Thinking of setting up an enclosure for lizards ,recommendations please. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 02-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Egg
Default Thinking of setting up an enclosure for lizards ,recommendations please.

Hello
I have just joined here as title suggests I'm toying with the idea of a lizard setup and would like some advice on suitable occupants.

First up a bit about me.
I'm an experienced aquarist but have recently lost interest in the hobby. I mainly kept Central and South American cichlids. I've had numerous setups over the years, my last I constructed my self out of steel with one viewing pane (pics and more info to follow) .
I have also built a pond in the back garden with a custom filtration system. It contains Koi and goldfish along with wild Rudd and Gudgeon.
I did once keep a couple of bearded dragons when their owner lost interest in them. So am competent with that level of requirement . My brother also had a Yemeni Chameleon and I cared for him from time to time.

Anyway enough rambling let's cut to the chase .

What I'm thinking of is turning my DIY 200+ gal corner tank into a lizard enclosure.
I was thinking of still keeping a watery theme to it and have envisioned as scene with rockwork and branches over hanging a water filled base possibly containing some small fish?
The tank has gas tap controlled outlets at the bottom and inlets at the top of the side walls. This way draining the tank for water changes ,cleaning etc is hassle free.
The filters on the tank are large and very powerful so I will need to adjust the flow rate as I'm thinking the return should be via a waterfall down the rockwork from one of the inlets.
Can you see what I'm thinking?

Now here's where you come in..
What type of lizards if any could you see living in such an enclosure?
The tank is outside in an insulated shed which is built onto the side of the house so while ambient temps are lower than average room temps it's never really cold although winter time heating 200 odd gallons of water for tropical Cichlids did send the meter spinning at times....

Measurements of the tank are approx 6foot wide 4foot front to back and just over 3foot tall .

What do you reckon then? Any more info just ask.

Thanks in advance
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 06:51 PM
5 Star Member

If there was a way to extend its height then it would be great for water dragons, Chinese or Australian, sailfin (hydrosaurus), basilisk to name a few. With the small height I'm not so sure on what it would suit if you're set on a large water area.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Super Citizen

You could keep arboreal geckos into, ie, madagascan day geckos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Egg

Well yes that wouldn't be a problem.. I could extend right up to the ceiling with netting? but then I'd not be able to contain humidity would that be a problem? the depth of water would be easily changed thinking less than a foot deep and with protruding rock and branches so would still be usable space.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:06 PM
5 Star Member

They all require high humidity as you'd expect with the water and I'm sure this would be nigh on impossible to maintain with the extension in mesh I'm afraid. I certainly can't think of any lizard that requires/likes high volumes of water and low humidity, can't see it being possible. Sorry I can't be of more help, hopefully someone else can think of a suitable lizard.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Egg

Thanks Harry I'll look into them.

Tom, so you'd advise dropping the water quantity..
That's no problem.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:39 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Fastback View Post
Thanks Harry I'll look into them.

Tom, so you'd advise dropping the water quantity..
That's no problem.
No, a foot would be fine, a deep pool is beneficial to the reps I mentioned just they need a good 6ft height so the enclosure would have to be extended and it would have to be something other than mesh to keep humidity in.

Edit: Personally I would build a second steel or sealed wooden frame (the same as the first) without a floor but with a roof and sit it on top of this one. You could then have the foot or so of water as you planned and a good 5ft of air space above this with various branches, ledges, etc. you then have the top section with frontward opening/sliding doors for access.

Last edited by tomcannon; 02-01-2013 at 07:46 PM..
Old 02-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcannon View Post
No, a foot would be fine, a deep pool is beneficial to the reps I mentioned just they need a good 6ft height so the enclosure would have to be extended and it would have to be something other than mesh to keep humidity in.

Personally I would build a second steel frame (the same as the first) without a floor but with a roof and sit it on top of this one. You could then have the foot or so of water as you planned and a good 5ft of air space above this with various branches, ledges, etc.
Yes that would be nice but the steel frame along with the water proof paints was neither a quick or cheap build.. Although this second one wouldn't need to be anywhere near as strong as the first I was hoping for a quick switch over to reps.
I will look into building another frame though as I like your thinking . A floor to ceiling enclosure would be sweet!

But for now maybe water dragons, basilisks etc are not the way to go... Maybe loosing the water and different a inhabitant .
Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Fastback View Post
Yes that would be nice but the steel frame along with the water proof paints was neither a quick or cheap build.. Although this second one wouldn't need to be anywhere near as strong as the first I was hoping for a quick switch over to reps.
I will look into building another frame though as I like your thinking . A floor to ceiling enclosure would be sweet!

But for now maybe water dragons, basilisks etc are not the way to go... Maybe loosing the water and different a inhabitant .
Loosing the water would open it up to a whole different variety of suitable reps however a simple wooden frame with glass sliding doors would not be expensive, would look awesome and with a bottom suitable for that sheer volume of water then you want to use it properly. A water dragon, sailfin or basilisk would look the nuts in this. As you said you can have a few small fish at the bottom and they love swimming so would enjoy every minute of it.

In my eyes a waterless setup would be a waste of what you've got! Build the frame, go on, I dare you!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcannon View Post
Loosing the water would open it up to a whole different variety of suitable reps however a simple wooden frame with glass sliding doors would not be expensive, would look awesome and with a bottom suitable for that sheer volume of water then you want to use it properly. A water dragon, sailfin or basilisk would look the nuts in this. As you said you can have a few small fish at the bottom and they love swimming so would enjoy every minute of it.

In my eyes a waterless setup would be a waste of what you've got! Build the frame, go on, I dare you!
Ok I hear you I will give it some thought tomorrow..

If I were go this route can you advise of what equipment I need where best to place heat lamps etc.

Tags
new setup