FloGirl wants a snake - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice


  #21 (permalink)  
Old 13-01-2013, 09:21 PM
medusa0373's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Somerset
Posts: 2,462
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Gotta say though, it is slightly weird and a bit unsettling to read posts from someone referring to themselves in the third person all the time....especially in response to a direct question from someone! Pretty sure Shakespeare probably didn't......

I would second what other people here have said though..

If FloGirl is looking for a snake then she should find something she really likes the look of. There are plenty of eye-catching pictures in the "snake pictures" part of the forum. She should do as much research as she can on that particular beastie and then she should make her decision.

It's no good FloGirl going and buying a corn snake if what she really likes the look of is an Irian Jaya Jaguar Carpet Python or a Western Hognose! From what I can gather most of the readily available snakes should be comfortable in a 4ft viv provided their temps etc can be met.

Best of luck and I hope one day you can say "I" instead of "FloGirl"!!!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 13-01-2013, 11:43 PM
Hatchling
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medusa0373 View Post
Gotta say though, it is slightly weird and a bit unsettling to read posts from someone referring to themselves in the third person all the time....especially in response to a direct question from someone! Pretty sure Shakespeare probably didn't......

I would second what other people here have said though..

If FloGirl is looking for a snake then she should find something she really likes the look of. There are plenty of eye-catching pictures in the "snake pictures" part of the forum. She should do as much research as she can on that particular beastie and then she should make her decision.

It's no good FloGirl going and buying a corn snake if what she really likes the look of is an Irian Jaya Jaguar Carpet Python or a Western Hognose! From what I can gather most of the readily available snakes should be comfortable in a 4ft viv provided their temps etc can be met.

Best of luck and I hope one day you can say "I" instead of "FloGirl"!!!

Thanks, FloGirl will check out some of the pics and see if she likes any enough to add to her list.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2013, 12:02 AM
Thrasops's Avatar
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London, England
Posts: 1,648
Reviews: 6
Default

Hey.

If you are after something easy and hardy but can't decide if the standard Corn snakes and Royal pythons are for you, have a look at these.

Dione's Rat Snake (Elaphe dione) - these are Chinese animals, which are amongst the brightest and best looking in my opinion.













Shown below with a Twin-Spotted Rat Snake (Elaphe bimaculata), a closely related and just as hardy species.




Both Dione's and Twin-Spotted Rat Snakes are every bit as easy to care for as a Corn snake (in fact they are actually even hardier and will tolerate lower temperatures).

Captive bred animals are generally non-defensive so are not likely to bite, they remain nice and small (usually between two or three feet, if that), are active by day so can easily be watched in a terrarium and they are quite curious snakes. In my opinion these are amongst the most beautiful snakes out there.

They are also hearty feeders from the get-go so won't give you any problems in that respect!

Regards,
Francis
Drayvan and mstypical like this.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Gratenkutzombie's Avatar
Super Citizen
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manchester
Posts: 815
Default

Gratenkutzombie is happy you are interested in reptiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloGirl View Post
So FloGirl is new to the site and looking for her first snake but in unsure what she actually wants, so has come to RFUK to ask its lovely members for suggestions.
FloGirl has no experience with snakes so she will want something that is small, easy to look after and something she can actually hold. FloGirl will also need advise on heating, house size and feeding requirements for any suggested snakes.
FloGirl is only 15 and so she only has £10 a week to look after the snake and is unsure if this is even enough? How much does a snake cost to look after?

FloGirl looks forward to any suggestions and advice you have to offer and thanks you in advance..
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Hatchling
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ipswich
Posts: 26
Default

Step 1 of being a general human being:

Preach about people being unique and their own person, and not being like another person, someone they are not.

Step 2 of being a general human being:

Contradict yourself and poke fun at people for following the advice given by step 1, and not allow them to be their own person.

Step 3 of being a general human being:

Act like you're the good person and deny ever being a hypocrite.
Revobuzz likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2013, 02:19 PM
mstypical's Avatar
Premier Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,471
Reviews: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallumK91 View Post
Step 1 of being a general human being:

Preach about people being unique and their own person, and not being like another person, someone they are not.

Step 2 of being a general human being:

Contradict yourself and poke fun at people for following the advice given by step 1, and not allow them to be their own person.

