Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Newbie Advice (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/newbie-advice/)
-   -   FloGirl wants a snake (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/newbie-advice/927237-flogirl-wants-snake.html)

FloGirl 12-01-2013 08:47 PM

FloGirl wants a snake

So FloGirl is new to the site and looking for her first snake but in unsure what she actually wants, so has come to RFUK to ask its lovely members for suggestions.
FloGirl has no experience with snakes so she will want something that is small, easy to look after and something she can actually hold. FloGirl will also need advise on heating, house size and feeding requirements for any suggested snakes.
FloGirl is only 15 and so she only has £10 a week to look after the snake and is unsure if this is even enough? How much does a snake cost to look after?

FloGirl looks forward to any suggestions and advice you have to offer and thanks you in advance..

mstypical 12-01-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloGirl (Post 10862221)
So FloGirl is new to the site and looking for her first snake but in unsure what she actually wants, so has come to RFUK to ask its lovely members for suggestions.
FloGirl has no experience with snakes so she will want something that is small, easy to look after and something she can actually hold. FloGirl will also need advise on heating, house size and feeding requirements for any suggested snakes.
FloGirl is only 15 and so she only has £10 a week to look after the snake and is unsure if this is even enough? How much does a snake cost to look after?

FloGirl looks forward to any suggestions and advice you have to offer and thanks you in advance..

How much do you have to buy the snake and equipment?

FloGirl 12-01-2013 09:03 PM

Hi mstypical, FloGirl has about £300 that she has saved up

mstypical 12-01-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloGirl (Post 10862297)
Hi mstypical, FloGirl has about £300 that she has saved up

Are you referring to yourself when you say FloGirl? :lol2:

What made you want a snake? The reasons might help people make suggestions.

Purple_D 12-01-2013 09:09 PM

Flogirl needs to do some research then come back with a few questions about species she likes:2thumb:

LarkaDawg 12-01-2013 09:21 PM

:welcome:

Snakes are pretty cheap to take care of, I mean it's only like £1 ish per week to feed a snake. And your parents would be paying the electricity bills.
Lots of people say get a 'beginner' snake, something easy to take care of like a corn snake for example (excellent pets by the way). But in reality its better to get something you like rather than buy an easy pet and get bored of it because its not what you really wanted.

Corn Snake: 3-6ft, 3x2x2 vivarium when adult, lots of pretty colours, readily available and cheap. Very active and like to spend time roaming around their vivarium, easy to handle except they can be a little skittish when babies, and most of them are like living dustbins when it comes to food. Usually pretty tame, and rarely bite, but if you get a biter, it doesn't hurt anyway : victory:

I'm 15 too, and my name is Florence. Are you my secret clone? :gasp: :lol2:

FloGirl 12-01-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purple_D (Post 10862319)
Flogirl needs to do some research then come back with a few questions about species she likes:2thumb:

Ohh, FloGirl will be doing some research but get confused as she has found most websites say different things. FloGirl had wanted a royal python until she read they are hard to feed so is now unsure.
Quote:

Originally Posted by LarkaDawg (Post 10862374)
:welcome:

Snakes are pretty cheap to take care of, I mean it's only like £1 ish per week to feed a snake. And your parents would be paying the electricity bills.
Lots of people say get a 'beginner' snake, something easy to take care of like a corn snake for example (excellent pets by the way). But in reality its better to get something you like rather than buy an easy pet and get bored of it because its not what you really wanted.

Corn Snake: 3-6ft, 3x2x2 vivarium when adult, lots of pretty colours, readily available and cheap. Very active and like to spend time roaming around their vivarium, easy to handle except they can be a little skittish when babies, and most of them are like living dustbins when it comes to food. Usually pretty tame, and rarely bite, but if you get a biter, it doesn't hurt anyway : victory:

I'm 15 too, and my name is Florence. Are you my secret clone? :gasp: :lol2:

Hi flo, FloGirl agrees she should get a snake she really wants, corn snakes are another choice FloGirl was thinking of so she will look at their care.

FloGirl was adopted as a baby and has no idea where she came from so could very likely be a clone from a science experiment :blush:

ziggythecrestie2012 12-01-2013 11:00 PM

Corn snakes are very good snakes to keep. ;)

Drayvan 12-01-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloGirl (Post 10862678)
FloGirl had wanted a royal python until she read they are hard to feed so is now unsure.

If it's a royal you want, then get one :2thumb: they're not hard to feed if you give them security and accept that they naturally fast for some periods of the year or at certain life stages.

mustang100893 12-01-2013 11:32 PM

£300 should be enough for all equipment, not sure on a 3x2x2ft but you can pick up 4ft vivariums for £100 these days if you look hard enough, looking at around another hundred for the rest of the equipment including a thermostat, again if you shop around may find a good deal, although if using a heatmat, mat stats are relatively cheap in comparison to fancy stats with magic eyes and all the non essential gubbins you don't need.
I would personally recommend a corn snake but that's just my opinion as i think they are great, and as stated they are great feeders, placid in most instances, and have great character so would make a good choice. Also if you are looking for a colourful snake then corns are great due to the huge range and availability of morphs on offer with most costing under £100. As in any case and i'm sure you will, get plenty of research done before committing, but i'm sure you will be fine. Hope this helps, please anyone correct me if my info is of no good, don't want to be giving out false advice. :2thumb: