Is a tarantula right for me? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice


  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Egg
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14
Default Is a tarantula right for me?

Hi All,
Just signed up here to get some advice on tarantulas,
Im looking into getting one, nothing definate yet just doing research
at the moment. I've never had a tarantula before, but I have kept (and occasionally bred) in the past various stick insects, praying mantis etc.

so I've got some experiance with inverts, Im looking at either a curly hair or a mexican red knee. The reason Im asking is a tarantula right for me is
because if I brought one I would like to handle it, after reading various websites/books/forums etc there seems to be a divided opinion on this.
I know its not the sort of animal you get out everyday and play with and you have to be careful because they can bite, urticating hairs,
and they are deilcate creatures. but every so often I would like to get it out and hold it, just for the same reason as many of you on here im fascinated with them. im gonna pop down to the south east arachnid show in ashford to have look see.

So was just wanting some opinions/advice/critatisms on the subject, do you guys and girls handle your more friendlier T's or is it best to admire them from behind the glass?in which case Should i rethink getting a T.

All opinions welcome, and my apologies for rambling.

regards

Andy
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 02:43 PM
snakesandscales's Avatar
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In the reptile room
Posts: 479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfergy View Post
Hi All,
Just signed up here to get some advice on tarantulas,
Im looking into getting one, nothing definate yet just doing research
at the moment. I've never had a tarantula before, but I have kept (and occasionally bred) in the past various stick insects, praying mantis etc.

so I've got some experiance with inverts, Im looking at either a curly hair or a mexican red knee. The reason Im asking is a tarantula right for me is
because if I brought one I would like to handle it, after reading various websites/books/forums etc there seems to be a divided opinion on this.
I know its not the sort of animal you get out everyday and play with and you have to be careful because they can bite, urticating hairs,
and they are deilcate creatures. but every so often I would like to get it out and hold it, just for the same reason as many of you on here im fascinated with them. im gonna pop down to the south east arachnid show in ashford to have look see.

So was just wanting some opinions/advice/critatisms on the subject, do you guys and girls handle your more friendlier T's or is it best to admire them from behind the glass?in which case Should i rethink getting a T.

All opinions welcome, and my apologies for rambling.

regards

Andy
Not only do we share the same name, but I also, would like to get into tarantulas.

I'm a snake guy, always have been for the past 9 years. But I love T's and really am considering getting some B. smithi in the new year.

I'd really recommend the Tarantula Keepers Guide I'm reading it at the moment and it is very helpful. I've also been looking in the invert section for extra info.

Best of luck, looking forward to other peoples replies.

Andy
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Gold Star Member
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,780
Default

Welcome Andy.

Stick this in here Spiders and Inverts - Reptile Forums you will probably get a lot more T people look at it, and as your going to a expo tomo you may end up with a few.
__________________
FOR SALE IM LEAVING THE HOBBY, CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP


I can't believe how cheap I'm doing him for now !!!
4 gene male dwarf Retic £400
This prices include full setup!!!!!

dwarf retic
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...l#post12161744
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...l#post12161755
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Egg
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpHunter63 View Post
Not only do we share the same name, but I also, would like to get into tarantulas.

I'm a snake guy, always have been for the past 9 years. But I love T's and really am considering getting some B. smithi in the new year.

I'd really recommend the Tarantula Keepers Guide I'm reading it at the moment and it is very helpful. I've also been looking in the invert section for extra info.

Best of luck, looking forward to other peoples replies.

Andy
Hi Andy,

Whos the tarantula keepers guide written by??
I've got 2 books Tarantulas by andreas tinter, which i've been told some of the info is abit incorrect, and Animal planet tarantulas by micheal andreas jacobi which i find more informative.

I've reposted this in the spiders and inverts bit, so I dont know if one of the mods wants to deleate this post,

cheers andy
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 596
Default

Hiya mate, yeah like you say there is a very divided opinion on handling your spiders, and me as a keeper that occasionally handles theirs, I would recommend a curly hair over a red knee as in my experience they tend to be more docile, I wouldn't encourage you to handle it but if you do, just be very careful, as a bite will not be very serious but you don't wanna drop the wee fella, start with a fairly small one (but not too small that it's fragile/frightened/fast) and if you do handle don't have it out for ages and don't do it all the time as it will stress it, I've kept (and handled) for over twelve years and never been bitten, so if you're careful you shouldn't be either, just try and be gentle and calm as possible and keep it away from kids, also i always sit on the floor if i get one out then a potential(not had one yet either) droppage is less severe/dangerous to spiddly diddly
good luck
__________________
Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Jeffers3's Avatar
Premier Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants
Posts: 8,925
Reviews: 1
Default

I've got a chile rose and mexican red knee. I have handled the chile rose quite often and it doesn't seem to bother her too much. The mexican red knee is not tiny, but still quite small, delicate and skittish. I haven't handled her at all, but probably will do eventually.

I find them fascinating, but they're not everyone's cup of tea.
__________________


Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus


“... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.”
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 11:16 PM
snakesandscales's Avatar
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In the reptile room
Posts: 479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfergy View Post
Hi Andy,

Whos the tarantula keepers guide written by??
I've got 2 books Tarantulas by andreas tinter, which i've been told some of the info is abit incorrect, and Animal planet tarantulas by micheal andreas jacobi which i find more informative.

I've reposted this in the spiders and inverts bit, so I dont know if one of the mods wants to deleate this post,

cheers andy
It's by Stanley Shultz
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 PM
snakesandscales's Avatar
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In the reptile room
Posts: 479
Default

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0764138855
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tarantula ID help.... Nai383 Spiders and Inverts 15 10-05-2012 11:35 PM
SE England Tarantula book for sale - "The Tarantula Keepers Guide" goldielocks Invert Classifieds 0 18-03-2012 01:16 AM
NW England Tarantula classification and identification guide andrew m smith FOR SALE! Tarantula tonydavo Invert Classifieds 6 06-03-2012 07:43 PM
what was my tarantula doing? Carl6688 Spiders and Inverts 6 22-03-2011 10:38 AM
Tarantula tug of war garlicpickle Spiders and Inverts 14 21-10-2009 07:07 PM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:36 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)