Step 3 of being a general human being:

Act like you're the good person and deny ever being a hypocrite.
tdbexotics and Revobuzz like this.
__________________
I keep my reptiles in vivaria, heated with ceramics. If you need set-up help, and can't find the answer here;
Setting up a vivarium with ceramics - Heating and Humidity
Setting up a terrestrial vivarium with pictures
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2013, 03:22 PM
sharpstrain's Avatar
RFUK Premium Membership
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 16,399
Default

sharpstrain likes FloGirl and wants her to know that many snakes will fit in a 4ft viv (although not all at the same time) Sharptrains ask FloGirl not to dismiss a male common boa or one of the smaller Central American sub species of boa.
Nikkifer, mstypical and tonyb12 like this.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2013, 04:43 PM
tonyb12's Avatar
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In a house.
Posts: 1,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloGirl View Post
So FloGirl is new to the site and looking for her first snake but in unsure what she actually wants, so has come to RFUK to ask its lovely members for suggestions.
FloGirl has no experience with snakes so she will want something that is small, easy to look after and something she can actually hold. FloGirl will also need advise on heating, house size and feeding requirements for any suggested snakes.
FloGirl is only 15 and so she only has £10 a week to look after the snake and is unsure if this is even enough? How much does a snake cost to look after?

FloGirl looks forward to any suggestions and advice you have to offer and thanks you in advance..
As others have recommemded i think a corn or royal would be suitable as a first snake for you, if you read a few caresheets and get there setups you should be fine. Dont rush into buying a snake without research as that is were problems could occur.

Forget what some people have said on here. Most are actually helpful.

Keep us informed and if you need help just ask questions.

Welcome aswel
__________________

1.0 Corn Snake
1.1 Royal Python
1.0 Western Hognose
1.1 Boa Constrictor
0.1 Horsfield Tortoise


Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2013, 05:10 PM
medusa0373's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Somerset
Posts: 2,462
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloGirl View Post
Thanks, FloGirl will check out some of the pics and see if she likes any enough to add to her list.
You're welcome; if you find something you like the look of, you should feel free to ask questions on it, or you could look here for a care sheet and then ask if you have any further questions:

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...e-care-sheets/

I'm sure you'll get the usual people saying "Google" etc but there is 99.99% certain to be someone on here who keeps that particular animal and can help you.

Hope you find something that catches your eye and that you think you can care for with the space/time you have

Last edited by medusa0373; 14-01-2013 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: Added link to care sheet section
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Lord Vetinari's Avatar
Gold Star Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Basingstoke
Posts: 6,059
Default

£10 a week is enough to keep a snake - especially if you don't have to pay for the electricity.

Frozen chicks are a lot cheaper than mice so when the snake is big enough you can vary their diet (a good thing) as well as save yourself some cash.

A male common boa should be ok in a 4x2x2. I have a male that’s 4ft, he's a good feeder but just doesn't seem to grow. But that’s a rarity - you really have to expect them to hit 6ft so he may end up looking a bit squidged in a 4ft viv. Dwarf Boas are smaller, but you may struggle to get one on your budget. I'm not sure though, I'm not too up on the pricing of dwarf boas. Sonoran boas are very pretty though.


Have you considered garter snakes? San Fran garters are nice. You have to feed these a fish based diet with the occasional rodent. This can be a benefit as a) you also get to eat the fish you buy and b) parents are less likely to object to frozen fish in the freezer.

As an aside: I don't give a crap whether you refer to yourself in the third person or first. Your post are intelligible which immediately puts you in a rare enough category.
__________________
All my snakes are for sale - see classifieds
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
W Midlands Wanted list: Black king snake, Milk snake, Sand boa, Garter snake! emi.lou Snake Classifieds 11 12-02-2012 03:33 PM
SW England Corn snake/Milk snake/King snake/Trinket snake -WANTED emmilllyyy Snake Classifieds 5 01-11-2011 08:59 AM
SE England CB11 Corn Snake Morphs.... Adult Male Sinaloan Milk Snake Ailurus Snake Classifieds 8 12-09-2011 12:21 PM
WANTED: Corn snake, or similar small snake in north east england. LauraMartin Snake Classifieds 20 09-08-2010 11:07 AM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:29 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)