Corn snake for a 12 year old? advice - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 01-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by krstfoster View Post
I'd say for a 12 year old if your happy with having a larger snake then a royal would be better as they are easy to handle, placid, not as easy to get lost and aren't too expensive. A normal can be anything from from £20-£50.

young corns and kids can be a disaster as corns can be very fast when their young and although they are mostly easy to tame, can be quite nippy at first.

Hope this helps, I'm only speaking from experience as my corn was so quick when I first got him and for a first time keeper it can be quite daunting, especially because if you lose them when so small they can be impossible to find
I would have to disagree with you there. I do not think it is a disaster if the child knows that these snakes can behave like that occasionally and that they should be careful not to let them escape.

If you have suitable housing, knowledge and common sense (and this goes for all ages) then I don't see where the problems would arise. So long as they are reminded to properly handle the animal and to secure its cage.

Sure, problems COULD arise, but they are unlikely and I think it is rather unnecessary to brand them a disaster without due cause.

Just my two cents.
scotty667 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Regular

I said CAN Be a disaster. My two corns had both been returned to the shop after two weeks at they were 'too flighty' and 'too quick'. But after regular handling they are fine, but it depends how much time is put into it as animals are not born tame. All depends on the child really. I've also heard of so many lost snakes due to them being let go when handled
Old 01-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Forum Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to merritt

I love my corns to bits, I keep both corns and Royals and I find my adult corns are far more active in the viv and are as docile as my royals when out, the where little when they where hatchlings but with time and patients they calmed down and my little nephew has fallen in love with my citrine. When hatchlings I used http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/product...ctGroupID=1287 it is slightly more on face value than other "starter kits" BUT it comes with a stat which can be transferred to the viv when you upgrade.
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 02:17 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by merritt View Post
I love my corns to bits, I keep both corns and Royals and I find my adult corns are far more active in the viv and are as docile as my royals when out, the where little when they where hatchlings but with time and patients they calmed down and my little nephew has fallen in love with my citrine. When hatchlings I used Triple 8 Reptiles - 888 Reptiles Hatchling Snake Complete Setup Large Faunarium it is slightly more on face value than other "starter kits" BUT it comes with a stat which can be transferred to the viv when you upgrade.
Have to dissagree with the set-up for corns it's much cheaper getting it all seperate i'd say and at least then you can buy digi thermometers for just under £2 on ebay it's still a good set-up though but just those thermometers in them starter kits are rubbish.

My corns when babies were perfect no hissing no biting they did occasionally tail rattle but what corn doesn't .
Old 02-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty667 View Post
Have to dissagree with the set-up for corns it's much cheaper getting it all seperate i'd say and at least then you can buy digi thermometers for just under £2 on ebay it's still a good set-up though but just those thermometers in them starter kits are rubbish.

My corns when babies were perfect no hissing no biting they did occasionally tail rattle but what corn doesn't .
I bought a batch of corns from a friend not to long ago, each setup only cost me about £30 each, granted I already had some tubs for them.

Heat mats, thermometer hide huts and everything else I got for under 30 quid.

You can make your own hides and water bowls.

Heat mats and thermometers. are cheap.

Substrate is amazingly cheap if like me, you have quite a few snakes and buy in bulk.

These corns don't even rattle their tails. When I hatch my own, they seem to strike for the first week or so, but reduce to tail rattling and them go tame. These ones seemed to surpass the above two behaviors and are as good as gold.

Oh and krstfoster, my point is they can only really be labeled a disaster if you allow it to become one. If a kid is not responsible, then mistakes will happen, but the majority of kids learn responsibility.

I got my first snake when I was 7. Did I let go of it? No. Did I forget to secure the cage? No. Thats because I done my research, learnt what behaviours it can display and spent a good deal of my pocket money to make sure its cage was 100% secure.

I will agree with one point, it does come down to the child. But also to the adult if they neglect to supervise the child and make sure they are taking proper care of the animal.
scotty667 likes this.

Last edited by snakesandscales; 02-01-2013 at 01:13 PM..
Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Super Regular

all depends on prices on morphs and markings also where you buy them from at kempton reptile expo i saw some going for as low as £10 at the end of the day!

whilst a local pet shop sells them for alot more
Old 03-01-2013, 12:21 AM
5 Star Member

go to worcester reptiles in lowesmoor they will give you all the advise you need and also sell second hand vivs as well at good prices, they are very good on price and advice, i go there for all my rep needs, wouldnt go anywhere ele.

RIP little pedro.

3 boas - 1.1.0 , 1.1 fire skinks, 2 iggys, 3 boscs 1.2.0,
3 kings - 1.2.0, one female nile, 4 leopard geckos 1.3.0, 5 fish
4 rabbits 4 rats, 6 cats. 11 ferrets, 1 alaskan shepherd, 3 carpet pythons 2.1., 0.0.1 brb , one water dragon 1.0.0, 4 royal pythons 1.1.0, four corn snakes 2.2.0. 2 leos, 1 fire skink,

Tags
begginer , corn snake