Have I Got All The Correct Equipment Listed? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 25-12-2012, 12:56 AM
Super Regular
Talking Have I Got All The Correct Equipment Listed?

I'm getting a rankin dragon which will be living in a L: 29" by W: 22"/23" by H: 19.5" My first question however, is provided enough wood to bask and to further increase space to roam in the tank, is it possible to have two rankin dragons in this tank?

Anywho, to my original question. I have managed to gather the following bits of equipment, any more bits and bobs you can think of and perhaps ways to reduce the amount of wires there are (are there such things as combos in this hobby? Im a more experience fish keeper )

2x Digital Thermometers
1x UVB 10.0 Bulb
1x Ceramic Heat Bulb 150watt
1x Ceramic Heat Bulb Holder/Clamp
1x Light Thermostat
1x Water Bowl
1x Bowl for calcium powder
Wood Decoration (planning to spend atleast £40)
Rock/Slate
Plants
Repti-Carpet (will possible convert to tiles, or perhaps slate flooring when they're bigger.)
Disinfectant spray + wipes
Crickets, locusts, all those foods.
Cricket Keeper
Cricket Dust

Anything else?

All this has came up to £250 already... But I doubt if I spent wisely it wouldn't reach this. I admittedly did add a few pounds here and there for caution.

Also, what do I do about heat at night times? Obviously the lights go off... But what happens then? Can the heat bulb stay on? The reason I ask is for people have mentioned heat mats.. but from the research I've done this can cause burning.

Also, I've only had a breif look at costs for live food from 888reptiles. Could you suggest any others? Perhaps personal experiences? I like in the UK, and don't actually plan to have the project built until the new year.

For those who must know, it is a custom-made vivarium. There is a cupboard at bottom, followed by a 222 litre aqaurium, then my beautiful vivarium. Will be quite a sight

Let me tell you I am prepared to spend that bit more if it means I save in the future, save on wires, looks more neat and professional etc. Right now I'm trying to understand how I will install the lamp. Do you guys add a metal protector of some sort? It will be on the roof of the aquarium, out of view from the viewer. However it'd be nice to have a large piece of wood going close to it or the UVB bulb.

Suggestions on set-up appreciated! As you can tell, this is my first time, so trying to understand everything

Oh and lastly, one thing you decipher for me is what a light controller is? I have read somewhere it is merely just the two end caps of the UVB for it to be fitted, others it is the power supply. Will such be supplied when I buy a bulb?

Thanks for any help you can provide! And nice forum I like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Super Regular
Exclamation

I'd like to know if a 29" by 23" by 19.5" vivarium is big enough for two female rankin dragons.
Old 26-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Premier Citizen

came across this site for you, it seems to be a good read as its for rankins only

it says 24 inch long for one 36 inch for two

Rankins Dragon .co.uk - Housing

the stat needs to be a dimming stat

kricket keepers are useless buy a small fish tank or a rub with high sides and put some holes in the lid

you will also need Nutrobal use this twice a week and pure calcium five times a week
also i would buy a infra red temp gun you can pick one up on e bay quite cheep

Old 26-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Premier Member

Hi,

I will be honest and tell you that a 10% T8 will never recreate wild exposure in a viv of that height.

It is vital that reptiles are able to self regulate in an enclosure between a wild type uvindex, heat and light, then into cool and shade.

I explain this in much more detail in the lighting guide section of Arcadia Reptile : Arcadia Products Plc

But if you want an easy to use plug and go system that is very affordable and has the electronics, reflector and the correct lamp included then a 24w slimline T5 fitting will be fine for a viv this long.

You will however need to increase the viv size as they grow!

I'm happy to help further if required

John

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 26-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn View Post
Hi,

I will be honest and tell you that a 10% T8 will never recreate wild exposure in a viv of that height.

It is vital that reptiles are able to self regulate in an enclosure between a wild type uvindex, heat and light, then into cool and shade.

I explain this in much more detail in the lighting guide section of Arcadia Reptile : Arcadia Products Plc

But if you want an easy to use plug and go system that is very affordable and has the electronics, reflector and the correct lamp included then a 24w slimline T5 fitting will be fine for a viv this long.

You will however need to increase the viv size as they grow!

