Feeding Leopard geckos? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 28-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Hatchling
Default Feeding Leopard geckos?

Hey there i recently bought some baby leopard geckos last saturday, i'm not sure if there eating there mealworms. how often shall i change the mealworms in my reptiles bowl?
do i need to leave them until they are all eaten?

Thanks
Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Forum Citizen

Hi,

Im going to be getting some leopard geckos next week, my dad has a couple of them and how he feeds them is he feeds them both crickets and mealworms.

When they were babies he alternated the type of food each day, for example he fed them crickets one day, mealworms the next day, and I believe he fed them as much as they would eat within a certain time limit, like 5 minutes or something like that.
When they got to adults he fed them the same way, alternate food but every 2 days so one day crickets/locusts then 2 days later mealworms.
When they were adults he occassionally gave them a pinkie mouse as a treat.

I am planning on following his feeding technique, he brought them 14 years ago and they are still here.

Hope this helps

Kerrie
Old 28-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilekeeper1992 View Post
Hi,

Im going to be getting some leopard geckos next week, my dad has a couple of them and how he feeds them is he feeds them both crickets and mealworms.

When they were babies he alternated the type of food each day, for example he fed them crickets one day, mealworms the next day, and I believe he fed them as much as they would eat within a certain time limit, like 5 minutes or something like that.
When they got to adults he fed them the same way, alternate food but every 2 days so one day crickets/locusts then 2 days later mealworms.
When they were adults he occassionally gave them a pinkie mouse as a treat.

I am planning on following his feeding technique, he brought them 14 years ago and they are still here.

Hope this helps

Kerrie
Thanks i do intent to give them a varied diet, i was just confused as the meal worms in my leopards bowl have been there since i bought them, there still alive and have been dusted with calcium, i'm just not sure if i should wait until they have been eaten or change them and give my reptiles fresh ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Forum Citizen

I believe you change them every day.

Obviously when my dad fed them he fed them as much as they would eat, so there was never any extra food left in the tank. So long as you dont leave crickets in the tank with the geckos because apparently they like to nibble on the gecko if left in with them.

I would just take them out leave them a day or 2 and then try and feed them and like I will be doing feed them as much as they will eat in 5 minutes.
Old 28-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Hatchling

i have three leos i leave mealies in for a day dusted with vit and calc change everyday but there is no need to throw them away if they are un eaten simply re-gutload them hope this helps ( i also feed waxworms,crickets,locust,calciworms etc to add variation)
their main staple is crickets and mealworms
40 Gallon Dirt Planted Tank
1 Female Homosapien
Old 28-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma Herp View Post
i have three leos i leave mealies in for a day dusted with vit and calc change everyday but there is no need to throw them away if they are un eaten simply re-gutload them hope this helps ( i also feed waxworms,crickets,locust,calciworms etc to add variation)
their main staple is crickets and mealworms
Ok thanks for that, i have two whats the best way to feed them crickets shall i take them out there viv and feed them individually?
Old 28-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Hatchling

depends on the gecs really mine are all good feeders so i feed them together in the viv id try that first and watch good luck
40 Gallon Dirt Planted Tank
1 Female Homosapien

Tags
gecko , leopard , snake