Where to store live lizard food? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 13-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Hatchling
Send a message via MSN to brisk
Default Where to store live lizard food?

Hey everyone

I really want to get a beardie but the mrs doesn't like crickets and she says she wouldn't want them anywhere inside the house or known to be living with them and I can't talk her round....yet anyway.

If i got a beardie and kept him inside etc, where do you people store your crickets? or what feeding regimes do you do etc?

I know it helps because beardies eat more veggies as they get older.

Thanks for any help

Ed

Last edited by brisk; 13-01-2013 at 08:57 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Hatchling

well, i store my crickets in a cold place so as i come to feed my gecko they jump around alot less etc.

i found when i stored them in a warm place they would jump around all over the place my my gecko would lose interest in catching them #(i resorted to cutting the legs off for this) but it depends warm and a cold place should be alright as long as its dry etc.

hope it helps as im a new lizard owner so i might be keeping them wrong, this is just what i do personally.
Old 13-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Premier Citizen

I'd recommend starting a dubia roach colony instead, they don't smell, they can't climb up the side of a plastic tub so no escapes, they make no noise, really easy to keep and probably the best live food to use for beardies. You can often find people selling set up colonies on here actually in the classified section, they're kept in a dark plastic tub with a heat mat under and just need feeding every now and then and they breed like crazy.

Gives you a really good choice of food size too for your beardie(s) just let the adults do their thing and supply you with 100s of roaches

Quick look on classified and someone is selling one for £30 but you can probably find more too. http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...ny-extras.html
And here's a quick guide http://dubiaroachguide.blogspot.co.u...ch-colony.html

Last edited by Exzhal; 13-01-2013 at 09:27 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Hatchling

Thanks for the quick help so far!
Old 14-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Super Citizen

Crickets are awful, I bought one tub once and never again. My BD wasn't particularly interested and up until a few days ago I was having to remove the damn things from her vivarium, they also had a tendency to nibble on the lizards if left alone.

I would recommend locusts/dubai roaches/morio worms/waxworms (as an occasional treat).

When your BD is a hatchling, you'll need to feed live food three times daily alongside veg once a day, so you will need a good collection. As somebody else said, Dubai roaches are great and they're really easy to breed which can save you some pennies in the long run.

Once they get to about 7-8months you can look at reducing their live feeds to once/maybe twice a day.

Then once they're adult (18 months +) it's a few times a week, although mine does admittingly get a little everyday.

I just keep mine piled up in the 'animal room'. I chuck in a bit of veg a couple of times a week to keep them gutloaded and healthy. Before feeding I dip them in some calcium/or nutrobal and I try to hand feed as much as possible to monitor eating.

They're quite a big commitment in regards to their age, costs of their food/heating, so be 100% before buying one as so many people give them away. It may be best to go through a rescue or get an older beardie as then you wont have to live feed as much? I got a rescue and she's brilliant.
1 Albino Lavender Kingsnake
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Axolotls
1 African Pygmy Hedgehog
"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 14-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzieJo View Post
Crickets are awful, I bought one tub once and never again. My BD wasn't particularly interested and up until a few days ago I was having to remove the damn things from her vivarium, they also had a tendency to nibble on the lizards if left alone.

I would recommend locusts/dubai roaches/morio worms/waxworms (as an occasional treat).

When your BD is a hatchling, you'll need to feed live food three times daily alongside veg once a day, so you will need a good collection. As somebody else said, Dubai roaches are great and they're really easy to breed which can save you some pennies in the long run.

Once they get to about 7-8months you can look at reducing their live feeds to once/maybe twice a day.

Then once they're adult (18 months +) it's a few times a week, although mine does admittingly get a little everyday.

I just keep mine piled up in the 'animal room'. I chuck in a bit of veg a couple of times a week to keep them gutloaded and healthy. Before feeding I dip them in some calcium/or nutrobal and I try to hand feed as much as possible to monitor eating.

They're quite a big commitment in regards to their age, costs of their food/heating, so be 100% before buying one as so many people give them away. It may be best to go through a rescue or get an older beardie as then you wont have to live feed as much? I got a rescue and she's brilliant.
Oh yeah totally, I been pondering getting one for over a year now! Trying to inform myself in the best way possible.

Is it possible to feed them when they are young on worms for their live food? Worms to me seem the easiest! They are probably the least less gross looking and can't jump! But if I'm saying those sorts of things I guess I shouldn't really get one..
Old 14-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisk View Post
Oh yeah totally, I been pondering getting one for over a year now! Trying to inform myself in the best way possible.

Is it possible to feed them when they are young on worms for their live food? Worms to me seem the easiest! They are probably the least less gross looking and can't jump! But if I'm saying those sorts of things I guess I shouldn't really get one..
A far as I know morio and wax worms are to be used as a treat because they're too high in fat to be staple. Honestly go with dubia roaches they're really easy to handle and keep