UVB light for beardie dragon - Page 4 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice


  #31 (permalink)  
Old 15-01-2013, 09:30 PM
bluemoon1502's Avatar
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manchester
Posts: 341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighsuzanne View Post
It's a shame some breeders maybe need to rethink what there doing and concentrate in welfare of the babies rather then the money side and makin profit suppose they think well iv gr my money so what ever happens I guess which is grose it's horrible thinking there are actually people out there like that. Shouldn't be allowed pets.
Ah no worries I'd rather how my plans on a downer for a day then have one unhealthy beardie dragon but hopefully I can sort my viv out so it will work and ill take that little baby dragon on and give it a fab environment and look after it properly an like you said this site is fab for information ad advice had I not have been in here well I'd have one unhappy beardie for a while, it's a great site. Xx
Your very welcome, if only more people asked before they got their pet..

I have a feeling your going to make great parents to a young beardie!
ashleighsuzanne likes this.
__________________
Sometimes you dont need a goal in life, or to know the big picture.. You just need to know what your going to do next!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 15-01-2013, 09:34 PM
tomcannon's Avatar
5 Star Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pembs, Wales
Posts: 4,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighsuzanne View Post
It's a shame some breeders maybe need to rethink what there doing and concentrate in welfare of the babies rather then the money side and makin profit suppose they think well iv gr my money so what ever happens I guess which is grose it's horrible thinking there are actually people out there like that. Shouldn't be allowed pets.
Ah no worries I'd rather how my plans on a downer for a day then have one unhealthy beardie dragon but hopefully I can sort my viv out so it will work and ill take that little baby dragon on and give it a fab environment and look after it properly an like you said this site is fab for information ad advice had I not have been in here well I'd have one unhappy beardie for a while, it's a great site. Xx
Unfortunately there are so many BD's that this results in so many bad keepers. BD's are also so easy to breed and also produce many eggs that they are the perfect (how ironic!) breeder rep. With so many poor keepers owning them (usually 2 or more to a viv) this results in gravid beardies which they can make a quick buck from. Unfortunately in most cases breeders of BD's are in my experience poor keepers.

Now let me just state that I am in no way calling any BD breeders on here poor keepers, in all honesty I'm talking more about so called 'breeders' locally to me not on here. Thankfully the only breeders I know of on here are well established and I have no reason to question their husbandry. I am also not stating anyone that keeps pairs or more of BD's in one viv as a bad keeper. I know this can be successfully done with the right BD's and the right keeper.
ashleighsuzanne likes this.
__________________
*FOR SALE* 3 female Rankin Dragons and 6x2x2 fully custom stunning vivarium. Thread available here.

Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 15-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Regular
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Coventry
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcannon View Post
Unfortunately there are so many BD's that this results in so many bad keepers. BD's are also so easy to breed and also produce many eggs that they are the perfect (how ironic!) breeder rep. With so many poor keepers owning them (usually 2 or more to a viv) this results in gravid beardies which they can make a quick buck from. Unfortunately in most cases breeders of BD's are in my experience poor keepers.

Now let me just state that I am in no way calling any BD breeders on here poor keepers, in all honesty I'm talking more about so called 'breeders' locally to me not on here. Thankfully the only breeders I know of on here are well established and I have no reason to question their husbandry. I am also not stating anyone that keeps pairs or more of BD's in one viv as a bad keeper. I know this can be successfully done with the right BD's and the right keeper.
I agree especially after the false information I was given its so worring there might be poor bd in the same situation because certain breeders wish to make a quick profit like you said easy to breed and easy to get money!
Like you said there are breeders in this site that are fab breeders and do everything right and when it comes to selling there babies making sure who there going to has correct viv s and lighting and asking about there viv regarding lighting and giving the people advice about how to feed and such before giving them away, thinking if it when I spoke to my breeder about the lighting and what bulb to get knowing the arcida is the best I said a reptiglo and she just said... "Yes" and that was that nothing else regarding anything lol so no wonder I was posting so many questions I had no idea at all as they never explained anything, so this is what I call a breeder that needs to rethink why she's breeding not just to make money .

Anyway back up my stupidly small my partner has gone over it all and yea he says he can do it but have 2 sheperate doors as we need to leave a support beam were the viv ends because it won't be sturdy I really hope this makes sense as I didn't get it for a little while :p but yes should work, I hope :p tommorow involved me and b&q x
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 15-01-2013, 11:19 PM
bluemoon1502's Avatar
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manchester
Posts: 341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighsuzanne View Post
I agree especially after the false information I was given its so worring there might be poor bd in the same situation because certain breeders wish to make a quick profit like you said easy to breed and easy to get money!
Like you said there are breeders in this site that are fab breeders and do everything right and when it comes to selling there babies making sure who there going to has correct viv s and lighting and asking about there viv regarding lighting and giving the people advice about how to feed and such before giving them away, thinking if it when I spoke to my breeder about the lighting and what bulb to get knowing the arcida is the best I said a reptiglo and she just said... "Yes" and that was that nothing else regarding anything lol so no wonder I was posting so many questions I had no idea at all as they never explained anything, so this is what I call a breeder that needs to rethink why she's breeding not just to make money .

