Taken on a Leopard Gecko. Need some more opinions from experts x - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 31-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Egg
Default Taken on a Leopard Gecko. Need some more opinions from experts x

Hello,

So I have given a home to a Leopard Gecko that was brought into the vet practice I work at. She had lost her tail, was not eating, and had a cut on her head, but she is now doing really well!!

However I am finding it really hard to do right by her as everyone seems to have a different opinion. A few people suggested this site so, here I am

Anyways, do I really need a UVA/UVB light? Some say yes, some say no.

Also even tho I have a reptile heat mat, the temp in the tank never goes above about 24 degrees C. Some people suggest it needs to be higher in the day time. What do you say? and also, how can I achieve this? My heat mat is already pretty big, a bigger one would not provide enough non heated space for her i don't think

Also, how often do I feed her? She is only little, and so I am feeding her every other day. Usually a few meal worms and some crickets, wax worms in the odd occasion. I have tried to fill her bowl with worms so she can accesss food in her own time, but she does not seem to be able to tell they are there

Thanks in advance.

Emily x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-12-2012, 12:19 AM
5 Star Member

Sounds like she was in a sorry state

UVB - well people debate about that. It's not essential, they can survive purely on a dietary supplement of D3. However, UVB definitely has its benefits. If you're able to provide her with one then I would, it could well help with her recovery.

Heat mats should get a lot hotter than that. Is it an old heat mat, is it attached to a thermostat, what thermometers are you using and what kind of tank is she in? (Lots of questions I know but there's logic behind it all, I promise ). During the day she should have a hot end of around 88-95F, this can be carried on 24/7 if you don't wish to drop her heat at night. Don't increase the size of the heat mat, it doesn't increase the temperature they give off - keep the size to around 1/2 - 1/3 the floor space of the tank.

If she's little it could be worth feeding her every day (but that's your call, depends on how easily stressed she is and you don't want to stuff her silly!). Keep with the variety (try and add in some locusts, silk worms, calci worms and cockroaches if she'll have them) and remember to dust and gut load them appropriately. Many geckos don't go for the bowls, you can try adding food to make the worms wriggle more but that doesn't always work. You could try dropping them outside the hide she's in, often that catches their attention; tong feed or let them loose around the tank at night and remove during the day (if you do that leave a bit of veg so they don't nibble her).

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 31-12-2012, 12:41 AM
Egg

D3...thats different to calcium right? I am currently dusting the with calcium only.

It is an old heat mat yes! I am a bit short of cash, and my friends leant me alot of thier old stuff for now. I thought about going out n buyin a new heatmat, but then I was like "What if I do that and it makes no difference?". I have a thermostat attached, it is a habistat one. Thats all I know as another hand me down. Vivarium is roughly 35 x 15 ins. Another friend of mine suggested a heat bulb too.

I will keep the variety going don't worry, not cockroaches tho. OMG major cockroach phobia! Soooo scared of them! lol! but the other stuff. I am gut laoding them too

Another thing. Her moss box atm! It's really big, n has a hole in the top to climb into. I have had her at home for about 2 weeks and have no seen her even try and use it. I reckon it might be a big big and cumbersome for her to get into. My friend gave me a thing today for her to hide in. It's like a plant pot, but half of one. I thought mebbe I could put the moss under here instead. Would this be worth trying? I realise It woudl dry out quicker n I would have to spray it more often to keep it moist. But what do you think of the idea~?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-12-2012, 12:53 AM
Forum Citizen

red runner roaches aint that bad as they look like beetles in a way and are bright red so you can find them when u are cleaning out the cage

Old 31-12-2012, 12:54 AM
Forum Citizen

use a life food tub as you can cut a correct size door in it and then if the gecko does his business in it your can throw it out or clean it. Plus they hold moisture well along as you don't put it in the warm area

Old 31-12-2012, 12:57 AM
Forum Citizen

plus with roaches you can buy only male roachs on some sites so if one gets out they cant breed and most of the roaches are from hot parts of the world sso if you got some un eaten ones i put them in the garden and the freeze to death. i know people are going to say roach cruelty but i rather kill a roach than having my house like Joe's apartment. great film btw if you heven't seen it you should.

