Baby beardie won't eat greens - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 14-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Super Regular
Default Baby beardie won't eat greens

Hi there,
my naughty baby beardie keeps ignoring his greens. He is 10 weeks old, I had him for about 2.5 weeks, never seen him eating his salad. I tried covering it in baby food and not giving him bugs until late afternoon.. It doesn't seem to work. He just sits there and waits. If I put him on top of the salad, he just walks over it.
Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-12-2012, 09:01 PM
No Life Member
Reviews: 30

Hi, as babies, they tend to eat more insects than vegetation, I wouldn't be too worried about it, your job is to gutload his live food items, to provide a veggy dish (even if you don't see him eating it) and he will decide the rest (he is the real expert) your job is simply to just provide, as he gets older he will probibly move onto eating more veggys and fruits, but for his age, it is fine for him to have more interest in insects as long as he is eating gutloaded and supplemented insects! I wouldn't worry.

Good luck.
Old 14-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Super Regular

Thanks for your reply!
His insects are well gutloaded, and he eats like a pig=) I give him a big variety of insects, as I also keep chameleons so I have quite a big selection.
Another question though, I can't find a clear answer to beardie's supplement schedule. For now it's the same with the chameleons - calcium every feed, D3 and Mutivit twice a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Super Regular

as stated above when they are young, there just interested in bugs, but adult beardeds will eat greens all day long, as soon as I put a dish of rocket in my beardies viv he laps it up
Old 15-12-2012, 12:01 AM
No Life Member
Reviews: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalincat View Post
Thanks for your reply!
His insects are well gutloaded, and he eats like a pig=) I give him a big variety of insects, as I also keep chameleons so I have quite a big selection.
Another question though, I can't find a clear answer to beardie's supplement schedule. For now it's the same with the chameleons - calcium every feed, D3 and Mutivit twice a month.
Unfortunately many keepers (including me) base their routines on guess work, there isn't much info out there and what is, is conflicting, It is definately needed in captivity, but I couldn't tell you in what quantity, personally I would hve no problem dusting every other day for a baby beardie.
Old 15-12-2012, 02:53 AM
Premier Member
Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalincat View Post
Thanks for your reply!
Firstly, I would suggest worrying a bit less. We've all done this. They will eat what they want. As youngsters, this will be mostly insects. It may change as they get older, but there's no guarantees.

What I would recommend, though, is that you make sure you give them plenty of calcium and vitamins. A good quality, high output UV light is really important for beardies, but so is dietary calcium and vitamin D3. Calcium on it's own is not taken up by the beardie - they need vitamin D3 as well. Dust food with a small amount of balanced supplement very regularly, especially when they are young and growing rapidly. I use nutrobal, others use different supplements, but most are designed to be used every day. You don't need much - it's better to supply it little and often.

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

“... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.”
Old 15-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Super Regular

thanks everyone!
I know they need d3 and multivit, I'm just sort of confused about how often. That's what I'm trying to find out.
I read loads of articles and a few books on beardies, but they tend to contradict each other on a matter of supplement. Some say 'Nutrobal 5 times a week, calcium 2', others - vice versa, others - calcium every feed, multivit once a week, d3 twice a month. One of the books said not to give d3 supplement at all o.O I am very confused!
So, as for now I keep him on the same schedule as my chameleons.
Old 15-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Regular

When my beardies were babies I never saw them eat greens, in fact to this day I don't think Ive ever seen Zeppo eating greens. I know he does as I've seen him with them stuck to his face and you can see where he's eaten from the dish, also when I took him to vet coz I was worried about it the vet says he must be eating them at some point as he's healthy. As others have said dust with D3 free calci dust every other day and something like reptobal every 5-6 days. My other beardy Brian wasn't so keen when he was younger, bugs all the way then, now he loves his greens so much I have to keep a strict eye on what he eats as he has a tendency to get fat. The best advice I can give you is ask questions on here. It doesn't matter how daft or irrelevant they may seem you will get answers from people who own and love their reptiles.
Old 15-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Ultra Citizen

i have a rescued beardie and he dosnt eat ANY greens at all for the last 2 years, just locusts and mealworms...

LOOKING FOR:
F 2010/11/12/13 or older pied female's PM ME
F 2010/11/12/13 (possibly 2012) Black pastel female's
Near to HEMEL HEMPSTEAD (SE)
Old 19-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Super Regular

Mine 2 never ate greens at first but I was not too worried as they were eating LOTS of livefood at the time.

What I did to try and encourage them for the future was to put mealworms etc on top of the greens and as they were lunging at the worms they were occasionally getting some greens and it finally got to the point where they were actually going for the greens as well, Hope that makes sense. Now at 5 or 6 months old they eat lots of greens as well as the live food.

Brian

Tags
bearded dragon salad