UVB light for beardie dragon - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 15-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Regular

Oh no I agree I don't want to risk the health of the little guy I think my viv needs to be bigger thou, just a shame iv built this one a bit small so gutted i can't use it lol, no I'm going to look into extending it some how so iv not wasted money making it may make another size as it only cost £27 to make so make another then join the two together and make an arch way for both rooms essentially, does this make sense lol? Like join another viv on the side and then cut a door way (big arch) I could put a picture of the viv up? X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-01-2013, 08:59 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighsuzanne View Post
Oh no I agree I don't want to risk the health of the little guy I think my viv needs to be bigger thou, just a shame iv built this one a bit small so gutted i can't use it lol, no I'm going to look into extending it some how so iv not wasted money making it may make another size as it only cost £27 to make so make another then join the two together and make an arch way for both rooms essentially, does this make sense lol? Like join another viv on the side and then cut a door way (big arch) I could put a picture of the viv up? X
That makes perfect sense and will work fine. You'll have to cut a hole for the uv tube to stretch across too but that won't be an issue. As long as the archway hole is large enough to allow the temps to settle correctly. Otherwise you may end up with a really hot hot side and a really cold cool side. Although I think you'll be ok. Get me?

Old 15-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon1502 View Post
Its hard to know who to trust when you dont know yourself coz we could tell you anything and you would have to believe it.. One thing I will say though, the breeder is trying to sell beardies and make a profit. We have nothing to gain by giving incorrect information. The people of this forum come on here and give (most of the time) good advice for free because of our love for reptiles. It sounds to me that the breeder wants to sell you one before you either change your mind or find another breeder, hence the reason why you have been told a 2ft viv will be fine for a couple of months.. What you are in escence being told is to take one now, it will be 'ok' in a 2ft viv but it will need changing pretty soon. By this time you have already speant £50 on a Uv set up which will need replacing in a couple of months time and potentially cost you another £50 because you will need a bigger starter to deal with the bigger tube and also a bigger reflector.

And when I say a 'couple of months' I actually mean 2 months. After 3 months your beardie will of grown so much that a 2ft viv will physically be too small for him as well as the heating side of things. My opinion - Save money by doing it correctly right from the start and also that should cut out all the risks ill health due to incorrect heating!
Yes I said to my partner maybe she want to just get rid of them which is upsetting to think she would just let it go into an environment that isn't suitable just for profit! That's not on if this us there intentions , however I agree with this it's my first reptile and want to do it properly and have a happy chappy rather then a miserable unhealthy thing because if false information, it is hard when your told one thing and some one days another and in my guy tells me my viv isn't quite big enough aswell I agree with we're your coming from. I really do appriciate all your advice it's extremely helpful and tbh I'd feel awful if I got it knowing it wasn't suitable . Defo going to see what u can do with this viv if I can extend it any way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Or another option would be to build a 4x2x2 for your beardie and also get a gecko for your 2ft viv
tomcannon likes this.
Old 15-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcannon View Post
That makes perfect sense and will work fine. You'll have to cut a hole for the uv tube to stretch across too but that won't be an issue. As long as the archway hole is large enough to allow the temps to settle correctly. Otherwise you may end up with a really hot hot side and a really cold cool side. Although I think you'll be ok. Get me?
Yes see this is the only way I think I can do it without really wasting money and have it lying around lol, yea I was thinking a big arch way a funky think and yea cut a hole or my arch might go up high enough to put the UVB light just running all the way through hmm defo one way of doing it yea I get you :p .
Old 15-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Regular

Quote:
Or another option would be to build a 4x2x2 for your beardie and also get a gecko for your 2ft viv
Haha I said this to my partner but he wasn't so keen on the idea haha he said the gecko seem a little boring and if only come out at night he wouldn't pay much attention to it :0 how mean!!! Lol but I think there adorable just like a big newt haha I'm in love with the dragons xxx
Old 15-01-2013, 09:12 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Yes see this is the only way I think I can do it without really wasting money and have it lying around lol, yea I was thinking a big arch way a funky think and yea cut a hole or my arch might go up high enough to put the UVB light just running all the way through hmm defo one way of doing it yea I get you :p .
That will work for sure however I'd recommend having the uv directly behind the front plinth. As long as the reflector reflects the uv down on to your rep then it doesn't matter where its placed however behind the front plinth it'll be out of your view. Not a big deal but it looks much better when you can't see it!

Old 15-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Yes I said to my partner maybe she want to just get rid of them which is upsetting to think she would just let it go into an environment that isn't suitable just for profit! That's not on if this us there intentions , however I agree with this it's my first reptile and want to do it properly and have a happy chappy rather then a miserable unhealthy thing because if false information, it is hard when your told one thing and some one days another and in my guy tells me my viv isn't quite big enough aswell I agree with we're your coming from. I really do appriciate all your advice it's extremely helpful and tbh I'd feel awful if I got it knowing it wasn't suitable . Defo going to see what u can do with this viv if I can extend it any way
About this ^^

Unfortunately the bearded dragon market in the UK is saturated, pretty much to the point of 'if its not a baby then you cant give them away for free'.

Because of the increase in amature breeders, a lot of incorrect information being given just to get rid of them. The thing about this forum is that each thread is read by maybe 20+ people. If you get given incorrect information by one, you will have a shed load of other people come along and correct it. Just remember that no question is a daft question, and if in doubt give us a shout (lol I just made that up I think)

Anyway sorry for putting a downer on your plans but like I said, we care about the animals walfare so we felt like you needed some better advice
Old 15-01-2013, 09:15 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
About this ^^

Unfortunately the bearded dragon market in the UK is saturated, pretty much to the point of 'if its not a baby then you cant give them away for free'.

Because of the increase in amature breeders, a lot of incorrect information being given just to get rid of them. The thing about this forum is that each thread is read by maybe 20+ people. If you get given incorrect information by one, you will have a shed load of other people come along and correct it. Just remember that no question is a daft question, and if in doubt give us a shout (lol I just made that up I think)

Anyway sorry for putting a downer on your plans but like I said, we care about the animals walfare so we felt like you needed some better advice
Plus we have shares in all 4x2x2's. no, I kid of course!

Old 15-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Regular

Quote:
About this ^^

It's a shame some breeders maybe need to rethink what there doing and concentrate in welfare of the babies rather then the money side and makin profit suppose they think well iv gr my money so what ever happens I guess which is grose it's horrible thinking there are actually people out there like that. Shouldn't be allowed pets.
Ah no worries I'd rather how my plans on a downer for a day then have one unhealthy beardie dragon but hopefully I can sort my viv out so it will work and ill take that little baby dragon on and give it a fab environment and look after it properly an like you said this site is fab for information ad advice had I not have been in here well I'd have one unhappy beardie for a while, it's a great site. Xx