Old 31-12-2012, 01:05 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketQueen View Post
D3...thats different to calcium right? I am currently dusting the with calcium only.

It is an old heat mat yes! I am a bit short of cash, and my friends leant me alot of thier old stuff for now. I thought about going out n buyin a new heatmat, but then I was like "What if I do that and it makes no difference?". I have a thermostat attached, it is a habistat one. Thats all I know as another hand me down. Vivarium is roughly 35 x 15 ins. Another friend of mine suggested a heat bulb too.

I will keep the variety going don't worry, not cockroaches tho. OMG major cockroach phobia! Soooo scared of them! lol! but the other stuff. I am gut laoding them too

Another thing. Her moss box atm! It's really big, n has a hole in the top to climb into. I have had her at home for about 2 weeks and have no seen her even try and use it. I reckon it might be a big big and cumbersome for her to get into. My friend gave me a thing today for her to hide in. It's like a plant pot, but half of one. I thought mebbe I could put the moss under here instead. Would this be worth trying? I realise It woudl dry out quicker n I would have to spray it more often to keep it moist. But what do you think of the idea~?
Yeah D3 is different to calcium. The gecko will need a source of D3 (such as Repashy Calcium Plus, Nutrobal or UVB lights) in order to absorb calcium properly. Without a source of D3 they will be far more prone to MBD and other nasties. So they need a multivitamin supplement and that calcium dust too.

I reckon a new heat mat would be more effective. Before you do that just check that the thermostat isn't turning the mat off before it's getting to temperature (check that the light on the stat remains on). Heat bulbs can work but you'll need a surface underneath that retains heat (without being hot enough to burn) and will need a suitable thermostat. What thermometers are you using to measure the temperatures? As in analogue/dial or digital ones? And where are you measuring the temperature (on the floor, on the wall, etc)?

I can understand why people don't like roaches - I'm not so fond of the adults but I think the smaller ones are quite sweet (yes I'm a weirdo )

As long as it's a hide that will be able to trap some of that humidity it should be ok, sure I've seen people using half flower pots before. Have a go, some geckos don't use their humid hide but shed fine anyway.

Old 31-12-2012, 01:13 AM
Forum Citizen

i personally like red runners as they are really attractive but in my opinion they are most likely to be seen in the dark. have a look on the web at picks but they are smaller than other roaches and that means they are likely to escape

Old 31-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Egg

Ok, so, the fact I have a UVA light in there, does nothing?? I need UVB? Is that right?

soo the light on the stat remains on, except when I turn it to 24 or 22 or whatever it is that day. So I am assuming that it does that to say it is at the right temp (i.e. when the desired temp is reached the light turns off) I try to whack it up, but the light constantly stays on, which to me, says it's not reaching the right temp? What do you think? It is a dail that I am turning to measure it, and I have the sensor on the floor of the vivarium, I have it right next to the side of the slate pieces I have in there.

Another point, since I have had her, she has already shed (within a few days of getting her into the vivarium) I don't think she used the moss box for it, so...do I even need one?

Also how often do they shed?

Sorry for all the questions but am really appreciateing your help. x

PLANTYBLK - I have just looked at the red runners! Yes their much smaller. But no! thier still roaches, I simply cannot do it. lol, thanks so much anyways tho x
Old 02-01-2013, 11:54 AM
5 Star Member

Is the UVA your heat source? Normal bulbs don't emit UVB, you'd need a special bulb and fittings for those. You don't need UVB but it certainly has its benefits.

You should keep the heat source at around 32-35C (90-95F) but switch it off at night. If the light doesn't turn off or dim then it isn't reaching and maintaining temperature. I suggest you get a new heat mat (shouldn't be too much, around £10?) these are much better for the gecko, you can keep it on 24/7 and it'll get to temperature a lot better as it's only heating the floor rather than the entire tank.

Some geckos don't use moist hides at all and shed fine, others require the humidity when shedding. I would provide one even if she doesn't use it. It could be that it's new and she's not entirely sure of it yet. As for how often they shed, it depends entirely on the gecko, age, health etc.

Tags
feeding , gecko , temperature