Black mites around bearded dragons eyes :( - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 04-01-2013, 12:15 AM
Hatchling
Question Black mites around bearded dragons eyes :(

Hi I recently bought my first bearded dragon 3 days ago, he's a one year old red male, he settled in really well, eating all his food and defecating regularly. The day after we got him home we noticed he had bits in his eyes, it looked like dead skin for a previous shed around the crest of his eye or sand or something? We know he had recently been sold to somebody else but had been put in with another male, mine ended up biting the other ones toes off oops.

On his second day I gave him a bath in the evening to try and unlodge the dead skin plus I've read they enjoy their baths, he swam around and seemed to flick water in his eyes with his feet so all seemed well. I've since given him 3 baths in total to try and get it out of his eyes but tonight I saw black things moving around, I managed to get a couple of then out and they look like black mites? They are only around his eyes on the top. They look quite big now so not sure if he has had them since we got him but we didn't see them because the were small or if he has caught them in our care? I really don't know what to do, he keeps closing one eye every now and then and then closing the other any advice would be much appreciated thankyou.
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 01:13 AM
Super Regular

Pictures of the eye and any of mites would be helpful in working out what they are
Old 04-01-2013, 01:13 AM
5 Star Member

Black bugs are usually mites. You need to soak the beardy and use cotton buds to get them off (focusing on the eyes, armpits and folds of the beard). You can get mite-off or I hear a diluted betadine bath is also good for getting rid of mites.

As well as bathing you need to tackle the enclosure otherwise they'll keep coming back. They hide on decor, substrate and any nooks and crannies in the tank. You can soak all of this in a betadine bath too or a diluted bleach solution. You may have to do this a number of times before you're all clear of them - in this time it's best to use a disposable substrate such as newspaper or kitchen roll
dubs likes this.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Hatchling

Thankyou very much for the replies, I will try and get a photo of it, it's hard tho because the mites are hiding in his eyelid so you can only see bits of them I've ears betadine is good but I can't seem to find it anywhere? Ive been to pet stores and drug stores and no where seems to do it any ideas? Could I buy anything for humans to treat it, might be easier to come by? We are bathing him regularly and trying to get the mites off with a damp cotton bud but it isn't easy around his eyes, he is being so patient with us aswell he really has a great temperament.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:19 PM
5 Star Member

I'm sure you can betadine in pharmacies, that's the only human product that I think would be safe to use. Unfortunately mites can take a fair time to get rid of so you have to be patient but persistent.

In the meantime just use warm water to remove the mites and maybe have a look at buying betadine or mite-off online.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Hatchling

Thankyou I managed to find some at Asda pharmacy I have given him a bath in the solution and tried to get the mites from around his eyes with a cotton bid soaked in the solution, really struggling to get the ones around his eyes as they are buried under the skin fold on the top of his eyes, it looks really painful as he tries to old still for as long as he can but then he flinches and bats my hand away any top tips to get the solution around his eye because the mites seem quite well protected where they are any replies much appreciated thankyou
Old 05-01-2013, 11:04 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to Baldpoodle Send a message via Skype™ to Baldpoodle

Callingtons!!
Spot likes this.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Super Regular

sorry to jump in on your topic but i think i might have a similar problem.. basically my beardie will only sit there with one eye open, even when i get her attention, she can open it and keep it open but its as though it flinches so she closes it again..

i have had a close look at her eye with a magnyfying glass and cant seem to see anything.. i have bathed her eyes with cotton bud for first time tonight..

what was your beardies symptoms?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:59 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldpoodle View Post
Callingtons!!
Weird thing is I've never heard of Callingtons being used for lizards so wasn't sure if they experienced similar problems as hoggies do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb1011 View Post
sorry to jump in on your topic but i think i might have a similar problem.. basically my beardie will only sit there with one eye open, even when i get her attention, she can open it and keep it open but its as though it flinches so she closes it again..

i have had a close look at her eye with a magnyfying glass and cant seem to see anything.. i have bathed her eyes with cotton bud for first time tonight..

what was your beardies symptoms?
Usually you can see mites, they are particularly found around the eyes, armpits and folds (such as the beard). Have a look in these areas and see if you can find any mites. If you can't see any then I doubt this is the problem.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Hatchling

Hey when I bought Phoenix a few days ago he had bits of dead skin left in the crest of his eyes from his last shed I think so I bathed him to try and help get it out, during his second bath a noticed something black crawl out of his eyelid and upon closer inspection saw that it was a mite then I noticed there when more buried deep in the crest, it's really hard to get them out and Phoenix must be in quite abit of pain because he won't even let me go near his eyes anymore, he just starts flinching I've booked him into the vets on Tuesday morning so hopefully they can get rid of the horrible things, thankyou to everyone for you replies and advice I just hope he's ok in the end.

Tags
bearded dragon , bugs , mites