advice needed for bearded dragon - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 28-12-2012, 12:39 AM
Egg
Default advice needed for bearded dragon

Hi we brought our son a bearded dragon for xmas which is 8 weeks old off a breader with the viv and set up but we having abit of trouble with the heat light the viv has a heat lit in and a uv ray light in and the breader told us at night to turn them both off, is this true ??? But we also were told not to let the temp go above 29 degrees and if it went up to high to turn the lights off so in the day we have to keep turning the heat light off as its getting to hot we went the pet shop and the nice lady sold us a basking light instead as they are not as hot which is working abit but we still need to keep turning if off esp if we have our heating on as well we are abit worried he might die if the heat isnt on and my son is very worried can anyone give me any advice please thanku.x

Last edited by supermum17; 28-12-2012 at 12:46 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-12-2012, 12:45 AM
5 Star Member

Hi,

At night you can turn all heating and lights off. These are desert reptiles so cope with very low temperatures; for beardies the cooling at night is actually quite important. It lets the beardies body rest properly.

The problem with your heating is that you don't have a thermostat - thermostats control the temperature by dimming or turning the heat source on and off (so you don't have to!). It's quite an essential piece of kit, especially if people aren't going to be around to turn lights off. With a basking bulb you should look at getting a dimming thermostat) have a look at Surrey Pet Supplies or Swell Reptiles - they are often the cheapest places.

What temperature are you turning the light off? And what thermometers do you use?

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 28-12-2012, 01:01 AM
Egg

Hi all we have is a digital temperture which the breeder has placed on the outside at the cool end and hes told us not to let it go above 29 degress which we dont we are just abit worried as we dont want him to fry and my son loves him but today we have notiched hes not been himself and hasnt eaten much is that normal as the breeder said they have days like this but my son who is 11 is realy worried about him are we doing sommet wrong or is there sommet we can do any help is grateful thanks alot for getting back to me as so many people tell u different storys we dont know whats right or wrong. x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-12-2012, 02:00 AM
5 Star Member

Ok, does this thermometer have probes? What I would consider doing is to remove it (if you're able to) from the side and place it on the inside of the vivarium, under the bulb where the beardy basks. This will help you find out the basking temperature. From there, if your tank is of a good size, the thermogradient should follow. Obviously do this later as your lights will probably all be off by now. You want the basking temperature to be 105-115F depending on what your dragon prefers.

If you're able, describe the rest of the setup (or pictures). Things such as UVB lights (brand, age, percentage), size of tank, usual diet and supplements are important to mention. The breeder sounds like they have unorthodox husbandry, which won't be helping your beardy. Also the lady at the pet shop should really have recommended a thermostat.

The problem could potentially be husbandry related, difficult to say though. I would recommend getting the dimming thermostat and another digital thermometer (preferably with probes) to begin with. This will stabilise the temperatures in the tank automatically so that he doesn't overheat or get too cool. Overheating is really quite dangerous for any reptile so you want to get that heating sorted pronto

I understand that there's so much conflicting advice and information around, so can't blame you for getting confused!

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 28-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Egg

Hi yes our thermometer has probes on it we are abit concern as u said it should be quite high in temp but since the lady in the shop gave us a basking bilb his temperuture hasnt gone over 26.5 degrees thats prob why hes not himself but the light the breeder had in was just a spotlight bulb in and thats why we had to change it as it was getting way to hot and we had to keep turning it off every hour or so and that what a 40 watt so she gave us a basking light at 35 watt but now it seems its not hot enough. Do we need to get a higher basking watt then or leave it till we have moved the thermo to inside the cage to see how it goes any advice helps as we desperate thanku very much.
Old 28-12-2012, 12:07 PM
5 Star Member

As Vgorst said you NEED a thermostat in order to maintain temps, you can't keep turning your lights on/of manually. So you need to but a dimming thermostat and some more digital thermometers, set it up so to create the required thermogradient. Take a look here on how to setup a thermostat and also on what your temps should be and where you should be reading them. I hate to break it to your but you have done it the wrong way around, you are supposed to research and then purchase, not purchase then research so best get researching, read as much as you can, at least you've come here, this is a great place to start.

Old 28-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Egg

Hi thanku for your reply and i know where you are coming from but we did reasearch before we brought as what we thought was a good breader told us everything we needed to know and we thought that with him being a breader he was telling us the right information if i wasnt concerned i wouldnt have gone the reptile shop and asked for information. Yes i prob dont know everything i need to know but thats why im asking as responabable person i thought i would ask for advice as we have gone off what the breader told us and if u have off a breader u would expect it to be right. But thanku for your advice and i will take a look on yr site thanku.
Old 28-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to bigsky

unfortunately there are alot of unscrupulous "breeders" about who will fob people of with any old information to make a sale, and beardies are massivley over bred but any old tom ,dick or harry because they are so easy to breed. As the guys above have said get yourself a good stat and you'll be sorted .
Old 29-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Super Regular

Would be useful to know what size viv you have and what type of UV lighting you have.

as previously pointed out it is essential to use a thermostat to regulate your temps and maintain a gradiant in the viv so the beardie can regulate himself.

i'm sure it'll all work out in the end - they do make great (and fascinating) pets!

Tags
bearded dragon