Thinking of getting a lizard! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 06-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Regular
Default Thinking of getting a lizard!

Hey guys, thanks for checking out the thread and could use some honest advice. I have been looking into picking up a reptile pet, after some research the best beginner reptiles seem to be Leopard Gecko's and Bearded Dragons. Im leaning more toward the smaller Gecko currently as im going for this [Exo Terra All Glass Terrarium, 45x45x45cm] as its housing. Do these seem like sensible choices? What expense will I be seeing through feeding and other extras over time? Any pieces of advice you could offer? I want to have a happy healthy pet, so any advice will be taken onboard! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Hatchling

a leo would be the best option if you are looking for somthing to put in a smaller exo terra mainly because a bearded dragon needs much more space etc, leos are realy easy to keep, you will need a heat mat, thermostat etc and make sure you have plent of space for the little guy to hide including a moist hide
leos are not expensive to keep due to there needs being fairly basic
the best thing i could sudgest is to do youre research before you go out and buy one, there are loads of care sheets floating around on the web

hope this helps
Old 06-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Regular

Thanks. I want to put alot of thought into this. Seem's the Geko is the perfect match so far, do they enjoy alot of variety in their areas? As I would like a fairly eye-pleasing environment but wouldnt want to make it uncomfortable. Also would dim-coloured lights, like a dim-green to give some glow at night be harmful (not heat related)?

Last edited by philzo; 06-01-2013 at 09:04 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Super Citizen

You're best getting a wooden viv if you want a Leopard Gecko. Glass just won't retain the heat. You'll find the wood vivs cheaper than the glass one as well. Check out Vivexotic Viva and Monkfield Terranium. Both ideal for the Leopard gecko

Edit: also you won't need to use any kind of light for your gecko. It will get all the light it needs from the daylight that comes through your windows. Even though it won't come out until the evening or night
The Fish Bowl LTD likes this.

Last edited by iwantacrestie; 06-01-2013 at 10:13 AM..
Old 06-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantacrestie View Post
You're best getting a wooden viv if you want a Leopard Gecko. Glass just won't retain the heat. You'll find the wood vivs cheaper than the glass one as well. Check out Vivexotic Viva and Monkfield Terranium. Both ideal for the Leopard gecko

Edit: also you won't need to use any kind of light for your gecko. It will get all the light it needs from the daylight that comes through your windows. Even though it won't come out until the evening or night
^^^^^ agreed^^^^^

if you want a few ideas for a setup have a look in the habitat section you should be able to pick up a few tips and pointers
Old 06-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Hatchling

you could always look at getting a crested gecko they are also verry easy to look after and they are pretty awesome
Old 06-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Egg

and you will need your thermometers at both ends of the viv sorry to point out the obvious and a tile or news paper substrate and you will need calcium and vitamin power but leos are easy to care for just as long as the set up is correct there easy and you can have lots of fun decorating its enclosure .
georgie
iggy2011 likes this.

thefishbowlltd.com
Old 06-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Regular

So a wooden one would be much superior? I can get the 45x45x45 for a good price, around £30 with the nice background feature. But will this be totally counter productive then? As far as size go and glass, would this be better for a crested geko? Thanks.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by philzo View Post
So a wooden one would be much superior? I can get the 45x45x45 for a good price, around £30 with the nice background feature. But will this be totally counter productive then? As far as size go and glass, would this be better for a crested geko? Thanks.
Will be going for a wooden viv now, as I do like in cold belfast. Glass wouldnt suit haha. See the advice is sinking in!
Old 06-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by philzo View Post

a glass exo terra would be better for a crested gecko just remember that crested geckos need a higher viv due to them being arboreal (dont know if i have spelt that right) if it is a leo that you are after then a wooden viv would be far better because the keep the heat in alot better have a look at vivexotic vivs they are pretty cheap and great quality hope this helps