What next? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 23-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Forum Citizen
Post What next?

My little cousin was wondering since he has had a leopard gecko for around a year and a musk turtle for around 2 years, what he should get next...

I wasnt too sure, he looks after his animals very well so thats not a problem, he ideally wants to be able to hold them but he doesnt mind if not and finally the price does not matter for the animal or tank and can be amphibian or reptile

Thanks alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmexyHerps View Post
My little cousin was wondering since he has had a leopard gecko for around a year and a musk turtle for around 2 years, what he should get next...

I wasnt too sure, he looks after his animals very well so thats not a problem, he ideally wants to be able to hold them but he doesnt mind if not and finally the price does not matter for the animal or tank and can be amphibian or reptile

Thanks alot
Go for a snake!

I recommend a corn, good feeders and easy to handle. Tough snakes too and not too skitty once they get past their hatchling state!

Other options would be a royal, milk or king. IMO, I'd go for the corn as it is a first snake.

Best regards, Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

Andy
SmexyHerps likes this.
Old 23-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Forum Citizen
Smile

Thanks alot

He likes the look of pueblan milk's because i own a couple at the moment and he likes the color variations and temperaments
Merry Christmas and Happy new year to you too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Super Regular
Send a message via Skype™ to Perrin93

Quote:

Thanks alot
My first snake was a Royal, i was a bit too scared to get a corn because i thought i'd lose it so i went for something a bit more heavy bodied, they're lovely snakes, easy to care for and after keeping them for almost a year now i haven't ever been bitten or even seen one in a bad mood :P

They have pretty basic needs, either a heat mat or ceramic bulb for heat, a few hides a water dish and that's it really, oh and some sort of bedding.

I'd say they're a good starter snake, but i only have royals so i wouldn't know about any other snake
Old 23-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Thanks alot

He likes the look of pueblan milk's because i own a couple at the moment and he likes the color variations and temperaments
Merry Christmas and Happy new year to you too
Milks were the first snakes I kept and also the first I bred. Fantastic animals, on par with corns but a little more pricey. Don't have any at the moment, but definitely thinking about getting a new breeding pair in the future!
Old 23-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Forum Citizen
Smile

I was going to breed my pueblan milk snakes as i brought them as a male and female but ended up two females
He was looking at ball/royal pythons but he wasnt sure about whether they need UVB and what watt and neither was I
He also thourght about corn snakes but then he wanted to be (quoted) "Indie" so decided against it

Thanks for the replies...
Keep them coming haha
Old 23-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
I was going to breed my pueblan milk snakes as i brought them as a male and female but ended up two females
He was looking at ball/royal pythons but he wasnt sure about whether they need UVB and what watt and neither was I
He also thourght about corn snakes but then he wanted to be (quoted) "Indie" so decided against it

Thanks for the replies...
Keep them coming haha
Ball Pythons are cool too, only have a male at the moment, not planning to breed any time soon.

You don't need UVB for a royal let alone any snake!

Are you sure he doesn't mean a ceramic bulb?

People debate the whole heat mat vs bulb thing all the time. My male is on a heat mat and does fine. But it can be dangerous when they get to a heavy size, once they are coming near adulthood do what I'm gonna do and switch to a bulb. He is a baby CB12 whom is active so it isn't an issue at present...

My general rule with snakes is if they readily eat and are happy to breed in their enclosure, then they are more than comfortable with the conditions...

Last edited by snakesandscales; 23-12-2012 at 09:31 PM..
Old 23-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Forum Citizen
So if he were to get a Ball Python then it could be a heat mat (already got one) with just a normal lamp or bulb, or does it need something to bask under?

Thanks again
Old 23-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
So if he were to get a Ball Python then it could be a heat mat (already got one) with just a normal lamp or bulb, or does it need something to bask under?

Thanks again
No, its a heat bulb.

If you click on the link in my sig and go to the care sheets I have a ball python one, go to the bit on heating, you'll need a thermostat if your considering heatmats!
Old 23-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Forum Citizen
Smile

Haha I feel like such an idiot for not knowing this Better to know so I can tell him so he doesnt follow my idiocy

Thanks alot haha
Merry christmas =]

Tags
advice & help , ampbibians , next pet , reptile & exotics