First Snake: Garter, Corn or Python? - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 06-01-2013, 02:41 AM
Premier Member
Reviews: 1

Get a Russian Rat Snake. They're lively and inquisitive, but not bitey. They grow to a reasonable size, without being too huge. They eat for fun and they're very temperature tolerant. They're not expensive, either!

They look better with age as well. Very cool snakes:

samurai likes this.

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

“... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 02:43 AM
5 Star Member
Reviews: 7

When, and if, you get confirmation from the landlord make sure you get it in writing

I've got all three. Corns are typically bombproof as a species. I've had mine 4 years, he has never hissed or bitten, never missed a meal and has always been just perfect.
Garters are good as well, however I've found them a little nervy as youngsters and mine regularly musks all over me. But he favours my mum over me, he's never liked me
Royals are brilliant, I love all of mine, and they seem to go against normal royal behaviour, always bounding around, very active and inquisitive. But the feeding routines I've nearly throttled half of mine because they just decide they don't want to eat for 3 months or something stupid like that. For a new owner that can be concerning, my first royal was my second snake, and after having a corn thats a dustbin, I nearly went insane when my royal had her first fast!

They're all great species, and if you can accept that they wont eat for no reason then royals are fine too. Do your research and you'll be fine with any of those species
Old 06-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Egg

Jeffers: Oh man, that's a gorgeous rat snake you've got there, think I'll have to keep that in mind for my second one :p

Cloggers: That's interesting to hear about garter snakes being more nervy when young, I have heard they're more active so I guess it might make sense. I can see why the lack of feeding on royals would freak someone out though, not sure how well I'd cope with that if it was my first snake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via Yahoo to powerpuffruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsquid View Post
Jeffers: Oh man, that's a gorgeous rat snake you've got there, think I'll have to keep that in mind for my second one :p

Cloggers: That's interesting to hear about garter snakes being more nervy when young, I have heard they're more active so I guess it might make sense. I can see why the lack of feeding on royals would freak someone out though, not sure how well I'd cope with that if it was my first snake

Another thing with Garters is they like their water so if you go for a garter you'll need a viv large enough to have a largish water container I saw some recently in an semi aquatic set up and they were floating round on bits of wood using their tails as oars hilarious

I think you can also keep garters in small groups but don't quote me on that I'm no expert but I'm sure people on here could advise.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Ultra Citizen

Garters are faster to get hold of but if you're confident and get in there, there's no problem whatsoever. You may get a bit of musking but I've had that off my small king snakes too!

As for the water/aquatic thing, what you'll find is that in the wild garters are often found by areas of water but when kept in captivity they generally need a bowl big enough to soak in but a bone dry substrate to 'live' on to avoid blisters etc similar to other snakes. There are a few exceptions to this, thamnophis melanogaster, scotti and obscurus (these are Mexican localities of garters) being the ones that can be kept more aquatically. However, these species are rarely offered apart from the odd breeder from the continent 'visiting' shows such as Doncaster. They are fun to own though and a bit different (I kept the melanogaster for a while).

The species of garter you'll most likely come across in captivity are the likes of chequereds, plains, red-sideds and sometimes easterns. None of these require a particularly large water area, but do require a dry vivarium.

Hope this helps
Old 09-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by obrowell View Post
Garters are faster to get hold of but if you're confident and get in there, there's no problem whatsoever. You may get a bit of musking but I've had that off my small king snakes too!

As for the water/aquatic thing, what you'll find is that in the wild garters are often found by areas of water but when kept in captivity they generally need a bowl big enough to soak in but a bone dry substrate to 'live' on to avoid blisters etc similar to other snakes. There are a few exceptions to this, thamnophis melanogaster, scotti and obscurus (these are Mexican localities of garters) being the ones that can be kept more aquatically. However, these species are rarely offered apart from the odd breeder from the continent 'visiting' shows such as Doncaster. They are fun to own though and a bit different (I kept the melanogaster for a while).

The species of garter you'll most likely come across in captivity are the likes of chequereds, plains, red-sideds and sometimes easterns. None of these require a particularly large water area, but do require a dry vivarium.

Hope this helps
See I said there'd be someone who knew about garters along soon Do people keep them in groups? I've never had garters.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Ultra Citizen

Yes you can with no problems as long as you consider a few basics:
1. Generally keep the same sexes together unless mating is intended (by doing this you can keep a mixture of garters species communally thus making a great visual and colourful display)
2. The snakes are of similar size.
3. At feeding times preferably split them as they are really voracious feeders or at least monitor them carefully to ensure food fights do not occur!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by obrowell View Post
Yes you can with no problems as long as you consider a few basics:
1. Generally keep the same sexes together unless mating is intended (by doing this you can keep a mixture of garters species communally thus making a great visual and colourful display)
2. The snakes are of similar size.
3. At feeding times preferably split them as they are really voracious feeders or at least monitor them carefully to ensure food fights do not occur!
Cool I do like garters some stunning types out there
Old 29-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Super Citizen

I would personally go for a corn snake, very easy to look after and 90 percent of the time easy to handle feed etc, where with a royal for instance they can be fussy with feeding etc, cant comment on garters as never owned one.
Old 29-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Gold Star Member

I would personally suggest a dwarf boa, they're hardy, don't have feeding issues, don't require massive housing, they're hardy, the only down side is they can be a little hissy as babies

Tags
advice & help , first snake questions , snakes