Corn snake for a 12 year old? advice - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 31-12-2012, 06:13 PM
5 Star Member

Above is nearly all you need and you'll need a decent digital thermometer as well.
scotty667 likes this.

National Reptile Awareness Day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah81 View Post
Above is nearly all you need and you'll need a decent digital thermometer as well.
Yep i knew i forgot something lol, Thanks .
Old 31-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Forum Citizen

All the advise given above is top notch.

My golden rule for new keepers is that if the setup and the snake are over £100 total, then you can get it all much cheaper elsewhere.
scotty667 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-12-2012, 07:10 PM
5 Star Member
Reviews: 7

Mine cost £70 for a normal corn(by far the best ) and a basic set up. Took me five years to convince my mum I was serious about having a snake an finally got one for my 14th birthday. Had him four years, never hissed or bitten. Can't go wrong with a corn
Old 31-12-2012, 08:06 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie1986 View Post
hi all i'm hoping im posting in the right place- it will be my sons 12th birthday in febuary and after years of pestering for a snake i was considering letting him have a corn snake- as from what i've heard these are best for beginners. just wanted some general advice on what i should be expecting to pay? there's 2 independent reptile shops near to where i live (worcester) and also a pets at home that have started to sell reptiles. thanks in advance!
only thing i would add is corns can be quick to handle and do love to escape there is another snake that i would say makes a good first time snake is a royal python very placid dont get to big in length a very manageable big bodied snake setups easy too worth a look

Paul
Old 31-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie1986 View Post
hi all i'm hoping im posting in the right place- it will be my sons 12th birthday in febuary and after years of pestering for a snake i was considering letting him have a corn snake- as from what i've heard these are best for beginners. just wanted some general advice on what i should be expecting to pay? there's 2 independent reptile shops near to where i live (worcester) and also a pets at home that have started to sell reptiles. thanks in advance!
I wouldn't buy animals from pets at home, some people on here do but personally I would not, I suggest having a look around the local reptile shops around where you are or try and find breeders close to you, try looking round the classified section.

My corn (bloodred/diffused morph) cost me £60 from a good reptile shop, she was my first snake and she's grown and changed so much, mine was kept in a large flat faunarium, heated with a stat controlled heat mat, digi thermom probe on the bottom of the faun under the substrate & then there's decor, hides, substrate, water dish etc etc, didn't cost all that much, the stat cost the most I would say but this is essential to control the heat mat.
Old 31-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Regular

Plus food shouldnt cost more than £1.25 a week for an adult corn

My brother is 12 and he helps me with the cleaning, handling and feeding of the snakes. At the end of the day if the person is confident around the snake then you shouldnt have a problem
Old 31-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakes95 View Post

My brother is 12 and he helps me with the cleaning, handling and feeding of the snakes. At the end of the day if the person is confident around the snake then you shouldnt have a problem
This!

I've been working with snakes since I was 7. If they are responsible and comfortable, you should have no issues.

Have yourself a happy new year!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:19 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakes95 View Post

Even cheaper if fed every two-three weeks and if you find a local breeder who does mice cheap and does it all legal of course.

Like everyone else said Confidence is the main thing i got mine when i was 13-14 and none of my family liked snakes that much so it was just me.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:04 PM
Regular

I'd say for a 12 year old if your happy with having a larger snake then a royal would be better as they are easy to handle, placid, not as easy to get lost and aren't too expensive. A normal can be anything from from £20-£50.

young corns and kids can be a disaster as corns can be very fast when their young and although they are mostly easy to tame, can be quite nippy at first.

Hope this helps, I'm only speaking from experience as my corn was so quick when I first got him and for a first time keeper it can be quite daunting, especially because if you lose them when so small they can be impossible to find
merritt likes this.

Tags
begginer , corn snake