Food advice - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 18-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Egg

Vinnie, the boy, he sits on Zabba. Vinnie is the one that isn't eating properly. He likes to get the best basking spot but it's the girl, Zabba, that is eating. I have put a picture up in the photo section, Vinnie and Zabba. From frist view, this vivarium is not up to standard at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-01-2013, 08:26 PM
5 Star Member

Which one is which (particularly in the last 2 pictures)? To me it looks like one is dominating the UVB (i.e. the one sitting closer to top of the branch). It's not just heat that they will compete for.

It does look like an overhaul is needed. Their tank looks too small (possibly a 3ft they're in now?), different substrate, thermometers and thermostats, better UVB. I know this isn't down to you but it looks like you (and your purse) might have your work cut out!

Can't really see their condition in those pictures though

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 18-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Egg

If you're able to, put a picture up of the setup and a bit more information - then people can give you some pointers. Important things to mention are:
- Temperatures (particularly basking and cool temperatures) I cannot even see what the temperature currently is in the tank. I have ordered a temperature gage so I can see what this is.

- Are the temperatures controlled? I cannot see any kind of temperature control on the tank. The only thing there is, is something for the UVB light.

- Details of UVB (source, brand, age, percentage, size) One of the problems with this tank, I cannot get into this to see what source, brand, percentage it is. Same goes with the ceramic lamp in there. I have no idea how on earth to get into this tank properly, will have to switch things off to be able to get in there to see it.

- Size of setup Looks like a 4ft tank.

- Substrate I believe it's beech, that is what I was told to get.

- How long you've had the dragon Only a couple of days

- Typical diet The only thing I was told (as I didn't get them myself) is that they have their pellets, crickets, mealworms. I don't know anything else that they have been eating. Wish I had at least seen the people that they came from as I could've asked a lot more information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgorst View Post
Which one is which (particularly in the last 2 pictures)? To me it looks like one is dominating the UVB (i.e. the one sitting closer to top of the branch). It's not just heat that they will compete for.

It does look like an overhaul is needed. Their tank looks too small (possibly a 3ft they're in now?), different substrate, thermometers and thermostats, better UVB. I know this isn't down to you but it looks like you (and your purse) might have your work cut out!

Can't really see their condition in those pictures though
Vinnie is the one on the branch. He is the one that hogs this. Zabba normally sits on another wooden log, but for some reason she is sitting on him which I haven't seen her do before - normally the other way around. I think I will just have to get the credit card out and buy them something new. Was looking at Care Sheet for looking after your Bearded Dragon and they do have some in there. I wasn't prepared for them, so havent been able to plan anything for them, as if I knew they were going to arrive I would have got all of this sorted out!!
Old 18-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippa View Post
Vinnie, the boy, he sits on Zabba. Vinnie is the one that isn't eating properly. He likes to get the best basking spot but it's the girl, Zabba, that is eating. I have put a picture up in the photo section, Vinnie and Zabba. From frist view, this vivarium is not up to standard at all.
Like I said, they need splitting. Bearded dragons live alone in the wild and only come together to mate. No point me wasting my time explaining things if you can't sort out the simplest thing first.
Old 18-01-2013, 08:38 PM
5 Star Member

I'm afraid it sounds like it would be easier to start from scratch with these guys - if the tank they're in is already a 4ft x 2ft then it will be easier to separate if you wish.

Shopping list for a standard tank:
- 4ft x 2ft x 2ft viv
- Light bulb (can be a normal household, spotlight or halogen) + fittings
- Thermostat (for a light-emitting bulb a dimming stat is best suited)
- Digital thermometers (I'm afraid dial/analogue ones are beyond useless)
- UVB, reflector and starter (the best UVB around is Arcadia T5's, you would need a 12%. Also if you do split them up there are dual starters so you can run 2 tanks off the same one, they're also much more cost effective)
- Substrate wise is down to you, some prefer play sand, lino, slate, tiles. Have a nosey around and see what would be best for you
- Supplements (you'll need a multivit (Repashy calcium plus is good) and calcium powder)
- Your decor (bowls, branches etc)

And that's all I can think of atm.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exzhal View Post
Like I said, they need splitting. Bearded dragons live alone in the wild and only come together to mate. No point me wasting my time explaining things if you can't sort out the simplest thing first.
You're being rude.

Last edited by vgorst; 18-01-2013 at 08:43 PM..
Old 18-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Egg

Quote:
I'm afraid it sounds like it would be easier to start from scratch with these guys - if the tank they're in is already a 4ft x 2ft then it will be easier to separate if you wish.

Shopping list for a standard tank:
- 4ft x 2ft x 2ft viv
- Light bulb (can be a normal household, spotlight or halogen) + fittings
- Thermostat (for a light-emitting bulb a dimming stat is best suited)
- Digital thermometers (I'm afraid dial/analogue ones are beyond useless)
- UVB, reflector and starter (the best UVB around is Arcadia T5's, you would need a 12%. Also if you do split them up there are dual starters so you can run 2 tanks off the same one, they're also much more cost effective)
- Substrate wise is down to you, some prefer play sand, lino, slate, tiles. Have a nosey around and see what would be best for you
- Supplements (you'll need a multivit (Repashy calcium plus is good) and calcium powder)
- Your decor (bowls, branches etc)

And that's all I can think of atm.

EDIT:

You're being rude.
Thank you, I do appreciate your help.
Old 18-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
You're being rude.
If someone comes to ask for advice but ignores the advice given it's not really worth giving more. Beardies should never be kept together under no circumstances. You can check my post history I've given a lot of advice for these lizards in the past and have kept and bred them for years before moving on to lizards last year, I'm after the welfare for the animals and if he/she wants that to they to split them up to avoid possible casualties in the future.
Old 18-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exzhal View Post
If someone comes to ask for advice but ignores the advice given it's not really worth giving more. Beardies should never be kept together under no circumstances. You can check my post history I've given a lot of advice for these lizards in the past and have kept and bred them for years before moving on to lizards last year, I'm after the welfare for the animals and if he/she wants that to they to split them up to avoid possible casualties in the future.
Geez!! I haven't ignored you, I have only asked for advice TONIGHT.
Old 18-01-2013, 08:53 PM
5 Star Member

Sorry, missed your other post. If you were referring to beech chips then ultimately the decision is up to you. Personally, I would never use it. If it is swallowed they're large, sharp and indigestible, it could cause immense damage (and pain) to their delicate insides which would result in huge vet bills and/or a dead dragon. They really are worse than small, particulate substrates such as play sand as a small amount can be passed easily (providing husbandry is right).

The safest bet is to go for some sort of lino, tiles, slate or reptile carpet. But there are tonnes of threads regarding substrate. When you have some spare time have a search for them.