Leo gecko owners please help - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 11-01-2013, 12:56 AM
Regular
Question Leo gecko owners please help

iv just finished making my vivarium getting it all ready for my gecko which ill be getting at the end of the month.
Iv been doing a lot or research on leopard gecko's and about the vivarium set up's, any way im still struggling everything im reading im like ah yes I see... then I read something else and I just cant understand its been like it for the past few months haha. I cant understand how 1. the heat mat works do I need a mat stat for this? I just thought it goes on and I use the digital thermometer yea I think this is the only thing im struggling with the rest I have worked out whats what its generally the heat mat and should I get a red heat light and if so were does this go above the heat mat... iv been to a few reptile shops and when looking at the gecko viv not all of them have these mat stats? im just a little confused and its frustrating lol so please all help is very much appreciated thank you all xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 01:18 AM
Super Citizen

I advocate the use of mat stats, 100%. I use a mat and stat for my leo's and ive never had a problem. I live in a warm apartment too. If you live in a colder house i would recommend something to boost the ambient temps up.

Important note - Anything you use to heat reptile houses needs a thermostat!!

Old 11-01-2013, 01:27 AM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

It can be confusing - listening to all different advice, dealing with all new equipment etc. But once you understand the principals it becomes a lot clearer. Basically, for a Leopard gecko, you need heat on the floor of the viv. This is usually provided by a heatmat which covers about a third to half the floor area. This allows for a cooler side as well so that they can thermoregulate - that is - position themselves at the temperature they need to control their metabolism.

So - heatmats - place it on the floor of the viv. If you have a wooden viv it goes inside the viv, with glass vivs (not the best choice for Leos IMO for many reasons) then underneath the viv. The mat MUST be attached to a thermostat. Just the cheap mini-stats are fine. You do not want a dimmer stat - these are for bulbs. The thermostat probe is placed over the heatmat. You then also need a thermometer - digital are far and away the best. Place the probe to this also above the heatmat - usually next to the stat probe. Then what you do is adjust the thermostat until your thermometer tells you that you have the right temperature on the floor. I aim for 92-94F - this is higher than some older books / caresheets will state, but after many years of keeping many Leos I find this is best. Don't worry too much about the air temperature - normal room temperature is fine. You should not normally need a heat lamp. I hope this helps. Once you have all your kit (heatmat, sat and thermometer) it becomes a bit more straightforward.

If you go to the lizard section there are very good guides to setting up a Leo viv. http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...ard-gecko.html
Gratenkutzombie likes this.

Eublepharis macularius 7.18
Timon lepidus 2.1
Lygodactylus williamsi 4.0
Teratoscincus roborowski 1.0
Phelsuma grandis 2.2
Bellatorias frerei 1.2
Pogona vitticeps 1.0

Last edited by jools; 11-01-2013 at 01:35 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 02:08 AM
Regular

thank you so much I actually get it now lol I didn't no the thermostat had prob's this is what was confusing me I couldn't work out how it worked with the heat mat etc.. but I understand now once its all set up defo be a lot happier as right now all iv done is build the wooden viv just need to put my glass doors on and im hoping to get the heat mat and im gong to use lino flooring and get that down tomorrow then id be happier lol it is very unclear im new to the reptile world so really confused I don't no anyone that has leo's my partners friend has snakes and a tarantula and has had beardy dragon's but no gecko and I believe he is now getting a chameleon lol. you have help me so much very grateful a guy on here help with making my viv yesterday went out today got the stuff and that's almost finished so im really excited about getting it . this site is amazing!! very helpful thanks guys xx