I'm happy to help further if required

John
Well this has blew everything out of the water. According to the rankin dragon website, a flourescent light tube 10% UVB bulb will be sufficient? In fact, this is all they suggest. Along with a ceramic heat lamp on a pulse thermostat. This set-up has proven to be within my budget range, as I am making a stand for a aquarium and vivarium, I've got to buy two sets of equipment. And so money is limited, however equipment will not be scrimped on.
Old 26-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by awh View Post
came across this site for you, it seems to be a good read as its for rankins only

it says 24 inch long for one 36 inch for two

Rankins Dragon .co.uk - Housing

the stat needs to be a dimming stat

kricket keepers are useless buy a small fish tank or a rub with high sides and put some holes in the lid

you will also need Nutrobal use this twice a week and pure calcium five times a week
also i would buy a infra red temp gun you can pick one up on e bay quite cheep
I've read the website many many times long before, and have also noted down the size requirements. However, I figured if I provided plenty (loads) of leaves, rocks trees etc. For them to climb this would increase space for them to be apart.

I've also liked the idea of a gun, but thought that two digital thermometers would do ok. However depending on my budget range, ill probably have one digital thermometer on the cold side with the thermostat on the basking side.

I have also done my research on the calcium. And will be providing a bowl of calcium powder for them to lap up when they feel like, alongside water bowl and a food bowl for worms.

Due to limited space I'm afraid another fish tank won't be an option. The main reason for the cricket feeders was the ideal black tubes. The vivarium will be in my room and so cannot stand escapees. I believe I do have a smaller 1 gallon plastic fish tank? Can they climb these? Saying that, they are pretty low down and so they quite easily jump out. Suggestions?
Old 26-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D34DLY View Post
I've read the website many many times long before, and have also noted down the size requirements. However, I figured if I provided plenty (loads) of leaves, rocks trees etc. For them to climb this would increase space for them to be apart.

I've also liked the idea of a gun, but thought that two digital thermometers would do ok. However depending on my budget range, ill probably have one digital thermometer on the cold side with the thermostat on the basking side.

I have also done my research on the calcium. And will be providing a bowl of calcium powder for them to lap up when they feel like, alongside water bowl and a food bowl for worms.

Due to limited space I'm afraid another fish tank won't be an option. The main reason for the cricket feeders was the ideal black tubes. The vivarium will be in my room and so cannot stand escapees. I believe I do have a smaller 1 gallon plastic fish tank? Can they climb these? Saying that, they are pretty low down and so they quite easily jump out. Suggestions?
Nutrobal is offered as it helps the lizards absorb the calcium. In theory UV light helps them abosrb it, but it's better to also offer the Nutrobal so you know 100% they are utilising the calcium. Especially as your UV may be too low for them to get the full benefit. Arcadia John is very knowledgable in the area of UV and in my humble opinion should be listened to over any internet 'care guide'
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Old 26-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D34DLY View Post
Well this has blew everything out of the water. According to the rankin dragon website, a flourescent light tube 10% UVB bulb will be sufficient? In fact, this is all they suggest. Along with a ceramic heat lamp on a pulse thermostat. .

Looking at the site, the copyright is 2010, so it's possible it's not been updated for a while. John will be the best person to confirm it, but i'm pretty sure the T5 range haven't been out that long and maybe not even the 12.0 T8. It was probably correct when they did the care sheet, but just hasn't been updated.
Old 26-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Ultra Citizen

Be very careful if you get 2 Rankins dragons, in theory they will live together in harmony, in theory , my 2 lived together for 4 weeks after I got them as babies, then Jorgie started to outgrow Jazz and the bullying started, the aggression, even non physical, and so long story short I had to get a second set up for Jazz and they are now still separate 1 year on (& prob always will be)

So if you do get 2, keep in mind you may need a second set up rapidly.....the best laid plans etc etc
Old 26-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Super Regular
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherjhenshaw View Post
Be very careful if you get 2 Rankins dragons, in theory they will live together in harmony, in theory , my 2 lived together for 4 weeks after I got them as babies, then Jorgie started to outgrow Jazz and the bullying started, the aggression, even non physical, and so long story short I had to get a second set up for Jazz and they are now still separate 1 year on (& prob always will be)

So if you do get 2, keep in mind you may need a second set up rapidly.....the best laid plans etc etc
To be honest I knew this but forgot to consider it. Are there alternatives other than rankin dragons? I'm looking for something which can be handled weekly. What do you guys know about earless dragons? Can they be kept in groups? They do seem ever so small and sweet.

Tags
diy , equipment and supplies , price estimate , setup equipment