Chameleon - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 29-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Egg
Default Chameleon

Hi again! I know that chameleons are great to harmonize physically with us, although, I know as well that they are very fragille what it concerns with stress and stuff. I want to know what is the best way to start a relation with him, if it is too early (I have him since three weeks more or less), If I should just pick him with my hands and let him be there... I really dont know...

I really appreciate your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to x_Living_Dead_Girl_x

My chameleon is a grumpy bugger but I've managed to get him more used to me by feeding him from a box I've put the crickets/calciworms in, so I'd advise you start doing that a couple of times a week and maybe put your hand in the viv slowly so he gets used to your presence in his home. I've also read that it's best to wear bright clothing when you interact with them as it puts them more at ease, though I'm not sure how true that is lol.
Check out chameleon forums for more detailed advice

Old 31-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Premier Citizen

mine is also a grumpy little madam she hisses and threatens to bite as i go to handle her however once out of her viv she is an angel and sometimes takes a strop when trying to put her back

i would sugest let her get use to you invading its space then just picking it up and hopeing it goes ok some wont tolerate being handled my mates chameleon hates it

Old 31-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Hatchling

Hi I am going to be getting a chameleon within the next couple of months and wanted some general advice if possible , when handling / attempting to handle are they likely to bite ? I've owned a pair of beardies previously and they were great to handle as we handled them from very small , also I have read somewhere that if buying a juvenile then you should 1st house in a smaller viv then get a larger viv when they increase in size ? Just wondering what people's views are .

Thanks in advance

Mark
Old 01-01-2013, 05:59 AM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to x_Living_Dead_Girl_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chambo82 View Post
Hi I am going to be getting a chameleon within the next couple of months and wanted some general advice if possible , when handling / attempting to handle are they likely to bite ? I've owned a pair of beardies previously and they were great to handle as we handled them from very small , also I have read somewhere that if buying a juvenile then you should 1st house in a smaller viv then get a larger viv when they increase in size ? Just wondering what people's views are .

Thanks in advance

Mark
I'd advise you to do as much research as possible before getting one, check out the caresheets on here and on the chameleon forums. They are more of a look but don't touch type of pet as they get stressed easily and a lot of them don't want to be touched, so yes they sometimes will bite or look like they are going to. Screen cages are the best option for housing as they need a lot of ventilation.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Hatchling

Ok that's great thanks for that , can't decide if I want to get baby or whether to re home 1
Old 01-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Premier Citizen

Haha sounds like you lot have chams from hell. I have had one in the past that would bite if i went to pick up, but some chams are like this. I have three chams atm and luckily i got them all young and used my taming technique and now they all run onto my hand when i show it to them in the viv. But this handling technique doesnt work for all chams as every cham is different from another no matter what species it is!
Helena Almeida likes this.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Hatchling

What is your taming technique ?
Old 09-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Egg

so, what is the most secure way to start handling him, without stress them out, and to make them confortable and secure being with us?

Tags
chameleon