great guide on this website > Lighting Guide for all Reptiles from Arcadia < Arcadia T5's with reflectors are the best around and last a year (unlike other brands that last 3-6 months tops).

Substrate - Up to you. Sand is fine as long as your husbandry is spot on (avoid calci-sand though). Others could be lino, tiles, slate, newspaper etc.

Diet - Gut loaded and dusted live food. Variety is key! Adults should still consume a fair amount of live food, but for veg have a look at this guide > Untitled Document < you want to choose high calcium, low oxalate foods mostly. But again variation is key.

Supplements - I recommend Repashy calcium + - there are plenty of threads regarding supplements so you can have a search around for that.

Decor - Provide bits of wood for them to climb on and hide under. If you choose to provide a water bowl keep it in the cool end (you want low humidity)

That's all I can think of at the moment but no doubt I've forgotten something! Hope it all makes sense

EDIT - Haha that was a bit of an essay ^ apologies
DamienC and Oatesthedestroyer like this.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Egg

Hi guys...thanks for that...I'll try to take it all in....we have had a rethink on the two dragons and are going for a baby for him instead. Think the idea of the two bigguns breeding is a bit daunting as newbies!! lol

Any advice re babies?
Old 13-12-2012, 10:43 PM
5 Star Member

Lots of food!!! They're walking bins.
Oatesthedestroyer likes this.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 13-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Egg

Anyone do good set ups to buy in the West Yorkshire/South Yorkshire area? Maybe Manc? x
Old 22-12-2012, 12:53 AM
Super Regular

u can get some really good set ups online, when I got mine last year it cost £250 and included everything I needed, u might as well just get a big viv and that will do him all his life, my beardie loves his viv, as it as 3 levels, which keeps him busy, but they are great pets, and love to be handled as long long as u Handle them when there baby's,.

any questions please feel free to ask
Old 22-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatesthedestroyer View Post
Anyone do good set ups to buy in the West Yorkshire/South Yorkshire area? Maybe Manc? x
South Yorkshire - I know blue lizard stock all the vivexotic sets in store if you need it now.

If you buy online you wont be getting a setup delivered until after the new year now.
Old 22-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Forum Citizen

Snakes n adders in Sheffield do some nice set ups and will give you all the advice and help you need if you're close by. HOME
They're just redoing their website so its a bit cluttered at the mo.

Blue lizard reptiles in dinnigton south yorkshire too. Blue Lizard Reptiles - Reptile Shop

Tags
bearded dragon , beardie , feeding , son