Anyway back up my stupidly small my partner has gone over it all and yea he says he can do it but have 2 sheperate doors as we need to leave a support beam were the viv ends because it won't be sturdy I really hope this makes sense as I didn't get it for a little while :p but yes should work, I hope :p tommorow involved me and b&q x

Lol yeh that makes sense.. Where abouts are you in the UK? If your in the north west I can point you to a good reputable breeder (20yrs experince) and after you have chosen your beardie they spend a good 45mins with you going through the care of it and they also give you a care sheet and phone number to take away incase anything goes wrong or if you have any questions
__________________
Sometimes you dont need a goal in life, or to know the big picture.. You just need to know what your going to do next!
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 15-01-2013, 11:39 PM
Regular
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Coventry
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon1502 View Post
Lol yeh that makes sense.. Where abouts are you in the UK? If your in the north west I can point you to a good reputable breeder (20yrs experince) and after you have chosen your beardie they spend a good 45mins with you going through the care of it and they also give you a care sheet and phone number to take away incase anything goes wrong or if you have any questions
im in the west midlands lol not sure if thats a bit far? x
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 15-01-2013, 11:50 PM
tomcannon's Avatar
5 Star Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pembs, Wales
Posts: 4,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighsuzanne View Post
im in the west midlands lol not sure if thats a bit far? x
Depends how far you want to travel! The best way is to assess the keeper before making any commitments. Ask questions like you did before and see how they answer. You weren't happy with the other breeders answers and now it would appear your not happy to purchase off them. Try starting a wanted thread in the classifieds section too, may be some breeders on here around your area.
__________________
*FOR SALE* 3 female Rankin Dragons and 6x2x2 fully custom stunning vivarium. Thread available here.

Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 16-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Arcadiajohn's Avatar
Premier Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West sussex
Posts: 7,429
Default

HI All,

so sorry for the delay :-( v busy at present.

ok lets clear this all up.

You really dont want T8! it just wont re-create a wild index at the depthn that you require.

You DO need to look quickly at getting a bigger viv. You will never maintain a thermal gradient for a desert species in 24". Now a gradient from hot to cool and light to shade is ESSENTIAL to the D3 cycle. without access to these thermal gradients it is unlikley that the D3 cycle can fully complete.

the slimline T5 fitting is ideal as it comes with everything that is needed. A nice slime fitting, all the electronics built in and the reflector. We even give you the right lamp for FREE that saves over £30.00 on its own.

However in your case where you are going to have to increase the size of your viv it maybe better to get seperates as the controller has clever tech that allows you to use longer lamps without having to buy a new unit.

so i would buy an ACRE1U5. this is a 24-39w single controller. This will run either a 24w 22" lamp or a 39w 34" High Output T5 lamp.

then get a FD3P24T5 D3+ 22" lamp. depending on teh actual size of you viv it may need to go slightly corner to corner accross the roof. if teh viv is 24" internally then it will go in.

The ALRS24 which is a 24w reflector.

or even easier and if you are going to buy a lighting upgrade when you upgrade the viv Tom is right the UVFLOOD is simply fantastic. It is D3+ 12% in its output and only 30cms long. It again is plug and play with all electronics, Flood reflector and the again the lamp for free. here is a link D3 UV Flood Lamp : Arcadia Reptile

if you are going to keep the small viv for a while the flood is the best bet. You can then also fit it into your bigger viv and use it as a wide basking zone alongside a longer T5.

i hope that this is clear, if not please let me know!!

good luck

john
__________________
John Courteney-Smith MRSB.

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 16-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighsuzanne View Post
Been trying to find a uvb light iv been told the best on the market at the minute are the Arcadia ones but wasn't sure if this is all down to personal preference's if the repti glo or exo terra are they just as good?
Also could you give me the exact name been shopping around and tbh there are a lot to choose from I will need the highest % I think 10-12% for my baby beardie about 12 weeks old?
and then the basking light could people give me the bulb and watt so again I can do some shopping around, im not using a red heat light I don't think as my house is pretty dam warm I think possibly to warm so thinking against the heat mat and red bulb :s peoples advice would be great as im a new beardie owner the breeder Im getting him/her off says she just uses the light stripe and bulb and as a breeder I must admit this must be fine for them any way thank you in advance xx
Arcadia are the best bulbs by far and we use T5 arcadia tubes with our bearded dragons in our reptile centre.
If you do go for T5 you will need a T5 controller and reflector as well.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What light do i need for my beardie? toddger Lizards 8 09-11-2011 07:04 PM
Beardie light.. rosey123 Lizards 1 03-01-2011 11:00 AM
Beardie uv light? Crd86 Lizards 4 19-06-2008 10:13 PM
light for beardie Myatt72 Lizards 3 28-05-2007 05:28 PM
UV Light for Beardie lucie Lizards 2 09-02-2007 09:10 PM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:33 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)