Ceramic heat lamp - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 13-01-2013, 01:55 AM
Hatchling
Default Ceramic heat lamp

Hi guys im in the final stages of setting up my ijj carpet viv and come across something i previously overlooked!
I have a dimmer stat and a 100w bulb for my new arrival in a 4/2/2 wood viv. But being me and not thinking I didn't think about the night time temps and have been advised to get a ceramic bulb so I can maintain my temps over night. Can I use a ceramic with a dimmer stat? I've read that people use pulse stats with them so im abit unsure Or would it be easier for me to get a red bulb? Do 100w red bulbs heat the same as a normal one?

Sorry if these are utterly stupid questions but I keep royals in a rack with heat mats/mat stats and am a total newb to bulbs!

Thanks for reading and any and all advice welcome!

Dan

Sent from my iPhone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-01-2013, 02:20 AM
Ultra Citizen

your ceramic will work ok with a dimmer

1.0 GSD & 1.0 DSH
Old 13-01-2013, 02:20 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python dan View Post
Hi guys im in the final stages of setting up my ijj carpet viv and come across something i previously overlooked!
I have a dimmer stat and a 100w bulb for my new arrival in a 4/2/2 wood viv. But being me and not thinking I didn't think about the night time temps and have been advised to get a ceramic bulb so I can maintain my temps over night. Can I use a ceramic with a dimmer stat? I've read that people use pulse stats with them so im abit unsure Or would it be easier for me to get a red bulb? Do 100w red bulbs heat the same as a normal one?

Sorry if these are utterly stupid questions but I keep royals in a rack with heat mats/mat stats and am a total newb to bulbs!

Thanks for reading and any and all advice welcome!

Dan

Sent from my iPhone
Hi dan

Personally I wouldn't bother with the night time drop, I don't with my carpet unless your trying to breed then I have no idea if dropping temps will help.

I don't see why you couldn't use a ceramic with a dimmer but I've never tried it so couldn't advise, I use a ceramic with a pulse stat.
When you say do red bulbs 'heat the same as a normal one?' If your referring to a normal bulb then yes they do they just don't give off as much light, imagine a dull red torch.

No such thing as stupid questions just stupid people I'm kidding they are not stupid questions.
Also welcome to the carpet python owners club also post some pics up in the snake pictures section when you get a minute, there are guides how to upload photos in the newbie section, also may be worth searching for the carpet python threads also to have a little look at what others have etc

Good luck and hope he/ she settles in quickly

1.0.0 Bredli Jungle Jaguar - CB12 (May) Balthazar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-01-2013, 02:27 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevier View Post
your ceramic will work ok with a dimmer
Thanks mate!

Sent from my iPhone
Old 13-01-2013, 02:41 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakspear View Post
Hi dan

Personally I wouldn't bother with the night time drop, I don't with my carpet unless your trying to breed then I have no idea if dropping temps will help.

I don't see why you couldn't use a ceramic with a dimmer but I've never tried it so couldn't advise, I use a ceramic with a pulse stat.
When you say do red bulbs 'heat the same as a normal one?' If your referring to a normal bulb then yes they do they just don't give off as much light, imagine a dull red torch.

No such thing as stupid questions just stupid people I'm kidding they are not stupid questions.
Also welcome to the carpet python owners club also post some pics up in the snake pictures section when you get a minute, there are guides how to upload photos in the newbie section, also may be worth searching for the carpet python threads also to have a little look at what others have etc

Good luck and hope he/ she settles in quickly
Lolz I agree, just stupid people! Me being a prime example :p I'm picking her up on Tuesday she's a Iran jaya jag. I've also got a female hoggie a male bumble bee royal, female and male wild type royals. Just fancied something a but more lively and less of a house brick this time haha. Ill probably take some pictures Wednesday and get them on in the evenin

It wasn't so much the night time drop I was worried about, it was the fact of leaving a light on all night to maintain the temps and not providing a 12/12 light cycle. A lot of cp owners are using ceramics from what i read and they give off no light. But as a cheap solution for now could I use a red bulb of the same wattage to achieve the same temps?

