UVB light for beardie dragon - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 15-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Regular
Default UVB light for beardie dragon

Been trying to find a uvb light iv been told the best on the market at the minute are the Arcadia ones but wasn't sure if this is all down to personal preference's if the repti glo or exo terra are they just as good?
Also could you give me the exact name been shopping around and tbh there are a lot to choose from I will need the highest % I think 10-12% for my baby beardie about 12 weeks old?
and then the basking light could people give me the bulb and watt so again I can do some shopping around, im not using a red heat light I don't think as my house is pretty dam warm I think possibly to warm so thinking against the heat mat and red bulb :s peoples advice would be great as im a new beardie owner the breeder Im getting him/her off says she just uses the light stripe and bulb and as a breeder I must admit this must be fine for them any way thank you in advance xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-01-2013, 06:34 PM
5 Star Member

Arcadia is indeed the best brand of UVB - more importantly the T5 model. All Exo Terra's etc are T8 but also use old technology, I think even ArcadiaJohn on here says that no T8 (even Arcadia) is good enough to recreate the exposure they would get in the wild. So it's not personal preference, it's that Arcadia T5's are genuinely the best (plus you only have to change the bulb once a year which is a bonus!). You can have a nosey around their very helpful website > Arcadia Reptile : Arcadia Products Plc < or Arcadiajohn on here yourself.

As the beardy you are getting is quite young, it's even more important that he gets the very best UVB - Arcadia T5 12% with reflector, going 2/3 - 3/4 the length of the tank is the best you can provide. It's easiest (and often cheapest) to order these online.

Heat bulb you can go with a standard household bulb, spot light or halogen (attached to a thermostat!). Watt depends on your setup - I would get a range of watts and test them all out (don't think you'll need 100W or above though).

If the red light and heat mat is for night time temperatures - don't bother. They require no heating at night at all, they can cope with it easily (and it's actually far better for them to be cooled at night)
ashleighsuzanne likes this.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 15-01-2013, 06:46 PM
Premier Member

thanks

yep im happy to help.

the only way to choose what system is right for you is with the size of enclosure in mind.

what is the size of your viv?

john
ashleighsuzanne likes this.

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Regular

ah this is brilliant thank you iv found a Arcida uvb as its the ones im after being the best but if I send a link would ou check it out see if its the right one don't want to order the wrong thing haha its the 15" I think im after
Arcadia D3+ Reptile Lamp 12.0 Flourescent Tube - ALL SIZES | eBay
I actually think this is the wrong one because it say T8 not T5 but im having trouble finding a T5 one :S ill keep looking thank you so much for your advice its great ill get a lower watt bulb possibly 80watt?
yes the heatmat and red bulb is just for night time use lol so I was just doing away with them and just having heat throught out the day.

My tank I no is small (for an older beardie) but iv just built it not for a beardie originally for a leopard gecko but after much debate and as a first reptile want something that isn't nocturnal for one and was between the gecko and bearded dragons any ways babbling on there.... so my tank is only 2ftx15x15" so I no its small but its only for the first few months till I start on the new viv the breeder herself said it should last quite a while and will be fine but I am going to make a 4ft vivarium. we have worked the lights out and such and everything fit.
hope this makes sense again thanks xx
Old 15-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Regular

ARCADIA REPTILE LIGHTING CONTROLLER IP64 T5 T8 LIGHT UNIT DRY VIVARIUM | eBay
maybe this is the right one? (uvb light)
Old 15-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Regular

sorry just thought I think that's just the controller itself and not the actual bulb.
Also were do I get the fitting for this bulb lol
such a n00bie
:P xx
Old 15-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Forum Citizen

Why dont you look at getting the Arcadia slimline set up? It comes with everything you need including tube and reflector, save you having to buy everything seperately and costs pretty much the same as it would if you brought your starter, tube and reflector seperately. Its all made to fit together so the tube is built into the reflector and it only has 1 wire going into it. It looks better and a lot neater than having 2 wires going into your viv.. Again this is the T5 12% tube, like others have said.. wouldnt recommend any other UV tube if not only because it lasts twice as long as any other on the market.

Arcadia Slimline Vivarium Canopy and T5 Lamp

For a 4ft viv you would be looking at the 39w tube (3ft)
Old 15-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Forum Citizen

Just a quick note on ur viv.. I know that you know that it isnt big enough but I think you have the wrong reasoning behind this. The reason isnt neccaserally so the rep has space to move about, The reason is that in a bearded dragons viv you need a wide range in tempreature (about 15C difference from hottest to coldest) and you will struggle to get this range in a smaller viv. This could result in a cold draggon which cannot digest his food, or a hot dragon that could become dehydrated.
My advice would be (to save money) wait until you have your 4x2x2 viv built otherwise you will be spending money on 2 lots of UV equipment which can be quiet expensive!
tomcannon and ashleighsuzanne like this.

Last edited by bluemoon1502; 15-01-2013 at 08:16 PM..
Old 15-01-2013, 07:54 PM
5 Star Member

As blue has said that's the UVB you want.

You started a thread a while back about your setup and mentioned your 2ft vivarium. A few us of did reply stating that you cannot use a 2ft viv for a BD regardless of age. The reason a viv this size is recommended is more down to the temperature gradient that needs to be provided rather than the space for a BD. They require a very high basking spot 105-115f and then a cool end temp of 75f ish, this is impossible in a 2ft viv. You will either have to allow your basking temp to suffer in order to stop your BD from overheating and dehydrating but this means that he hasn't got high enough temps to digest food. Or you allow your cool end to suffer by having a high basking temp so he can digest food but then he cannot cool himself down and will overheat and become dehydrated.

Either situation will cause ill health, trust me you need a larger viv even if he's only a couple of inches himself.

Old 15-01-2013, 07:54 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon1502 View Post
Just a quick note on ur viv.. I know that you know that it isnt big enough but I think you have the wrong reasoning behind this. The reason isnt neccaserally so the rep has space to move about, The reason is that in a bearded dragons viv you need a wide range in tempreature (about 15C from hottest to coldest) and you will struggle to get this range in a smaller viv. This could result in a cold draggon which cannot digest his food, or a hot dragon that could become dehydrated.
My advice would be (to save money) wait until you have your 4x2x2 viv built otherwise you will be spending money on 2 lots of UV equipment which can be quiet expensive!
Gah blue, quicker than Aguero you are!
bluemoon1502 likes this.