FloGirl wants a snake - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 13-01-2013, 05:53 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayvan View Post
If it's a royal you want, then get one they're not hard to feed if you give them security and accept that they naturally fast for some periods of the year or at certain life stages.
Agree with this, don't let anything put you off. Sure they can be bad feeders but at the same time they can be excellent feeders.

As above said give them the security they need - make sure they have a few places to hide and cover to move between each side of the tank, mine has a hide on each side and a log in the middle which he can climb under/around the back and basically go between his water bowl and both hides and barely be seen if he wanted too and he hasn't refused a single meal since I've owned him.

Fascinating snakes too come in an amazing selection of morphs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Hatchling

Thanks everyone, FloGirl does appreciate your comments. FloGirl was also considering a Boa but she knows these get bigger. Are these also ok for a new snake owner??
Old 13-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloGirl View Post
Thanks everyone, FloGirl does appreciate your comments. FloGirl was also considering a Boa but she knows these get bigger. Are these also ok for a new snake owner??
The care for a common boa (BCI) is very similar to royals, you just need to be confident with handling larger snakes if you're considering that. I have known a few people to go with retics or burmeses as their first snake so it's perfectly fine as long as you're sure about it and ready to handle a bigger snake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-01-2013, 05:01 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

Sharpstrain is going to suggest a male common boa - Sharstrain says they are wonderful snakes and dont grow to huge proportions. Sharpstrain recommends these above royals or corns every time.
Old 13-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

Quote:
I have all 3 of the snakes you are considering. Feel free to message me with any questions.
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Old 13-01-2013, 06:10 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
They can be, it depends on the owner. I'd love one and while I have a fair few years experience and have cared for one at college, I'm really small and light, so I don't feel comfortable putting the other people in my house in a position where they may or may not need to help me if I ever get bitten or take my eye off the ball. I am considering dwarfs though, so that may also be something you'd be interested in? On top of the other things I tend to have my snakes in as large an enclosure as possible, I'm already beginning to get a bit uncomfortable having my CB12 royals in 3ft vivs, and I know theres a large possibility they will spend their adult lives in 5-6ft ones.....to feel comfortable owning a bcc i'd have to buy a new house so new owners need to look at the type of housing that is available and what they are comfortable using

DEED NOT BREED! SAY NO TO BSL!

The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world, but it WILL change the world for that one animal.
Old 13-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Hatchling

So FloGirl has today borrowed her dads tape measure and has realised she only has 51 inches of space to put her vivarium, unless she removes her wardrobe which she does not want to do. So FloGirl can have a 4ft viv max which she thinks is no really big enough for a boa.
FloGirl has also been doing research on other snakes and now decided it will be between the following snakes
Royal Python
Milk Snake
Corn snake
Or a small boa
FloGirl would like them all but realises she can't, she want a bedroom with a snake in the corner, not a snake room with a bed in the corner. So now she will need to think long and hard which one she likes the most.
Old 13-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Super Regular

here are some good ones:

corn snake: 80-150cm

kingsnake: 120cm

milksnake: 50-120cm

house snak:110cm

garter snake: 60-120cm

childerens snake (verry nice) :75-100cm

royal python male: about 100cm..female about : 200cm
Old 13-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLD BLOODED THINGS RULE View Post
here are some good ones:

corn snake: 80-150cm

kingsnake: 120cm

milksnake: 50-120cm

house snak:110cm

garter snake: 60-120cm

childerens snake (verry nice) :75-100cm

royal python male: about 100cm..female about : 200cm
What are they supposed to be? Snake sizes or enclosure sizes? 200cm for a female royal seems like neither to me?
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Old 13-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
So FloGirl has today borrowed her dads tape measure and has realised she only has 51 inches of space to put her vivarium, unless she removes her wardrobe which she does not want to do. So FloGirl can have a 4ft viv max which she thinks is no really big enough for a boa.
FloGirl has also been doing research on other snakes and now decided it will be between the following snakes
Royal Python
Milk Snake
Corn snake
Or a small boa
FloGirl would like them all but realises she can't, she want a bedroom with a snake in the corner, not a snake room with a bed in the corner. So now she will need to think long and hard which one she likes the most.
A hogg island boa would be perfectly happy in a 4x2x2, to be honest even a male common boa would be happy in a 4x2x2 (though a female would need 5x2x2/6x2x2)