stressed beardie - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 20-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Hatchling
Default stressed beardie

Hi, my baby bearded dragon is stressed out, I got him sunday as my xmas present, i had his tank all set up and ready. I have a 5 ft at front 4ft at back vivarium, he eats and everything :however after he doesnt bask he goes under the heat for like a minute and then back on his piece of wood, im not sure why but when he sits there he stresses out or if i go down stairs and back up to my room he sits away from the. Repti glo light, i think this is what is stressing him out as he goes know where near his basking lamp. I plan on getting another tomorrow as it flickers at the ends and iv read bad things abput exo terra products. When i prdered his things i got a phone call telling me the one i wanted orginally was put of stock and they said they were sending me a better one. I read guides on getting all the stuff 10.0 bulb etc. However last night when i was pn my laptop he was like puffing his beard out and looking more alert for a few seconds like he was going to be sick, and he did it a few mins ago now. So really what i was wanting to know is whats a good bulb, and would he not bask because of the tube causing him troubles. He looks a little more round so it seemed to me he wasnt digesting his food because of not basking i have been giving him calcium (4times) and like a multi vitamin once (dusted on cricket) his bask spot is 38' and 33 hot end and about 27 ish cold end. Right now hes basking and gaping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Egg

you've got the temperatures at the right settings so that's no problem, and my beardie doesn't always sit under the basking lamp, he goes and sits at the other side of the viv, it's just they might want to cool off for a bit. I think that he is puffing his beard out just to try and scare you away, like you said you got him for Christmas so he will not be familiar with you, just make sure he sees you daily and eventually he will start to become more tamed. Hope this helped!
Old 28-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooster View Post
Hi, my baby bearded dragon is stressed out, I got him sunday as my xmas present, i had his tank all set up and ready. I have a 5 ft at front 4ft at back vivarium, he eats and everything :however after he doesnt bask he goes under the heat for like a minute and then back on his piece of wood, im not sure why but when he sits there he stresses out or if i go down stairs and back up to my room he sits away from the. Repti glo light, i think this is what is stressing him out as he goes know where near his basking lamp. I plan on getting another tomorrow as it flickers at the ends and iv read bad things abput exo terra products. When i prdered his things i got a phone call telling me the one i wanted orginally was put of stock and they said they were sending me a better one. I read guides on getting all the stuff 10.0 bulb etc. However last night when i was pn my laptop he was like puffing his beard out and looking more alert for a few seconds like he was going to be sick, and he did it a few mins ago now. So really what i was wanting to know is whats a good bulb, and would he not bask because of the tube causing him troubles. He looks a little more round so it seemed to me he wasnt digesting his food because of not basking i have been giving him calcium (4times) and like a multi vitamin once (dusted on cricket) his bask spot is 38' and 33 hot end and about 27 ish cold end. Right now hes basking and gaping

Whats the distance between the highest point of the basking spot and the bulb? Also how close can he get to the UV tube and do you have a reflector on it? He should only be basking for about 5-10 mins at a time and then moving about the viv to regulate his temps.. If thats what he's doing then theres no problem there. It usually takes reps a few weeks to settle in so go in daily to spot clean and feed etc but apart from that give him space. Dont try and handle him for a week or so, that way he can settle in properly before being subjec to any more stress.
Advertisement

Old 28-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Regular
Send a message via Skype™ to Dubia82

Yeah... just make sure you keep the temps right and provide him what he needs. He'll probably settle in soon - probably just asserting himself in his new home.

Unless he looks ill I wouldn't worry just yet. If he's basking, gaping and able to move around without trouble, he 's probably fine. If you're worried about his food mot being digested then wait a couple more days or so and see how he acts and if he has a poo. If no poo and you're still worried then give him a shallow, luke-warm bath and maybe even give his tummy a gentle massage.

He's probably perfectly fine though. Most beardies take a week or so to start settling in to their new homes and males especially will be asserting dominance to anything that moves (hence the beard puffing out).
Old 28-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubia82 View Post
Yeah... just make sure you keep the temps right and provide him what he needs. He'll probably settle in soon - probably just asserting himself in his new home.

Unless he looks ill I wouldn't worry just yet. If he's basking, gaping and able to move around without trouble, he 's probably fine. If you're worried about his food mot being digested then wait a couple more days or so and see how he acts and if he has a poo. If no poo and you're still worried then give him a shallow, luke-warm bath and maybe even give his tummy a gentle massage.

He's probably perfectly fine though. Most beardies take a week or so to start settling in to their new homes and males especially will be asserting dominance to anything that moves (hence the beard puffing out).

Dont massage his tummy! If he has swallowed anything he shouldnt of with a shapish edge (by accident) then massaging is tummy my cause it to pucture his insides.. The risk of doing this massively outweighs the benefit, elsecially for a newbie. Apart from that, its good advice Best just to go in his viv once or twice a day but give him a wide berth. Let him get used to you
Old 29-12-2012, 01:02 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooster View Post
As said it is mostly likely a settling in issues and again don't massage his belly, blue is spot on here. A basking spot of 38c is however usually a little low. How old is your BD, it is recommend a basking temp between 105f-115f however this does depend on each BD. you mentioned your viv is 5ft at the front by 4ft at the back, any chance of a pic to get a better idea of the dimensions your mean or just a better description. What uv tube do you have (length) and where is it placed?

Old 29-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Super Regular

Could be puffing himself up getting ready to shed too

Tags
baby , basking , bearded dragon , tube