baby corn wont eat - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 19-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Forum Citizen
Default baby corn wont eat

okay so ive had my male baby carolina corn snake for 4 weeks now, he is 3 and a half month old, he started off in the small tub i bought him in, he was due a feed that night and he ate a fuzzy after i left him alone for half hour, then i moved him into a viv exotic viv later that week, he did not eat that weekend but then i got the temps sorted and he ate 2 weeks after his first feed, he then shed his skin last sat night and i fed him sunday but he did not eat it even over night, i tried him again yesterday over night and still nothing, he ate the fuzzies fine the 2 times he did eat, but i am wondering wether to go down to pinkies and see if that would help? any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via MSN to lukendaniel

i would stick with the size your feeding if he is taking them ok. but i would sugest just for feeding put him in a live food tub with the food over night in the viv till he gets a little bit bigger, just so it means he deffo finds the food and see how that goes

luke www.lndexotics.co.uk

01623 431939
We have moved!!!!!!
Daniel or luke [email protected]
Old 19-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezzabear View Post
okay so ive had my male baby carolina corn snake for 4 weeks now, he is 3 and a half month old, he started off in the small tub i bought him in, he was due a feed that night and he ate a fuzzy after i left him alone for half hour, then i moved him into a viv exotic viv later that week, he did not eat that weekend but then i got the temps sorted and he ate 2 weeks after his first feed, he then shed his skin last sat night and i fed him sunday but he did not eat it even over night, i tried him again yesterday over night and still nothing, he ate the fuzzies fine the 2 times he did eat, but i am wondering wether to go down to pinkies and see if that would help? any suggestions?
Where did you get it from
And just leave the snake in a small tub with the fuzzie over night see if its gone by morning it takes a good few months before snakes begin getting bad without being fed
  • 1.0.0 normal Burmese python
  • 0.1.0 Pastel kubsch boa
  • 0.1.0 Normal boa
  • 0.0.1 normal corn snake
  • 1.0.0 green iguana
  • 0.1.0 red iguana
  • 1.0.0 Hermann tortoise
  • 1.2.9 leopard geckos hypo,super hypo,blizzard,talbino,normal
  • 1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
  • 0.0.1 amel corn snake
  • 0.0.1 Berber skink
  • 0.0.1 desert iguans
  • 1.0.0 rottweiler (odin)
  • 2.0.0 rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-12-2012, 01:58 AM
5 Star Member

I wouldn't worry about just yet. Leave him for for 5 days and try again.

Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."

Before buying a royal python containing the spider gene, give this short video a watch. It may well change your mind http://youtu.be/JfTbiZ_dzVM
Old 22-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Regular

i was worried about my garter not feeding and he's not eaten for about 6 weeks now but still seems fine. My neighbours 16 yr old corns sometimes go 6 months between feeds without issue
Old 22-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Forum Citizen

thanks for that guys, ive mesured up and realised his prey was wee bit big for him and have gone and got some fluffs, gonna feed him in a mo and he is thawing as i type, how should i feed him? i used to put them on the aspen bedding but i know i shouldent incase he swallows some just did it twice so he could eat without being disturbed, now i should do it proper, any suggestion? on what works best for you guys?
Old 22-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to Ryanb0401

If he likes to eat in his Viv, you could always dry the mouse off with a towel (I bought a fresh towel along with my little guy, disinfected it properly and such) or, if you still don't feel comfortable feeding him in his viv, invest in a shallow dish you can put the mice on, and tongs to wiggle it around a bit.

Don't worry too much about the bedding, though, unless you're feeding wet mice. Snakes are wild animals, if they were harmed every time they ingested something they shouldn't have they wouldn't be around anymore. They eat mice covered in dirt and other nasty stuff in the wild, right?

Old 23-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Forum Citizen

good point man, same reason i have my corn in a classed 'oversize' viv, its full of hides and deco yet he still insists on chilling out on top of the plants and eaither side watching me , but to the point, he did no eat again last night, shows no intrest what so ever he even squirms away from it until i sling it in the hide he chooses, but still lays with it like its his teddy bear :/ last time he fed it took 3 days for the lump to disappear for handling, maybe he is just not hungry?
Old 23-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to Ryanb0401

Stop trying. Give him a week without food, and no attempts to give him it.
Snakes are opportunistic hunters, generally - good eaters will strike and eat even if they're not hungry, since they don't know how long it will be until they can eat again. Leaving him can possibly teach him to eat when it's presented, as he'll learn just that. If he doesn't eat, he goes hungry.

Tags
corn snake , feeding problems