Is a tarantula right for me? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 01-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Egg
Default Is a tarantula right for me?

Hi All,
Just signed up here to get some advice on tarantulas,
Im looking into getting one, nothing definate yet just doing research
at the moment. I've never had a tarantula before, but I have kept (and occasionally bred) in the past various stick insects, praying mantis etc.

so I've got some experiance with inverts, Im looking at either a curly hair or a mexican red knee. The reason Im asking is a tarantula right for me is
because if I brought one I would like to handle it, after reading various websites/books/forums etc there seems to be a divided opinion on this.
I know its not the sort of animal you get out everyday and play with and you have to be careful because they can bite, urticating hairs,
and they are deilcate creatures. but every so often I would like to get it out and hold it, just for the same reason as many of you on here im fascinated with them. im gonna pop down to the south east arachnid show in ashford to have look see.

So was just wanting some opinions/advice/critatisms on the subject, do you guys and girls handle your more friendlier T's or is it best to admire them from behind the glass?in which case Should i rethink getting a T.

All opinions welcome, and my apologies for rambling.

regards

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfergy View Post
Hi All,
Just signed up here to get some advice on tarantulas,
Im looking into getting one, nothing definate yet just doing research
at the moment. I've never had a tarantula before, but I have kept (and occasionally bred) in the past various stick insects, praying mantis etc.

so I've got some experiance with inverts, Im looking at either a curly hair or a mexican red knee. The reason Im asking is a tarantula right for me is
because if I brought one I would like to handle it, after reading various websites/books/forums etc there seems to be a divided opinion on this.
I know its not the sort of animal you get out everyday and play with and you have to be careful because they can bite, urticating hairs,
and they are deilcate creatures. but every so often I would like to get it out and hold it, just for the same reason as many of you on here im fascinated with them. im gonna pop down to the south east arachnid show in ashford to have look see.

So was just wanting some opinions/advice/critatisms on the subject, do you guys and girls handle your more friendlier T's or is it best to admire them from behind the glass?in which case Should i rethink getting a T.

All opinions welcome, and my apologies for rambling.

regards

Andy
Not only do we share the same name, but I also, would like to get into tarantulas.

I'm a snake guy, always have been for the past 9 years. But I love T's and really am considering getting some B. smithi in the new year.

I'd really recommend the Tarantula Keepers Guide I'm reading it at the moment and it is very helpful. I've also been looking in the invert section for extra info.

Best of luck, looking forward to other peoples replies.

Andy
Old 01-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Gold Star Member

Welcome Andy.

Stick this in here Spiders and Inverts - Reptile Forums you will probably get a lot more T people look at it, and as your going to a expo tomo you may end up with a few.

I can't believe how cheap I'm doing him for now !!!
4 gene male dwarf Retic £400
This prices include full setup!!!!!

dwarf retic
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...l#post12161744
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...l#post12161755
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpHunter63 View Post
Not only do we share the same name, but I also, would like to get into tarantulas.

I'm a snake guy, always have been for the past 9 years. But I love T's and really am considering getting some B. smithi in the new year.

I'd really recommend the Tarantula Keepers Guide I'm reading it at the moment and it is very helpful. I've also been looking in the invert section for extra info.

Best of luck, looking forward to other peoples replies.

Andy
Hi Andy,

Whos the tarantula keepers guide written by??
I've got 2 books Tarantulas by andreas tinter, which i've been told some of the info is abit incorrect, and Animal planet tarantulas by micheal andreas jacobi which i find more informative.

I've reposted this in the spiders and inverts bit, so I dont know if one of the mods wants to deleate this post,

cheers andy
Old 01-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Forum Citizen

Hiya mate, yeah like you say there is a very divided opinion on handling your spiders, and me as a keeper that occasionally handles theirs, I would recommend a curly hair over a red knee as in my experience they tend to be more docile, I wouldn't encourage you to handle it but if you do, just be very careful, as a bite will not be very serious but you don't wanna drop the wee fella, start with a fairly small one (but not too small that it's fragile/frightened/fast) and if you do handle don't have it out for ages and don't do it all the time as it will stress it, I've kept (and handled) for over twelve years and never been bitten, so if you're careful you shouldn't be either, just try and be gentle and calm as possible and keep it away from kids, also i always sit on the floor if i get one out then a potential(not had one yet either) droppage is less severe/dangerous to spiddly diddly
good luck
Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 1

I've got a chile rose and mexican red knee. I have handled the chile rose quite often and it doesn't seem to bother her too much. The mexican red knee is not tiny, but still quite small, delicate and skittish. I haven't handled her at all, but probably will do eventually.

I find them fascinating, but they're not everyone's cup of tea.

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

“... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.”
Old 01-01-2013, 11:16 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfergy View Post
Hi Andy,

Whos the tarantula keepers guide written by??
I've got 2 books Tarantulas by andreas tinter, which i've been told some of the info is abit incorrect, and Animal planet tarantulas by micheal andreas jacobi which i find more informative.

I've reposted this in the spiders and inverts bit, so I dont know if one of the mods wants to deleate this post,

cheers andy
It's by Stanley Shultz
Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Forum Citizen

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0764138855