Anyone got Axalotl's - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 31-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Egg
Default Anyone got Axalotl's

Just bought 2 axolotls (from different places) they are both roughly the same size and are getting on really well. I am pretty sure I have a male and a female, just not sure on there ages, the petshop didn't know. They are both about 5 inches inches long. The one i think is male is longer and thinner, the one i thought was female has a shorter fatter tail and a rounder head.(and a fat tummy) Won't let me post there photos for some reason maybe cos im new, well that's my story anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Ultra Citizen

I've got a big albino male, they're pretty interesting pets although like most nocturnal animals they're not much to look at during the day!

Males will have an obvious bulge at the base of the tail when mature.

I've found earthworms are the best food from them, although mine also enjoys bloodworm and prawns.

Best,
Paul
Old 03-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Egg

Mine do seem to move about a bit in the day, although at about 5 pm they seen to wake up hungry, i was feeding them bloodworms but am now trying them on earthworms, one seems to enjoy these (the fatter of the 2) but the smaller one doesn't seem to enjoy his so much. Maybe its just because there new, i suppose i need to get used to there feeding habits im going to have to try and post a photo, thanks for your reply! Oh and i just bought them some shrimps to try later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Super Citizen

I have two females, they're great little pets and very easy to care for. Mine have a main diet of earthworms, but I also treat them to frozen bloodworm, daphnia and the occasional "amphib" cube which they love. I don't bother with artifical pellets and prefer to stick to a more natural diet. I tend to feed mine every other day although it can vary.

Did you cycle your tank before adding your axolotls? I cycled mine for roughly 6 weeks before it was ready. Remember that water testing is vital. One little ammonia spike could wipe them out as they're very sensitive creatures. I do water changes/syphon their sand weekly (obviously gravel is dangerous for them as they can swallow it and choke), I also regularly test for ammonia/nitrate/nitrites.

Mine are fairly active and will interact with you if you approach them, they like to "follow" the dog around the room as well. I've been told they slow down and get lazier with age but time will tell! Also ensure you keep their temperatures low, mine are normally around 17/18c, Anything over 24 can cause them harm, illness and fungal infections can also occur.

What size tank do you have for them?

Good luck with your new additions!
1 Albino Lavender Kingsnake
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Axolotls
1 African Pygmy Hedgehog
"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Egg

I have used a tank that has been used for 'regular' cold water fish, they have large stones in the bottom of the tank as i had heard about them swallowing gravel, so nothing smaller than there heads, Im pretty certain one is a boy as it is about 6inches now and it seems to becoming obvious! The tank i am not sure on the litre of but it is 2ft x 1ft by another 1ft high, i know at some point soon i am going to need a bigger tank though! The water is below 19 as the pet shop only had tropical thermometers, they said i wouldn't need one for the Axalotal as being in the UK it is cold enough! I have bought the testing kit and everything seems to be going ok! Thanks for your help, and you will have to excuse my grammar as Im on my phone, going to go on the pc tomorrow and try and add some pics
Old 05-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Egg

Not sure if these pics are going to help!! (or even work!) Snot is the greeny coloured one, and Slimer is the blacker of the two (both named by my 7 year old)!!!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Super Citizen

All sounds good. You'll definitely need to upgrade to allow them adequate space, as you probably already know axoltols average at about 9" but can reach sizes of up to 12"!

19c sounds fine. You wont have too much difficulty keeping it down in our colder bitter months, but you may find it harder in the summer. Even though mine isn't in direct sunlight, etc, it still started to reach worrying temperatures and I found by filling up some large bottles of tank water (don't use tap, just incase it leaks!), freezing them and placing them in the tank, it kept the waters at an ideal temperature for them.

The best way to sex an axolotl is by sneaking a peek at their "bulge" if they're a male, you'll definitely notice it. Here's an example I've pinched from the caudata website to show you:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/attachm...r-cimg7710.jpg

I had a male and female back when I first brought them, but unfortunately the male died the following day (water parameters were perfect, temps ok, etc so no clue why!), a couple of weeks later I bought another female and they're both great together.
1 Albino Lavender Kingsnake
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Axolotls
1 African Pygmy Hedgehog
"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Regular

What are your water parameters? Testing regularly for ammonia and keeping an eye on your pH etc is very important, probably even more important with axolotls than with tropical fish.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Forum Citizen

I have a wild type and a leucistic, both are males and around the 12' mark.

lovely pets to have, highly interactive.. And they love their earthworms!

Posted from Reptileforums.co.uk App for Android

Tags
axalotls , new additions , sexing