Corn snake advice - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 29-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Hatchling
Red face Corn snake advice

Hi I need some advice my baby corn is really aggressive is there any way to try calm it down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelchance View Post
Hi I need some advice my baby corn is really aggressive is there any way to try calm it down?
Its not aggression, its fear. Its still not learned that you are not a predator so the more you handle him the easier he will become. Be sensible with handling sessions, not too much time at once and not too many times a day otherwise it can cause him stress which will do nothing to calm him.

I know the above sounds contradictory but as you get to know him you will know when he's had enough time out.
Old 29-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Hatchling

How long would you suggest for handling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Gold Star Member

15-20 minutes at a time maybe a few times a day. Not while he's just eaten or in blue ready to shed though.
Old 30-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Ultra Citizen

How long have you had the snake? My first corn was aggressive at first, but after she had settled down in her new home she was better. Took about two weeks of just leaving her to it, opening the viv now and then to change water and feed etc, give her a little stroke. I just wore gloves to handle her initially, but I found them to be clumsy and you can't actually feel the snake.
Old 30-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Your little corn is not aggressive, he/she is more afraid of you and has not yet come to realise that you are not a threat to it and will not eat it so he/she is defending itself which is only a natural response.

My advise to you is keep the handling session to 5 or 10 minutes at a time and do not handle after a feed or when you see your snake going into blue - coming up to shed, also I suggest keeping a cotton handky or a clean sock underneath your clothing for a few days and then putting it under your snakes warm hide, this will help your baby snake to recognise your scent as a none threatening scent and will help to calm him down, this worked with both my corn and MBK when I got them, mine were not aggressive but very flighty and wanted away from me as quick as possible and this really helped.
Old 30-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Hatchling

He dosnt use his hide ....prefers under the aspen on the cold side .....would it be better to put a sock under there ? And how long should it be from a feed to poop?
Old 30-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Hatchling

And iv had him from the 27th of dec
Old 30-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Premier Citizen

Not used to his new home yet either - maybe just leave him be for a few days (if you can bear to I never can) then short handling sessions at first.
Old 30-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
He dosnt use his hide ....prefers under the aspen on the cold side .....would it be better to put a sock under there ? And how long should it be from a feed to poop?
Quote:
And iv had him from the 27th of dec
Well since you've only had him a few days you realy need to leave him for a least a week, he needs to settle into his new home - new sights, sounds, smells etc etc.

I would leave him for a week before offering him his first feed, also poop may be hard to spot in the aspen with him being only young, with mine I kept her on kitchen roll and not aspen and there's no real set time when they poop after a feed, snakes are quite good at holding their poo in so I wouldn't be too worried. I would just pop the sock in there on top of the aspen, he'll see it when he's out exploring and he'll be out more once the coast is clear, when your not there lol.