Reptile Forums banner

Anyone got Axalotl's

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  JennieVincent 
#1 ·
Just bought 2 axolotls (from different places) they are both roughly the same size and are getting on really well. I am pretty sure I have a male and a female, just not sure on there ages, the petshop didn't know. They are both about 5 inches inches long. The one i think is male is longer and thinner, the one i thought was female has a shorter fatter tail and a rounder head.(and a fat tummy) Won't let me post there photos for some reason maybe cos im new, well that's my story anyway :)

#2 ·
I've got a big albino male, they're pretty interesting pets although like most nocturnal animals they're not much to look at during the day!

Males will have an obvious bulge at the base of the tail when mature.

I've found earthworms are the best food from them, although mine also enjoys bloodworm and prawns.

Best,
Paul

#3 ·
Mine do seem to move about a bit in the day, although at about 5 pm they seen to wake up hungry, i was feeding them bloodworms but am now trying them on earthworms, one seems to enjoy these (the fatter of the 2) but the smaller one doesn't seem to enjoy his so much. Maybe its just because there new, i suppose i need to get used to there feeding habits im going to have to try and post a photo, thanks for your reply! Oh and i just bought them some shrimps to try later :)

#4 ·
I have two females, they're great little pets and very easy to care for. Mine have a main diet of earthworms, but I also treat them to frozen bloodworm, daphnia and the occasional "amphib" cube which they love. I don't bother with artifical pellets and prefer to stick to a more natural diet. I tend to feed mine every other day although it can vary.

Did you cycle your tank before adding your axolotls? I cycled mine for roughly 6 weeks before it was ready. Remember that water testing is vital. One little ammonia spike could wipe them out as they're very sensitive creatures. I do water changes/syphon their sand weekly (obviously gravel is dangerous for them as they can swallow it and choke), I also regularly test for ammonia/nitrate/nitrites.

Mine are fairly active and will interact with you if you approach them, they like to "follow" the dog around the room as well. I've been told they slow down and get lazier with age but time will tell! Also ensure you keep their temperatures low, mine are normally around 17/18c, Anything over 24 can cause them harm, illness and fungal infections can also occur.

What size tank do you have for them?

Good luck with your new additions!
:2thumb:

#5 ·
I have used a tank that has been used for 'regular' cold water fish, they have large stones in the bottom of the tank as i had heard about them swallowing gravel, so nothing smaller than there heads, Im pretty certain one is a boy as it is about 6inches now and it seems to becoming obvious! The tank i am not sure on the litre of but it is 2ft x 1ft by another 1ft high, i know at some point soon i am going to need a bigger tank though! The water is below 19 as the pet shop only had tropical thermometers, they said i wouldn't need one for the Axalotal as being in the UK it is cold enough! I have bought the testing kit and everything seems to be going ok! Thanks for your help, and you will have to excuse my grammar as Im on my phone, going to go on the pc tomorrow and try and add some pics :)

#8 ·
All sounds good. You'll definitely need to upgrade to allow them adequate space, as you probably already know axoltols average at about 9" but can reach sizes of up to 12"!

19c sounds fine. You wont have too much difficulty keeping it down in our colder bitter months, but you may find it harder in the summer. Even though mine isn't in direct sunlight, etc, it still started to reach worrying temperatures and I found by filling up some large bottles of tank water (don't use tap, just incase it leaks!), freezing them and placing them in the tank, it kept the waters at an ideal temperature for them.

The best way to sex an axolotl is by sneaking a peek at their "bulge" if they're a male, you'll definitely notice it. Here's an example I've pinched from the caudata website to show you:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/attach...breeding/23092d1337572187-gender-cimg7710.jpg

I had a male and female back when I first brought them, but unfortunately the male died the following day (water parameters were perfect, temps ok, etc so no clue why!), a couple of weeks later I bought another female and they're both great together.
:2thumb:

#11 ·
The frozen bottles of tank water sound like a good idea, i never thought of that. My PH is 6.8 and the ammonia looks to be about. 0.1 I am obviously wanting to get this down to zero I seem to have a floater and a swimmer, this worried me at first but she's not at the surface gulping air, just floating about, she can and does spend a lot of time on the bottom too. My male (i have decided and think you will agree, he is a male) has taken to copying the floating thing from my ?female? She is now bigger than him by maybe an inch although she was smaller when we got her, they are both eating the same as i feed them live earthworm with the kind of grippy scissor things. They do both gulp air occa,sionally from the surface but then can stay at the bottom for hours so i think they just like to do it! If anyone has any advice or thinks i should be doing things differently in any way please feel free to comment, any help is appreciated. I am currently looking for a new tank maybe 4 feet, they are fine at the moment but Im sure looking early is best! I saw a lovely. 5 foot tank the other day, complete with light, filter, gravel, heater (yep i know i would have to re sell or bin most of it) for £180. But think i will get January xmas debts out of the way first, i would say my male is maybe 5 in and my female 5 and a half to 6. So i think they will be just fine for a few months (probably 3 max) well i am on my phone again so please excuse my lack of paragraphs

#13 ·
Any ammonia present is always a worry but if the tank is cycling it's quite normal. I've heard with young axolotls it's common for them to hang around at the surface floating about every now and then, they tend to be more active than older ones. Mine spend most of their time on the bottom but will occasionally float around / swim about on top (mostly when they see me as they're expecting food!). They will go up for air occasionally but if it's too regular it could be an indication of bad water parameters.

I have a three foot for my two which is a great size (and also the recommended for two). I will see how they go and if I feel they need an upgrade in the future I'll definitely get them one. Any bigger is always better though! I just got my tank for an absolute bargain at the price of £30! (with stand and light).

#14 ·
iv two males and a female love them ! amazing personalities :)
males also normally have a lump between there back legs when at sexual maturity!

#15 ·
Well i definitely have a boy then! I asked in the pet shop where i got my boy from there aproximate age, they said they normally get them about 15-20 weeks and i got my boy the day they came in. My boy (I measured him) is 5in but definitely has his 'lumpy bits' lol. My female if Thats what she is is half an inch bigger, much fatter and has a miles bigger head. £30 for your 3ft tank is definitely a bargain, Im hoping to find a good bargain too!
Anyone who fancies guessing the age of my babies any ideas welcome! Its just curiosity really. The ammonia seems to of gone from the tank and the water is lovely and clear. There both eating worms still and get equal amounts. Going to try and get some new pics now and attempt to post them i really should get on the pc but 3 kids say otherwise! Thanks for all your help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.