Food advice - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 18-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Egg
Default Food advice

Hello all,

I have been given two 18 month old Beardies. I wanted a bit of advice on food. One of them has started to eat a bit of fruit and they have some mealworms which she eats. However, the boy doesn't appear to really eat. I don't see them during the day but when I come home from work. Is there certain foods that generally goes down well with them? I have just ordered some crickets and locusts for them and have their pellets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Forum Citizen

Try some watercress, they LOVE it!!

Mwahahaha!
Old 18-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Egg

Thanks, ok will try this. I'm sure i'm worrying about nothing really, but just haven't seen Vinnie eat anything yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Forum Citizen

They also like a bit of Mango, this should only be fed rarely though and used more as a treat.

But hopefully it will get them eating.

Mwahahaha!
Old 18-01-2013, 07:21 PM
5 Star Member

Remember that any reptile has a settling in period, it can take them a few weeks before they start eating properly. So, depending on how long you've had them, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Pellets are rubbish, either feed them to the live food or chuck. You should concentrate on providing them dusted and gut loaded live foods and a variety of veg.

Food that goes down well (and good for them) are leafy greens such as watercress, rocket, dandelion leaves, spring greens, pak choy, lambs lettuce, basil and mint. Squash is also quite a good food. Avoid feeding foods that are high in oxalates too often (spinach, parsley etc). Useful site > Untitled Document

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 18-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgorst View Post
Remember that any reptile has a settling in period, it can take them a few weeks before they start eating properly. So, depending on how long you've had them, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Pellets are rubbish, either feed them to the live food or chuck. You should concentrate on providing them dusted and gut loaded live foods and a variety of veg.

Food that goes down well (and good for them) are leafy greens such as watercress, rocket, dandelion leaves, spring greens, pak choy, lambs lettuce, basil and mint. Squash is also quite a good food. Avoid feeding foods that are high in oxalates too often (spinach, parsley etc). Useful site > Untitled Document
I've only had them since Weds. One of them has settled in nicely, she likes her live food. Its just Vinnie that's not. Thinking that I will have to get them a new vivarium, as the one that came with them only has one ceramic lamp and the UV lamp in there. Everywhere I have looked tells me that they have to have a lot more than that. Just not sure it has been set up correctly, so that's something I really need to look at.
Old 18-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Egg

That's a really good list for their food. Some of them are quite bizarre, Cheerios?? Well I shall get some food prepared for them tomorrow, hopefully something will tempt him. Waiting for the live food to arrive, hopefully get him eating by then.
Old 18-01-2013, 07:42 PM
5 Star Member

Dragons are so different, some prefer live food whereas others prefer their greens. You're still new to these individuals so it'll take a bit of time

Wednesday isn't long at all, there is also brumation to consider. There are plenty of threads in the lizard section about this if you're interested.

If you're able to, put a picture up of the setup and a bit more information - then people can give you some pointers. Important things to mention are:
- Temperatures (particularly basking and cool temperatures)
- Are the temperatures controlled?
- How are the temperatures measured?
- Details of UVB (source, brand, age, percentage, size)
- Size of setup
- Substrate
- How long you've had the dragon
- Typical diet
- Supplements

It's a lot I know, but all these little things are important in making sure these guys are happy and healthy!

As they seem to be housed together, I would definitely consider getting another vivarium and splitting them. This could be another cause of his lack of appetite. If it is indeed a male-female pairing, it often results in dominance issues, injuries, eggs and generally ill, unhappy dragons. They may appear to be fine but it's often little looks and body postures that we don't see that show us there is a problem.

Yeah... I wouldn't go feeding them cheerios it is American and they do some odd things over there!

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 18-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Egg

Thanks. ill do that later then. When I got them (as a present) I was a bit concerned with the tank as it hardly has anything in it, just the two lights. I was going to change the UVB light anyway as not sure how long its been in there and know they have to be changed regularly.

The are male and female. They have always been together. Their previous owners couldn't have them anymore just simply due to persoanl issues. But they have always been together since very young.
Old 18-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippa View Post
Thanks. ill do that later then. When I got them (as a present) I was a bit concerned with the tank as it hardly has anything in it, just the two lights. I was going to change the UVB light anyway as not sure how long its been in there and know they have to be changed regularly.

The are male and female. They have always been together. Their previous owners couldn't have them anymore just simply due to persoanl issues. But they have always been together since very young.
They still need splitting really. One beardie will always dominate over the other and you'll have one unhappy dragon even if you don't notice it (which most can't notice it if you're new to keeping them). The most common sign of dominance, which far too many people misplace as affection to each other, is one sitting on top of the other - the one on top is the dominant one and isn't allowing the other to get the best basking spots, less food in some cases, and forcing the other to hide away.

There's a lot of advice I can give but I'd need to know all the information vgorst asked for in the other reply, but none of it is even worth giving if you won't split them because either way you're gonna have an unhappy and eventually a very unhealthy beardie.