A little concerned about Luke, my son's bearded dragon - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 09-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Egg
Unhappy A little concerned about Luke, my son's bearded dragon

Hi all. My son has 2 bearded dragons, Luke & Leia They are coming up to 3 months old. Leia is the biggest, shedding well, eating & pooing lots! Luke is the quiter one, prefers being in the cave, eats less & is half the size of Leia. They both eat crickets (no bigger than the gap between their eyes) & have fresh fruit & veg. Luke is my concern as he doesn't eat half as much as Leia & is alot smaller than Leia. Any comments & suggestions would be appreciated. I have read several different forums on this & just want to do the best for him
Lou.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lounallan View Post
Hi all. My son has 2 bearded dragons, Luke & Leia They are coming up to 3 months old. Leia is the biggest, shedding well, eating & pooing lots! Luke is the quiter one, prefers being in the cave, eats less & is half the size of Leia. They both eat crickets (no bigger than the gap between their eyes) & have fresh fruit & veg. Luke is my concern as he doesn't eat half as much as Leia & is alot smaller than Leia. Any comments & suggestions would be appreciated. I have read several different forums on this & just want to do the best for him
Lou.
Are they in the same viv,if so split them up
Old 09-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Egg

They are in same viv & its only the last week he's been like this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
More than likely getting bullied by the bigger female.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Beardies should never be housed together. They might seem happy but they are solitary animals, one will always end up being dominant (even if not in a physically aggressive way) resulting in the other not being so happy, not getting food, not getting the good basking spots, having the other lay on top of them etc.

Your best option is either buy another viv or find a new home for one of them.
x_Living_Dead_Girl_x and Spot like this.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:26 PM
5 Star Member

Agree with the above to be honest. The reason for his small size and his shyness is likely due to the other dragon. Beardies don't have to physically fight to be intimidating and dominant; it could be as much as a look, a posture or one lying on top of the other. It sounds like the smaller one has been intimidated so much that he's afraid to bask, expose himself to the UV, get the food he requires etc.

The stress that he is suffering through atm is likely to cause him to become ill a lot quicker and more severely too. It really is best for both dragons if you split them up. Also, are you positive on the sexes?

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 09-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Super Regular

Yeah, sorry - have to agree with what's been said. You're going to need to split them up.

You were mis-sold your dragons in the first place - they don't need 'friends', - in the wild they only get together to mate. Reptile behaviour is different to that of mammals - you might be seeing what looks like 'cuddling' - but it's not, it's dominating, and even if he's unhurt by the bigger one, Luke is going to be very unhappy, stressed (which makes him susceptible to illness), suffering from malnutrition and a lack of necessary UV.

I'm afraid it's a choice between the outlay for an extra set-up, or one of them has to be re-homed.
powerpuffruth likes this.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:38 PM
5 Star Member

Just to reiterate Luke is clearly being dominated and is not getting the nourishment he needs, either from food, heat or uv. He is in the most vital stage of growth in his life and living like this will create major issues for him down the line. He will be weak, highly stressed and therefore highly susceptible to infection and/or illness, parasites, etc and will struggle to fight against any possible health problems. Unfortunately they need to be separated in order for him to get the best chance in life. It's no fault of your own but leaving him this way will no doubt result in health problems and high vet bills.

Hope you can sort another viv so you can keep them both!
Spot likes this.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via Yahoo to powerpuffruth

Yup get another viv for 2 happeee beardies

Tags
bearded dragon