Baby beardie advice... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 16-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Egg
Default Baby beardie advice...

We are getting a baby beardie in a week so are busy setting up his viv.
We bought the viv second hand and its all had a good clean, we got the heat lamp and uv bulb in today, lino on the floor and shopping for thermometers tomorrow.
The viv came with this... Essex Reptile - Arcadia Dry Vivarium Controller , but I have since noticed that it says you cant have a water bowl in.
Are we going to need a new controller?

Thank you for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-12-2012, 12:00 AM
5 Star Member

I think you'll be just fine with a small water bowl however I've not used this product so couldn't be definitive. Arcadiajohn is your man, send a PM his way and he'll be more than happy to help I'm sure.
Peggy Sue likes this.

Old 17-12-2012, 12:03 AM
Egg

Thank you I am new to this (forum and reptiles) and I will look for who you mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Sue View Post
We are getting a baby beardie in a week so are busy setting up his viv.
We bought the viv second hand and its all had a good clean, we got the heat lamp and uv bulb in today, lino on the floor and shopping for thermometers tomorrow.
The viv came with this... Essex Reptile - Arcadia Dry Vivarium Controller , but I have since noticed that it says you cant have a water bowl in.
Are we going to need a new controller?

Thank you for any advice
Hi! Although it says 'dry controller' what it means is that its not designed for a viv which requires humidity or large areas of standing water. Your beardies viv shouldnt be humid and if you decide to put a water bowl in, it should be a small shallow bowl and be kept in the cool end to prevent humidity so it should be fine. A lot of people dont put water in the viv with the dragons so then they can keep humidity down (I dont have water in mine). This isnt to scare you because people do put water in, but, too much humidity can cause repetory infections.

A lot of beardies dont learn to drink from standing water anyway! They get all their moisture from greens and insects that they eat. Mine hasn't been in or near water in the liquid form for about 2 weeks and is absolutely fine! When I first got him, I was told the same as what I have just said to you so I opted against water in the viv. To be sure he was hydrated and for my own piece of mind, I used to give him some of the stalky (made up word) bits of the greens because that is the part where most of the moisture was... The outcome? Runny poo due to too much hydration!

Sorry for going off on one... The answer is you should be fine with that controller lol if you need any more advice on UV, lighting, heating etc.. Feel free to ask and someone will help you!
Peggy Sue likes this.
Old 17-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcannon View Post
I think you'll be just fine with a small water bowl however I've not used this product so couldn't be definitive. Arcadiajohn is your man, send a PM his way and he'll be more than happy to help I'm sure.

Should be fine that Tom the amount of extra humidity given off from a small water bowl is next to nothing.. What it means by standing water is a large area of water in the viv.
Peggy Sue likes this.
Old 17-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Egg

Thank you bluemoon.

I had read that baby beardies needed a small bowl of water as they dont tend to eat many greens while so young? (He will be 9-10 weeks)

We have been researching for months and I still feel daunted by owning a reptile!

His breeder is really helpful thankfully, I will get on to him to see how he keeps his babies.
Old 17-12-2012, 12:23 AM
5 Star Member

I agree with blue it'll be fine, I just like to err on the side of caution so to speak so try not to give out info on products I'm not familiar with and I have only ever used the ultra seal ones.

While we are on the subject of water bowls (thank you blue!), I too don't use one. The only reason though is he never ever used it when it was provided, he never drinks when in the bath or when it is dripped on his nose, he just doesn't see it as a drink so I opted to take it out. Personally I'd recommend you start with one, if its used its handy to ensure that he's well hydrated, he will choose to use it if he needs to, if not you can take it out. As said most of their fluid comes from food so if he eats well all should be fine. Mine has suffered in the past from very minor dehydration but a quick bath usually sorts that and he is now beginning to eat his veg occasionally and that seems to be doing the trick. Anyway, as said, start with one and monitor and assess, quite a lot of this game is trial and error and observation work as each BD and situation is different.

Last edited by tomcannon; 17-12-2012 at 12:27 AM..
Old 17-12-2012, 12:23 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Sue View Post
Thank you bluemoon.

I had read that baby beardies needed a small bowl of water as they dont tend to eat many greens while so young? (He will be 9-10 weeks)

We have been researching for months and I still feel daunted by owning a reptile!

His breeder is really helpful thankfully, I will get on to him to see how he keeps his babies.
I know exactly what you mean lol there is so much conflicting info out there its hard to know whats right! As a general rule, baby beardies dont eat much veg, some dont eat any.. If this is the case, I'd spray him once or twice a day outside the viv (to prevent too much humidity inside it) his scales are arranged to direct morning due or mist, towards his mouth. All beardies are different in their behaviour and everyone has their own way of doing things. If you want to put water in the viv, do it.. I'm just letting you know its not a necessity

Last edited by bluemoon1502; 17-12-2012 at 12:31 AM..
Old 17-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Premier Member

hi,

i have answered this by PM but will recap so everybody knows.

the controller in the link is a IP64 water resistant controller and is more than safe to be used around water dishes and light misting.

for high humididty enclosures and those with rain systems and or pools of perm water then the law is now that an IP67 or waterproof fitting is used.

for most elcosures that still use T8s the IP64 is fine.

ALL Arcadia Reptile T5 systems and fittings come as standard as IP67!

I must however point out that second hand lamps MUST be viewed as ineffective unless you have access to a good set of meters to be sure of its output, especially with young animals. My advice is that "Whatever is invested into the body and bones of a young animal will be paid back wither positivly or negativly in the adult animal".

good luck

john.

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com