stressed beardie - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 20-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Hatchling
Default stressed beardie

Hi, my baby bearded dragon is stressed out, I got him sunday as my xmas present, i had his tank all set up and ready. I have a 5 ft at front 4ft at back vivarium, he eats and everything :however after he doesnt bask he goes under the heat for like a minute and then back on his piece of wood, im not sure why but when he sits there he stresses out or if i go down stairs and back up to my room he sits away from the. Repti glo light, i think this is what is stressing him out as he goes know where near his basking lamp. I plan on getting another tomorrow as it flickers at the ends and iv read bad things abput exo terra products. When i prdered his things i got a phone call telling me the one i wanted orginally was put of stock and they said they were sending me a better one. I read guides on getting all the stuff 10.0 bulb etc. However last night when i was pn my laptop he was like puffing his beard out and looking more alert for a few seconds like he was going to be sick, and he did it a few mins ago now. So really what i was wanting to know is whats a good bulb, and would he not bask because of the tube causing him troubles. He looks a little more round so it seemed to me he wasnt digesting his food because of not basking i have been giving him calcium (4times) and like a multi vitamin once (dusted on cricket) his bask spot is 38' and 33 hot end and about 27 ish cold end. Right now hes basking and gaping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-12-2012, 09:14 PM
5 Star Member

Hi there,

Firstly, the best UVB light to go for is the Arcadia T5's, you'll need a 10-12% and it should be 2/3-3/4 the length of the viv. If you need more advice have a look at the Arcadia website > Lighting Guide : Arcadia Reptile < or PM Arcadiajohn on here.

The reason he might be freaking out at the UVB (especially if it is flickering) is that reptiles can see UVB - it flicking on and off, to them, could seem like a strobe light (I'm not a reptile but this is what I imagine it would be like ). Exo terra UVBs aren't that great so you're best changing it as soon as you can.

What are you taking the temperature measurements with? And do you have a thermostat on the bulb?

I think you should give him a little more time to settle in. 4-5 days isn't very long and he'll still be settling in, this will no doubt effect basking. It is a totally new environment for him and having a big beast (i.e. you) walking around and going near him is no doubt going to scare him. If it's particularly bad as you walk past him then perhaps a towel over the viv could help him feel more secure for the time being. Puffing out is very normal for young dragons that are stressed or threatened and trying to make themselves seem bigger.

Those basking temps might need to be upped, however if he's currently not basking much I would leave them be.

On a side note remember to try to feed them a variety of foods - this will make for a healthier, more active beardy in the long run

Have to say it's nice to see someone that's obviously done their research and got their setup sorted out

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 20-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Hatchling

I have a thermostat on the heat lamp, just off set from the basking area (as it would need to be stretched), i have that set to 34 (so it should be hot enough under his basking area) i placed a termoter under his basking spot to get temps, its an analouge one so it might not be accurate but you can feel the heat around the tank, during the day (1000-1500) iv been letting him settle in i go down stairs, he doesnt seem scared of me mpre just of his tank opening and closing when i put food in etc. The tube ising flickering on and off just like, ugh, not sure how to describe it like dimmer flick at the ends.

Sorry if there are mistakes typing from my phone as my internet ran out so using 3G.

Also hes pooping once a day and hes on vinyl tiles as i didnt want him getting bunged witb otherstuff, however when i was putting calcium on his food and a little fell to his viv floor he was licking it up, i assumed it was fine as long as it wasnt sand, (which its not its calcium dust)

Thanks for your reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-12-2012, 09:51 PM
5 Star Member

When you get the new UVB I would suggest getting at least one (preferably 2 or 3 for your own convenience) digital thermometers - analogues are useless (don't know why they're still sold), they can be out by over 10C so don't trust them. Unfortunately you can't even rely on the thermostat to measure the right temperatures - they're pretty inaccurate too so should be used along with a digital thermometer. Also remember that temperatures can be affected by the size of the viv, environment around it, material it's made out of, ventilation etc.

Your beardy might not be basking for long if the temperatures are very hot (that's where the digital thermometers come in). I would get the thermometers and then check your temperatures again, you may be surprised. Although a heat source is very important to reptiles, they do also need a cool end (which will be compromised if the hot end is too hot). Without a correct thermogradient they can become dangerously dehydrated very quickly and cannot control their metabolism, so it's worth checking (and double, triple and quadruple ).

Are you feeding him any veg at the moment? If you are you can sprinkle the calci-dust on to this and in the bowl also - reptiles are good at self-supplementing on calcium and knowing how much is enough.

Well done for getting the thermostat (not everyone does) and sounds like you've got substrate and supplements all sorted just need to have a look at the temperatures and UVB I think

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 20-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Hatchling

I'll see if i can pick up some tomorrow, if not, i will sfter xmas as i should have some money left, after the bulb
Old 20-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Hatchling

For got to mention have been feeding him veg, hes only ate a little of it, but im not surprised if he is stressed, iv been sprnkling dust on that
Old 20-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Super Citizen

Were did you get a 5 foot by 4 foot viv from lol thats massive
  • 1.0.0 normal Burmese python
  • 0.1.0 Pastel kubsch boa
  • 0.1.0 Normal boa
  • 0.0.1 normal corn snake
  • 1.0.0 green iguana
  • 0.1.0 red iguana
  • 1.0.0 Hermann tortoise
  • 1.2.9 leopard geckos hypo,super hypo,blizzard,talbino,normal
  • 1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
  • 0.0.1 amel corn snake
  • 0.0.1 Berber skink
  • 0.0.1 desert iguans
  • 1.0.0 rottweiler (odin)
  • 2.0.0 rats
Old 20-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyzer View Post
Were did you get a 5 foot by 4 foot viv from lol thats massive
Aha, it used to fit inside a bay window from the person i bought it off i meant like its 5ft at the front (facing me) and 4ft at the back length wise, sorry for the confusion
Old 20-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooster View Post
Aha, it used to fit inside a bay window from the person i bought it off i meant like its 5ft at the front (facing me) and 4ft at the back length wise, sorry for the confusion
Ahh got you know might be the size of the viv is too big for a baby my one started of in a 5 foot viv which it is still in and has always been fine just gott him 2 girlfriends lol never know it might be size not sure but i would try changing the uvb bulb first
  • 1.0.0 normal Burmese python
  • 0.1.0 Pastel kubsch boa
  • 0.1.0 Normal boa
  • 0.0.1 normal corn snake
  • 1.0.0 green iguana
  • 0.1.0 red iguana
  • 1.0.0 Hermann tortoise
  • 1.2.9 leopard geckos hypo,super hypo,blizzard,talbino,normal
  • 1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
  • 0.0.1 amel corn snake
  • 0.0.1 Berber skink
  • 0.0.1 desert iguans