Beardie runny poo - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 11-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Super Regular
Default Beardie runny poo

So, my baby beardie (4 months) has been having diarrhea lately. It started about 2 days ago when his poo was a bit runny, but today it was pure water. It smelled as horrible as it usually does. Anyway, he had a fecal done about a month ago and it was clean.
He eats like a pig and grows steadily. I weight him every second day and he's been putting on weight. So there is no weight or appetite loss. He doesn't seem unwell. To be honest, he seems usual. He is alert and goes for a run from time to time. He eats crickets, locusts and dubias.
I'm not sure what could have cased that. If it doesn't stop by monday, I'll send his poo again. But as for now, I would really appreciate some advice/ideas. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Super Regular

Are you feeding greens? If so, what is he eating?
2.0.0 Agalychnis callidryas 1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus 0.0.2 Juvy Ambystoma tigrinum 0.0.1 Melanophryniscus stelzneri 1.2.0 Mantella aurantiaca 1.0.0 Tiliqua scincoides 1.0.0 Lampropeltis getula nigrita 0.0.1 Rana livida 20+ Peruphasma schultei 10+ Extatasoma tiaratum 4 Rabbits Several aquariums
Old 11-01-2013, 12:28 AM
Super Regular

he usually has spring greens and some fruit/veg, but I've never seen him eating them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Super Regular

Hard to say then.

Someone on here will know
2.0.0 Agalychnis callidryas 1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus 0.0.2 Juvy Ambystoma tigrinum 0.0.1 Melanophryniscus stelzneri 1.2.0 Mantella aurantiaca 1.0.0 Tiliqua scincoides 1.0.0 Lampropeltis getula nigrita 0.0.1 Rana livida 20+ Peruphasma schultei 10+ Extatasoma tiaratum 4 Rabbits Several aquariums
Old 11-01-2013, 10:52 PM
5 Star Member

It can point towards parasites but usually (especially as he's been checked) is down to diet, usually veg/fruit in particular. What fruit do you offer? and how refularly? The tip is usually to remove a veg one at a time from his diet until you pinpoint the one causing the issue, however this may not be the case seeing as you say he doesn't eat it! Is there any changes to his diet at all? Has he always had the livefood you offer or has 1 been introduced recently? Maybe a more detailed explanation of his daily diet will help.

He could just be extremely hydrated I guess, I don't know what else to think other than diet or parasites. No help really am I!

Old 11-01-2013, 11:01 PM
5 Star Member

Do you bathe him?

Also more details of the faecal test could help - if it was done at a vets I would ask what they actually tested for. Also how many poo samples did you collect? Usually you pool 3 consecutive faecal samples as many parasites shed intermittently, so you get false negatives and sometimes false positives.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 13-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcannon View Post
It can point towards parasites but usually (especially as he's been checked) is down to diet, usually veg/fruit in particular. What fruit do you offer? and how refularly? The tip is usually to remove a veg one at a time from his diet until you pinpoint the one causing the issue, however this may not be the case seeing as you say he doesn't eat it! Is there any changes to his diet at all? Has he always had the livefood you offer or has 1 been introduced recently? Maybe a more detailed explanation of his daily diet will help.

He could just be extremely hydrated I guess, I don't know what else to think other than diet or parasites. No help really am I!
I leave spring greens daily and sometimes apples, carrots, grapes. But as I said, never seen him eating any of it. I tried mixing worms in, adding baby food - nothing gets him to eat his salad.
He's always been eating livefood. He eats about 30 bugs a day, i would say. Crix in the morning, locusts in the afternoon plus I usually leave either dubias or calciworms in a wee tub for him. I usually give him a silkworm a day, but not since this watery poo business started.
I had a new batch of locusts though.. uhm a couple of days before it started. But my baby veiled eats the same locusts, and he's been fine.

His poo is looking better today, it's not fully solid though. And it's been quite a lot of water coming out with it recently.

He keeps putting on weight nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgorst View Post
Do you bathe him?

Also more details of the faecal test could help - if it was done at a vets I would ask what they actually tested for. Also how many poo samples did you collect? Usually you pool 3 consecutive faecal samples as many parasites shed intermittently, so you get false negatives and sometimes false positives.
Yeah I bath him once a week, He absolutely hates it though. And that liquid poo business started since the last bath.
I didn't ask what they tested for, but I suppose coccidia and pinworms. I think I'll send another fecal on Monday just in case
Old 13-01-2013, 10:46 AM
5 Star Member

He could just be over hydrated. Can we have a picture of him? Once we've seen the picture and clarified (hopefully) that he is hydrated then try leaving off the baths. Assess his next few poos and see how they are, might just need to cut down on the baths.

Old 16-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Super Regular

I think I have an idea.
The fecal came back clean, but the vet said there were pieces of undigested food and it's due to the temp being too low. His basking temp were 104-110F!
I've been off for 2 days now and I had a chance to watch him, I think might I know whats the problem!
This runny poo business started since I got a new thermostat. His basking temp used to be around 95-97F and he was fine. Since the new thermostat and the rise in his basking temp he doesn't sit directly under the lamp anymore. He sits on the side of the platform where he probably doesn't get enough heat. He is always gaping when trying to bask.
I've decreased the temperature to 95.. will see how it goes

being weighting him every day now, he keeps putting on weight

I can't take a picture at the moment, my phone is being repaired. Only have pics from 10 days ago
Old 16-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Egg
My beardie gapes when he is basking, this indicates that he is getting enough heat as beardies open their mouths wide as a way of cooling down.

Shaun my beardie, often has watery poo but he has always been healthy. Is there any white stuff in his poo?

Tags
bearded dragon runny poo