Need Advice on Bearded Dragons? :) - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 28-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Egg
Thumbs up Need Advice on Bearded Dragons? :)

Hey there, if you need any advice on bearded dragons for all you newbies out there Then don't hesitate to ask!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardManLiam View Post
Hey there, if you need any advice on bearded dragons for all you newbies out there Then don't hesitate to ask!

I'm sure that people who are after advice ask anyway and thats the reason they come on here....

Last edited by bluemoon1502; 28-12-2012 at 04:51 PM..
Old 28-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Forum Citizen

I'm mostly a snake keeper and never had any lizards but I have read a lot of caresheets and seen a lot of videos about care and setups but didn't find enough information about the feeding of adult bearded dragons and their shed.
  1. How can you tell when a bearded dragon is in shed mode? Do their eyes turn cloudy blue like snakes?
  2. How often do you need to feed them? Everyday?
  3. what ratio should I use for for an adult beardie? 80% veggie and 20% protein?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Egg

1. When a beardie is in shed mode, you will clearly be able to see as they skin will become dry and you will see bits of dead skin lying around the vivarium. As for there eyes, i haven't ever noticed it in any of my own.

2. When feeding a Beardie they should be given a fresh bowl of salad, AT LEAST every 2 days, even better if you can do it everyday this means the salad will be fresh and better for the beardies health. And insects should be given daily, (if you're using locusts for example, put 1,2 or 3 in depending on the size of the locusts AND your beardie) preferably in the morning.

3. The salad should always be more important, it has more nutrition than the insects, but if you are feeding the insects salad, then your beardie will be getting the salad through eating the insects. But yeah, always prioritize the salad. So probably a 70% veggie and 30% insects (protein)
Also you will need to use the calcium substrate (which is a powder) on the beardies salad, to help maintain a healthy calcium supply for him/her. And as you know there always needs to be a bowl of fresh water for the beardie to enjoy.

Hope this helped!
Old 29-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
1. When a beardie is in shed mode, you will clearly be able to see as they skin will become dry and you will see bits of dead skin lying around the vivarium. As for there eyes, i haven't ever noticed it in any of my own.

2. When feeding a Beardie they should be given a fresh bowl of salad, AT LEAST every 2 days, even better if you can do it everyday this means the salad will be fresh and better for the beardies health. And insects should be given daily, (if you're using locusts for example, put 1,2 or 3 in depending on the size of the locusts AND your beardie) preferably in the morning.

3. The salad should always be more important, it has more nutrition than the insects, but if you are feeding the insects salad, then your beardie will be getting the salad through eating the insects. But yeah, always prioritize the salad. So probably a 70% veggie and 30% insects (protein)
Also you will need to use the calcium substrate (which is a powder) on the beardies salad, to help maintain a healthy calcium supply for him/her. And as you know there always needs to be a bowl of fresh water for the beardie to enjoy.

Hope this helped!

Why offer to give advice if you give poor advice? Between 1 and 3 hoppers a day? Fresh salad every 2 days!? What salad do you feed ur beardie?? And you don't 'need' fresh water, mine has never had water in with him and most beardie owners will tell you that their dragon never use the weather dish! I think maybe if you put a description of ur set up including diet then someone will be able help you out
Old 29-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrite View Post
I'm mostly a snake keeper and never had any lizards but I have read a lot of caresheets and seen a lot of videos about care and setups but didn't find enough information about the feeding of adult bearded dragons and their shed.
  1. How can you tell when a bearded dragon is in shed mode? Do their eyes turn cloudy blue like snakes?
  2. How often do you need to feed them? Everyday?
  3. what ratio should I use for for an adult beardie? 80% veggie and 20% protein?

More protein than veg maybe 70-30 or 60-40 there is no set %age although as they get older they will eat more veggies than they did when they were young.. In the wild they eat insects and veggies when the insects arnt about regardless of what age they are. Apparently there was pm's done on several wc beardies and it turns out that regardless of age, the diet is more around 80/20 live food, in captivity we try and encourage more veggies but yeh... More than 3 hoppers a day. A lot more! Also fresh veg daily-spring greens, turnip tops, butternut squash.. Occasionally kale, grapes, berries.. Never salad tho especially not iceberg lettuce!
Old 29-12-2012, 03:37 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:

Hope this helped!
I would definitely prioritise live food over veggies. If you look at the beardies anatomy, although they are technically omnivores, they are better adapted to digest animal matter than plant matter. They eat plant matter in the wild when insects are in short supply.

I would only consider feeding a primarily veg diet if I had an overweight beardy, or possibly one with renal/liver problems. Despite what everyone says, all animals still need a certain amount of fat (that you won't get from veggies) and protein to maintain the body.

I would still provide small amounts of veg for during the day for them to graze on but would focus on feeding a varied diet of bugs, whatever the age.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 29-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon1502 View Post
More protein than veg maybe 70-30 or 60-40 there is no set %age although as they get older they will eat more veggies than they did when they were young.. In the wild they eat insects and veggies when the insects arnt about regardless of what age they are. Apparently there was pm's done on several wc beardies and it turns out that regardless of age, the diet is more around 80/20 live food, in captivity we try and encourage more veggies but yeh... More than 3 hoppers a day. A lot more! Also fresh veg daily-spring greens, turnip tops, butternut squash.. Occasionally kale, grapes, berries.. Never salad tho especially not iceberg lettuce!
Thanks for clearing that up I am kind of torn right now with either getting a bearded dragon or an Uromastyx. I prefer veggie eaters than insect eaters, I can't exactly breed any hoppers or any kind of worm as I live with my sister and she will really freak out and that idea that I'd have to go out everyday to buy insects is really not appealing to me

Tags
bearded dragon , newbie advice