Thanks for taking the time to reply
Dan

Sent from my iPhone
Old 13-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Lolz I agree, just stupid people! Me being a prime example :p I'm picking her up on Tuesday she's a Iran jaya jag. I've also got a female hoggie a male bumble bee royal, female and male wild type royals. Just fancied something a but more lively and less of a house brick this time haha. Ill probably take some pictures Wednesday and get them on in the evenin

It wasn't so much the night time drop I was worried about, it was the fact of leaving a light on all night to maintain the temps and not providing a 12/12 light cycle. A lot of cp owners are using ceramics from what i read and they give off no light. But as a cheap solution for now could I use a red bulb of the same wattage to achieve the same temps?

Thanks for taking the time to reply
Dan

Sent from my iPhone
Yea that would work mate or you could just use the red spot bulb and get some led lighting?
It's only about £15 from a guy on here does some good stuff so people have said 'reptiles-ink' search that in the advanced search its his username and just scroll through a couple of threads.
I'd use them if I didn't use UVB, I have a Bredli Jungle Jaguar so I'm using the UV to help bring the Bredli colours through

Yea you will definitely see them do more than sit in the same position all day and night

Also they have a very strong feeding response none of this royal fussiness

Personally if I was you what I would do is get the LEDs and get a ceramic on your dimming stat if it works like 'stevier' has mentioned, then you don't have to worry about red tinges to all your photos as you don't have a red spot bulb

Old 13-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakspear View Post
Yea that would work mate or you could just use the red spot bulb and get some led lighting?
It's only about £15 from a guy on here does some good stuff so people have said 'reptiles-ink' search that in the advanced search its his username and just scroll through a couple of threads.
I'd use them if I didn't use UVB, I have a Bredli Jungle Jaguar so I'm using the UV to help bring the Bredli colours through

Yea you will definitely see them do more than sit in the same position all day and night

Also they have a very strong feeding response none of this royal fussiness

Personally if I was you what I would do is get the LEDs and get a ceramic on your dimming stat if it works like 'stevier' has mentioned, then you don't have to worry about red tinges to all your photos as you don't have a red spot bulb

I ordered a 100w ceramic this morning so hopefully the dimmer works well with it. I have a UVB tube also since the viv is second hand and used to house beardies. I was thinking about binning the UVB and popping some LEDs in but I dunno yet. What substrate do you use?

I'm glad to hear that they don't just lay there and have a good feeding response! My royals get abit lively at night but as there in a rack you can't see them much. There nice and alert once out but like you said can be fussy when being fed! Lucky for me I have 3 so the picky one goes first and if he shows no interest one of the others gets a double helping annoyingly my hoggie can be fussy aswell! Do you have any other reptiles?

Dan

Sent from my iPhone
Old 13-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
I ordered a 100w ceramic this morning so hopefully the dimmer works well with it. I have a UVB tube also since the viv is second hand and used to house beardies. I was thinking about binning the UVB and popping some LEDs in but I dunno yet. What substrate do you use?

I'm glad to hear that they don't just lay there and have a good feeding response! My royals get abit lively at night but as there in a rack you can't see them much. There nice and alert once out but like you said can be fussy when being fed! Lucky for me I have 3 so the picky one goes first and if he shows no interest one of the others gets a double helping annoyingly my hoggie can be fussy aswell! Do you have any other reptiles?

Dan

Sent from my iPhone
I expect the dimmer will be fine it will work in a similar way to a bulb just without the light bit
If your thinking about getting UVB not telling you to suck eggs just remember most people's opinions is snakes don't need them as they get everything they need from mice/rats (don't know about chicks though), but regardless of that I needed a light source and its supposed to help the colours of your snake come through as I've said along with the benefits to UVB like they'd get in the wild (my opinion anyway ).

I use auboise as its cheap (I got 20kg for £16.50 I think delivered) it looks like aspen but it doesn't come from rep shops it's horse bedding so less to no chance of mites eggs in the substrate.
Also don't like the look of newspaper or paper towel personally but each to their own.

Don't get me wrong my carpet python is not diurnal but he is always on display, and he doesn't seem bothered by me getting him out regardless of the time, he is more active at night, he likes a good swim but when I put him back in his RUB (it's a customised RUB not one that gets racked) he will be active for a good 20minutes before settling somewhere.
He has a fantastic temperament though and loves climbing

I like your thinking yea that's exactly how I'd play it if I had more than one snake and I had fussy feeders but unfortunately I only have one at the minute still working on the wife
I dread to think how many handbags and shoes it'd cost me to get another carpet

Regards