Am I picking the rght lizard for my vivarium - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 07-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Hatchling
Talking Am I picking the rght lizard for my vivarium

Hi everyone although this is my first post here I've been on and off these forums for ages for advice, just never created an account :p

I'm not new to owning reptiles (me and my dad kept bearded dragons for a large number of years when I was growing up but this will be my first lizard to care for purely on my own).

I've been given a glass vivarium (can't remember whether it's exo terra or zoomed) but its 30x30x45cm. It came from a friend who bought it thinking she would get a reptile but never did, so its come to me.

So, I'd like to keep some sort of lizard in it (definitely lizard or frog anyway, no inverts please). I would love a crested gecko but I know it would only be suitable for it whilst it is a juvenile - I have an 80L fish tank with the lid converted for lights that it could be moved to when it grows - would this be suitable and if so, how quickly would I have to move it?

If that is a no go, would Phelsuma Laticauda be happy for its whole life in the 30x30x45? (are any other Phelsuma species suitable?), exo terra says so on its website but I've read conflicting advice on care sheets?

And finally, would P.laticauda be able to eat something like Repashy or is it purely a fresh fruit/veg and insects kinda lizard? And do they enjoy being handled? I am used to having beardies sat on my shoulder/lap/sofa watching tv with me a couple of times a day so I'd like something I can handle

Oh and if I'm on completely the wrong wavelength and these aren't good choices, what's your suggestion of a suitable lizard?

Thanks so much for reading (and for your help!)
~Sammie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Postaholic Member
Reviews: 7
Send a message via MSN to Ophexis

Unfortunately most phelsuma species have extremely delicate skin that doesn't do well with a lot of handling - for this reason, most keepers prefer to suggest them as display lizards.
With regards to moving a crestie into the bigger tank, this would depend on how quickly it grows - but typically after about 8 months old you'd be looking to move it

30 x 30 x 45cm is an awkward size for handleable critters... someone may be able to suggest one to you but off the top of my head, I can't think of one! But although not handleable, may I suggest electric blue day geckos (lygodactylus williamsi)? They are brilliant little geckos, very vibrant and chock-full of character. A pair would make amazing display lizards and are always on the go during the day. I have a male and I can watch him for hours on end! They can also grow bold enough to let you hand feed them and sit on your fingers
Spot likes this.

0.1.0 H. Caudicinctus - "Panya"
0.1.0 R. Auriculatus "Lotus"
1.1.0 F. Catus - "Dudley" and "Kitten"
1.1.0 C. lupus familiaris - "Jazzy" and "Gizmo"

Sleep well Toby, you will always be my special boy 15/08/2010, 5:15pm
Old 07-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Super Citizen

A crestie would be the ultimate rep to go in that exo but yeah as you said you might need a bigger one when its older.

I breed cresties and my alduts are in a 45x45x60 but when they were growing up i housed them in a 30x30x45 exo or similiar sized RUB lol

if your feeling adventurus you could convert it slightly to keep dendrobates in there or salamander. whatever to your liking really lol

Phelsuma grandis i wouldnt recommend in that size terra it really needs to be a lot taller imo - and they are more of a display only species very delicate skin so wouldnt handle much

P. laticauda - not really my forte, so someone else will help with that lol

If you need any more help just holla - grill me with anything crestie related lol

in regards to handling - there arent many species you could handle for that size exo like you did your beardies lol i handle my cresties every now and again about 5 - 10 mins a day maybe every two days

Mike

0.0.1 Aru X Manokwari GTP (M.Viridis)
1.0.0 'Pisky-Be' Panther Chameleon (Nosy-be X Ampiskiana)
1.2.0 Satanic Leaf tailed Gecko (U.Phantasticus)
1.1.0 Henkels Leaf tailed Gecko (U.Henkeli)
2.5.0 Crested Gecko (R.Ciliatus)
1.0.0 Corn Snake -

Last edited by RhacodactyBoy; 07-01-2013 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: spelling mistakes lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Super Citizen

Mourning Gecko? Let it clone itself once or twice and you're sorted lol
Old 07-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Super Regular

Mourning geckos, any of the smaller dart frogs or smaller day geckos, pygmy chameleons (harder to keep in my experience though)
Old 07-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Super Citizen

Some Thumbnail dart frogs could go in it. Harder to keep but with enough research and preparation, they shouldn't be a problem
Old 07-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Hatchling

mRoberts - what do you feed your cresties? Would you ever consider raising one purely on something like Repashy and fruit? Or do they need a consistent supply of insects? (My flatmate is a little squeamish about live food - we've agreed that it wouldn't be an issue as they'd be kept in my room but just another consideration.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I'll be looking into all your suggestions!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:03 AM
Postaholic Member
Reviews: 7
Send a message via MSN to Ophexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieJane View Post
mRoberts - what do you feed your cresties? Would you ever consider raising one purely on something like Repashy and fruit? Or do they need a consistent supply of insects? (My flatmate is a little squeamish about live food - we've agreed that it wouldn't be an issue as they'd be kept in my room but just another consideration.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I'll be looking into all your suggestions!
With the new version of Repashy it does claim to contain more substantial amounts of protein necessary for growth in the diet... people sticking with just Repashy and leaving out insects tended to notice that their cresties grew slower than those with a varied diet.
Personally when I had my crestie, I liked to include Repashy AND live food, if only to stimulate my little guy to be active and hunt. He was not an avid eater and insects occasionally kicked him into gear!

0.1.0 H. Caudicinctus - "Panya"
0.1.0 R. Auriculatus "Lotus"
1.1.0 F. Catus - "Dudley" and "Kitten"
1.1.0 C. lupus familiaris - "Jazzy" and "Gizmo"

Sleep well Toby, you will always be my special boy 15/08/2010, 5:15pm
Old 08-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieJane View Post

i feed my cresties repashys - i would never consider making my own food or feeding them anything else - you can never be able to put all the required nutrients and supplements into your own food mix.

Repashy is by far teh best gcd out there and includes everything they need to grow properly

I would also vary there diet and feed them live food be it crickets or locusts (small-medium) dusted with nutrobal

My feeding schedule - my cresties have repashys available to them 24/7 and i feed them a variety of live food every couple of days. I like to stimulate them and give them some variety and its good for there development

anything else let me know

0.0.1 Aru X Manokwari GTP (M.Viridis)
1.0.0 'Pisky-Be' Panther Chameleon (Nosy-be X Ampiskiana)
1.2.0 Satanic Leaf tailed Gecko (U.Phantasticus)
1.1.0 Henkels Leaf tailed Gecko (U.Henkeli)
2.5.0 Crested Gecko (R.Ciliatus)
1.0.0 Corn Snake -
Old 08-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Hatchling

Thanks so much everyone, I bobbed over to pets at home (won't be buying from there, but the nearest place to me) and have my heart set on a Crested Gecko

mRoberts - I'm looking at substrates for the gecko tank - what would you recommend? I'd love something fairly easy to clean but still natural looking - do you know if repti cage carpet is any good? There seems to be a huge wealth of substrates (and combinations thereof!) and as I'm new to all of this (we just used sand for the beardies) I am utterly and thoroughly confused!

I've also read conflicting things about a crestie's need for UV - would you recommend a UV bulb or not? If i don't need one then I'd prefer not to buy one, but if it'll be in any way helpful then it'll be on my list. Also, would I be ok just buying either a heat mat or bulb or do they need both?

Thanks so much,
~Sammie

Tags
gecko small viv phelsuma